Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is soooo hard for me to stick with one army and I invariably begin collecting small forces of a bunch of them. I want to begin taking my two favorite armies seriously however and I'm looking at upping my lists into more competitive builds. So without further ado here is my gunline.

HQ
Bjorn the Fell-Handed
plasma cannon

Rune Priest
wolf tail talisman
JotWW / living lightning

Rune Priest
storm caller / JotWW

Troops
Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback
TL lascannon

Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback
TL lascannon

Grey Hunterx5
flamer
razorback

Heavy
Long Fangsx5
missile launcherx4

Long Fangsx5
missile launcherx4

Long Fangsx5
missile launcherx4

Total: 1235

Bjorn is pretty much the only thing I want to stay on the list because of awesome plasma goodness and I think he would be a fun, random element to an otherwise more competitive list. The rune priests go in the lascannon razorbacks to take advantage of the protection and the storm caller from the hull of the razorback. Here is my one big question in that I'm not sure what psychic powers I want between the two I have up above and JotWW, and if I can only use one per turn without them being a master when and how should I use them?

I intend to simply stick everything in a gunline with bjorn between two razorbacks to protect his rear and side armor. I've actually never played space marines in any form so any tips are welcome too. I have read the wolves tactica and that was very helpful too.

And on a final note, am I right in understanding my best bet to deal with a LR is to hit with my lascannons or get a ton of glances with my missile launchers?

The armies I typically play are Tau, IG, generic SMx2, BA, Eldar if that helps.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You may want to read through the codex..... your rune priests are illegal. Space marines, especially wolves, don't do gun line. Another thing is that you have far to many points in HQs even for a 1850 let alone a 1250. I would say take one to two rune priests 2-3 gray hunters in rhinos with WG PF CM pack leaders, two groups of 5 ml or 3 groups of 3 ml LF units and maybe a unit of TWC if you can fit it.

EDIT: your best bet with a LR is to melta the SOB into oblivion.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I didn't notice that little thing about them all having to be unique and I've adjusted the above list accordingly. So does that mean that both psychic powers have to be unique or can the two priests share one power and the second be a different one?

If I need melta than would it be a good idea to replace the flamers with meltaguns?

As for the HQ's I really love Bjorn and was going to get a Forgeworld venerable SW dread for him and I think I still may include him. Maybe I could drop one rune priest to fill out the grey hunter squads but it just seems like those rune priests are soooo damn good.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
It just says you may not take the same combination of powers so one may be the same and yeah, give them meltas. Rune priests are probably the best hq choice in the book tbh. You can still use Bjorn in larger point games if you want but for this size I would say you should give the old man a day off.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much Mr. ahab. Here is some rep for all your troubles! Perhaps I will leave Bjorn at home and instead get some of those pack leaders you spoke of. In addition I'll look at some regular dreads in a pod or filling out my troops.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want to build gunline, spamming small GH with las/plas or TL las razorbacks (troops for the sake of las razorbacks), LF with ML and added WG with Cyclones (and maybe more las razorbacks here - just fielding more lascannons, even though terminators can't ride in) can come to such an amount of high-power long-range shots that your all-shooty list may actually work.

The calculations of numbers and points is up to you. :wink: Good luck!

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and for the long fangs I was wondering where everyone gets their missile launchers besides trading? Are there different models of them so the squad doesn't all look uniform?

·
Registered
324 Posts
www.bitsandkits.co.uk

they go quickly though so you need to check all the time and order when they restock.

regarding making them unique, you can easily do that with all the stuff you get with the wolf pack kit.

I made mine with running or walking legs and holding the launcher in one hand and a chainsword in the other to represent counter attack, they look pretty cool I think

·
Registered
648 Posts
SW gunlines can be nasty.

Bjorn is pricey but allows you to go first reliably, so look into HK missiles to boost the power of your alpha strike.

For your RP, go for living lightning. D6 S7 shots with unlimited range is a wonderful thing.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
despite the price of Bjorn, he can take a free plasma cannon, and he is pretty indestructible, with AV 13, venerable and a 5+ invulnerable, he should be able to blast with his plasma cannon and get into combat where he will rape stuff, including enemy monsters and vehicles. he gives really shooty goodness in a gunline army.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if it's just for fun keep bjorn, i think he is a great unit but a bit pricey.

id switch to lass plass razors too. gives you more shots when they get close.

if your going for a gun line you might want to get plasma inside the razors instead of melta actually. that way your shooting three shots at 24" and 5 at 12" or closer. maybe a WG with a combi melta in case of a land raider that makes it past all the lass cannons.

and defiantly use living lightning on your priests. they can open up the cans for bjorn so your not relying completely on missiles and lass cannons.

also dont forget what happens if bjorn dies, keep him close to home so he is either an additional objective at home or you dont offer up the extra kill points.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the great advice! I'll be keeping it all in mind as I finally bring this force together. :victory:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts