Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through his entry and I was astounded that this guy is the cost of an infantry squad. He has the initiative that beats all but the most speedy of opponents, a weapon skill and ballistic skill on par with a space marine captain, 2 wounds, a pistol that has the special rules of a sniper in addition to being AP2 and though unfortunately the range of a pistol. He also has a demolition pack to take out tanks. The close range of these two weapons is offset by his ability to appear from reserve one inch away from an enemy unit. Against units with low leadership, he can use his sniper pistol to pin them, then wait until next turn to shoot again, and unleash his 6 close combat attacks with his absurdly good weapon skill and ability to wound on twos.

Does any other army have anyone who even comes close to this guy?

·
4,491 Posts
Best tactic i found was to appear in cover and drop a Demo on a nearby squad.
Then in the opponents turn he gets shot to bits, or if your lucky they will charge him.

At the end of the day, he is just an expensive 1-shot Basilisk that costs a kill point.
Excellent on paper, but not so much in practice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine he might be better if he dropped in behind a tank. Then at least he might be able to earn his points.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
loads of armies have guys like him, look at orks and the guy who can strike at I6 with his power feet, or the eldar with their phoenix lords and Eldrad Ulthuank, or the space wolves with Arjac Rockfist, able to throw a hammer and take out a tank. Marbo kicks ass, but he cant be expected to last more than a turn. the best tactic would be to bring him in, blow up a tank and kill some infantry, then say bye to him in a hail of gunfire and pie-plates

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
umm there is no ork who strikes at i6 with power feet zagstruk strikes at i4

·
Registered
211 Posts
Marbo is amazing, he offers any IG army a level of tactical flexibility almost no other army can match. He can appear anywhere and has an excellent chance of destroying any unit with his demo charge. As it is AP2 its better against any infantry unit than a basilisk and more likely to hit. Sure he usually dies next round but so what, he has done his job.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Marbo is amazing, he offers any IG army a level of tactical flexibility almost no other army can match. He can appear anywhere and has an excellent chance of destroying any unit with his demo charge. As it is AP2 its better against any infantry unit than a basilisk and more likely to hit. Sure he usually dies next round but so what, he has done his job.
He's done his job, which includes giving your opponent a Kill Point.
He's good, but you have to be DAMN clever with how you use him, he's very fragile.

Think of him like a glass hammer...
Because he's a glass hammer unit.
Powerful if used right, but easily broken.

·
Registered
246 Posts
He's great for propaganda though. I've seen him used, then the opponent gets scared and tries to obliterate him, leaving the rest of the Guardsmen army virtually untouched.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Huh? He's a guardsman not a trygon, anybody who focuses more than a single squads shooting on him is a few cards short of a deck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
He's done his job, which includes giving your opponent a Kill Point.
He probably will give up a kill point, but odds are good that if he has done any good at all he has probably taken a kill point from the opponent, so thats a wash. Its the extra options he gives and the ability to remove a unit you otherwise struggle to reach (even if its just a stragglers hiding at the back of the board).

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
He probably will give up a kill point, but odds are good that if he has done any good at all he has probably taken a kill point from the opponent, so thats a wash. Its the extra options he gives and the ability to remove a unit you otherwise struggle to reach (even if its just a stragglers hiding at the back of the board).
Oh yes, as I said, he's not to be scoffed at, he has quite a lot of potential if used right.
But that's all he has, potential, he's not exceptionally powerful in any one regard, you have to use him very well for him to be worth while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts