Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a 1250 list for gunline wolves and I'm bumping it up to 1500 now. I still feel that gunline for the wolves is a viable strategy so tell me what you think of this list.

HQ
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
plasma cannon

Rune Priest
master of runes
storm caller / living lightning

Rune Priest
living lightning / JotWW

Elite
Lone Wolf
terminator armor
motw
storm shield

Lone Wolf
terminator armor
motw
storm shield

Troop
Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback
TL lascannon

Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback
TL lascannon

Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback
TL lascannon

Heavy
Long Fangsx5
missile launcherx4

Long Fangsx5
lascannonx2
heavy bolterx2

Long Fangsx5
lascannonx2
heavy bolterx2

Total:1505

The psychic powers will change depending on who I'm facing (such as JotWWx2 for tau/tyranid or tempest's wrath for BA for example) and I have the master of runes for so I can use storm caller every turn. The rune priests will set up with the long fangs in the back as well.

Bjorn is the centerpiece of my army and will ALWAYS have units surrounding him so I'm not worried about living relic and the saga of the majesty will benefit my squads surrounding him. For DoW deployment I always love having a dread early on the field too. He is the piece I'm least willing to change but if someone can convince me otherwise, let me hear it.

The lone wolves are my tarpit to stand in front of my line and are meant to deal with infantry. I feel I don't need a chainfist because I have enough anti tank weaponry. That is the reason for the MotW, so I can get as many attacks as possible against incoming infantry. Against other gunline lists I'll think of changing these out for more shooty stuff or maybe two TWC so I do not lose the kill points.

Long fangs have so many possibilities but I tried to give them a good mix of anti tank and anti infantry. Also... I don't have enough missile launchers as those thing are stupidly hard and expensive to come by.

And I think that's just about it. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Las/Plas razors instead, drop the HB for more ML's, I would spend less on the HQ's for more troops / fire support. The Lone Wolves really need to have CF's, it makes them so much more effective and gives you some really nice anti-dread / big nasty.

**EDIT: Don't post at 4:00 am when your drunk :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see why you like Bjorn. he can be quite awesome especially with that plasma cannon.
That said you are spending alot on HQs I would suggest dropping either Bjorn, or one of the Rune priests.

The Lone wolves fill no role your grey hunters can do except hunting monsters, but those should be shot to pieces by your heavy weapons anyway.
and with the points left from these add more GH in razors.

The longfangs should be bumped up to max squad size of 6 and get some more heavy bolters for anti horde.

I've tried not to suggest to many changes in your list as from the sound of it you like your current list.

hope you can use my ideas

·
Registered
155 Posts
Long Fangs - 150
6x; 3x ML; 2x LC
ok this is wrong. again i have to point out that you should double check your points, this isnt op, this is the first comment. 6 fangs with 3 missiles and 2 lasscannons is 170.

also, most of that post i just shook my head.
you can't give bjorn double auto cannons. in my opinion, thunder clap is pure crap, and you can't have 2 man squads of wolf guard. im sure i sound rude but if you don't know how the rules work then don't give people advice. Because that was BAD advice.

he did have a point with the lass plass razors though, not solely because of what it can kill, mostly because the closer they get, the more shots you get.
with just the RB you would have:
1 shot at 24.1" that wounds on a 2+ and takes away armor(lass)
2 shots at 12.1" ditto (lass and plasma)
and 3 when they are all up in your face.

i usually give the troop inside a plasma gun too. that way i get 3 shots at 24 and 5 at 12 or under.

also you are spending too much in HQ's. unless you know there wont be a lot of terrain id say drop master of runes for storm caller. it's not really worth it. i like them vanilla, 100 points and they work great.

your choice of anti infantry was wrong in the OP. why lone wolves for infantry, they excel against big bad guys, not little hordes. if you want to have anti infantry use thunderwolf cavalry. but the best gunlines are those that don't need the protection.

if you run enough plasma and big guns you won't have to worry about the enemy getting close, you'll want them closer so you can kill them off. my 1500 point gun line would be like this:

bjorn
plasma cannon

rune priest
chooser
wolf tail talisman
living lightning
jaws

---

grey hunters x5
plasma
lass plass RB

grey hunters x5
plasma
lass plass RB

grey hunters x5
plasma
lass plass RB

grey hunters x5
plasma
lass plass RB

---

long fangs x5
2 lass
2 missiles
lass plas RB

long fangs x6
5x missiles

long fangs x5
4x missiles

the rune priest isnt vanilla because i had 15 extra points. you could also find a way to add in wolf guard with a combi plasma for more shots when they get up close and personal.
missiles everywhere because they can switch from horde to tank easily. 7 lasscannons. not a whole lot but enough to pop that 1 landraider you'll see. not many people bring 2 in 1500 points because then it's a third of your army.

lots of target saturation and like i said, the closer they get the more plasma you can unload and smite them down. i kept bjorn in there because you wanted him and because he is pretty sweet.

this isn't the most effective list at 1500 but it will work nicely. and if you want more anti infantry, then replace bjorn with:

wolf lord
thunder wolf mount
frost blade
storm shield
runic armor

and use the spare points to beef something up. the wolf lord will wipe a lot off the table by himself. i played a game where he took down a librarian in terminator armor , a 5 man group of vanilla terminators and a 10 man squad of assault marines, and he still lived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I should have been more clear about the whole double AC dread (along with the rest of my drunk post :p). I meant to swap Bjorn for an elite dread with double AC and that it would make the unit more effective if he wanted to keep a dread IMO.

I wasn't clear about the wolf guard too sorry, I meant to say to have 3 men in the unit 2 with combi-meltas. My bad.

I would normally agree with you about thunder clap, but the ability to tank shock infantry unit into a "please template me" formation with the Razors then hit them with a combination of a big template ST3 AP5 plus flamers is just to sweet. The reason it becomes effective in this kind of list if because you can have the template touch the razor giving it a more range of effectiveness.

The list you posted up was what I was kinda getting at (but being drunk about :p), the only thing though is that I would keep those flamers. Plasma is a great tool, but having flamers really helps your anti-infantry. Because this list lacks meltaguns, your going to have to pour fire into higher AV's, maybe not getting those anti-infantry shots with the ML's you need. The flamer would also be useful if your rushing an objective and trying to dislodge a unit.

O and that Wolf Lord you posted (from my experience) also rips units apart. The only thing I would add to him is Saga of the Warrior Born for more ridiculousness. (You could drop the rune armor for this).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Go with trueclaw, that's a solid list and he knows what he's doing. Maybe Get some WG w/ combi melts in your razors if possible and consider meltas over plasmas for your GH though.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
True's list isn't bad. I would go with a standard RP without the extra crap and I wouldn't take LL and JotWW at the same time, take the cover save power to shroud your razors. I like his Lord but if I were going to take one I would do a SS, FB, TWM, SotWB, and maybe a WTT or WTN. I wouldn't send him in a gunline list though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think I should have been more clear about the whole double AC dread (along with the rest of my drunk post :p). I meant to swap Bjorn for an elite dread with double AC and that it would make the unit more effective if he wanted to keep a dread IMO.
lol nice. didn't know you had a few. sorry if i sounded pissy lol.

i prolly wouldn't go with a ven dread if that's what you meant, otherwise you were just talking about his force org slot in which case, lol, yeah.

also, i was impressed with the idea of tank shocking and then using thunderclap and flamers but i still think that S3 just makes it worthless. if you want a bunch of S3 hits i would go with murderous hurricane. you may hit a few less but you don't have to be as close, plus it slows units down.

i haven't been using Saga of the warrior born because i feel it isn't worth the 35 points. don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but those 35 points could be used better else where. i would rather just have 6 attacks, then 5 and a 2+ armor AND still be cheaper than maybe have 2 or 3 more attacks. Most of the time he kills what he's fighting off in my opponents assault phase anyway. ten man assault squad, kills 5, wins combat by 5, they don't make leadership of 4 or 5ish, and i catch them with Int5. they take 5 saves fail 1 on average and im left fighting 4 guys in power armor in his assault phase. even if they make all their saves, i have enough attacks to kill them off if im lucky.

i think the lasscannons should be good enough for facing AV12 to AV14. don't you think 7 S9 shots a turn with at least 1 full round of shots, if you know what your doing, can take down a landraider? and if it can't you can still fire the missiles and try to glance it to death. sadly it's not perfect but i feel 7 lasscannons should be enough to take down what you need dead.

also i don't think flamers are needed in a list where you want to be at the closest almost 12" away from your enemy. table them for max points, don't worry so much about objectives, if he stops on one then you have a stationary target. seriously, if by turn 4 you haven't decimated half of his army your doing it wrong, and if your up 750 points you should be able to mop up well enough. even without upgrades 20 grey hunters is still pretty scary if you only have 10 yourself.

some people say that a horde list will take down my gun line, i say bring it. genestealers infiltrating 18 inches away you say? 50 of them you say?
well let me say 32 bolter shots that take away your armor saves, 18 plasma that wound on 2+(more than half twin linked btw), 7 lasscannons that speak for themselves, and small blast templet's, 11 of them. that along with you not having grenades so you assault through area terrain and i go first at Int4 if you make a full fleet and a 6" move through cover? again, i say bring it on.

what about elite armies like blood angels? well you have 7 lass cannons, 9 plasma guns, and a plasma cannon. a good shot from bjorn can wipe 300ish points of blood angels right off the field.

and orcs? ha. 11 blast templet's a turn and bolter fire... plus either bjorns plasma cannon or a wolf lord on a thunderwolf? haha. bye greeny. everyone's gotta die sometime, and right now seems to be your "sometime."
of course with some luck it could go either way but still, a well built list with scary units and a good deployment will win you the game, with just a wee bit o luck.

(also i'd like to mention the mental affect of both bjorn and the wolf lord on a thunderwolf mount. anyone who know's what they are [like right after you tell them] should be pretty scared of them. they aren't going to send a lot that way unless they send everything. so with using this to your advantage you can kind of funnel your opponent one way or the other.)

And Gen.ahab, i took Jaws and lightning because i feel storm caller isn't as good as everyone cracks it up to be, not without master of runes. i would rather be able to switch between the two and still fire every turn then waste a turn of shooting to give a 5+ cover save when i should have a 4+ if i deploy right, at least where i need it. honestly though, on second thought i would switch that to murderous hurricane. (jaws) although it's well worth it against a few armies i feel slowing scary units down may be well worth it in this type of list.

oh and PLASMA FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol
melta is awesome but who wants to be within 6" in a gun line? seriously? if im that close i'll just assault with bjorn, S10. he can do it. I'll bet the game on it, no really, thats what i intend to do lol. imma bet the game on it.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Melta really isn't needed unless they spam av14. A LF drop pod of MM works wonders on that for less but I suppose this is a gun line..... Which I hate. I don't like putting plas on GH because I really don't like guns that might end up killing the man who fires it, the potential is just to much to go with it. I would also put some meltas in there just to be safe. I like the extra cover save in this because your main objective, other than pumping the other sob full of bolter shells, is keeping those razors going. I don't like planing for the best scenario so I don't assume I will ever have those terrain cover saves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts