Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to finishing this book yesterday, after it having sat on my shelf for months. An average novel in my opinion, not great although not terrible. Graham Mcneill didn't really capture the darkness of the Asrai and Athel Loren in my mind, and not really anything was investigated or revealed regarding the lives, nature or culture of the Elves.

I think the character development was also slightly rushed, we didn't really get a feel for Kyarno and Leofric as individuals. I also had small issues with the plot, the blurb reads about a terrible beastman plot to corrupt Athel Loren and unleash the forces of nature which would lay waste to all of Bretonnia. The battle between the Asrai (and Leofric) and the Beastmen is covered in around two chapters (out of 24 I think it was)...! So I felt it was a bit anti-climactic. But that having been said, I enjoyed the ending - it really makes you think.

Im aware that there won't be that many people out there who have read this book, considering its been out of print for quite a while now. But if there are any of you out there, what did you think?

And by the way this is by no means a criticism of Graham Mcneill, some of my favourite BL novels have been written by him. But this one falls short in my eyes im afraid. Now onto Gilead's Blood by Abnett and Vincent, that ones apparently meant to be awesome if reviews are to be believed. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read it a couple of years ago and it's one of my favourite BL fantasy books. That said, I haven't actually read much Warhammer Fantasy.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Finally got round to finishing this book yesterday, after it having sat on my shelf for months. An average novel in my opinion, not great although not terrible. Graham Mcneill didn't really capture the darkness of the Asrai and Athel Loren in my mind, and not really anything was investigated or revealed regarding the lives, nature or culture of the Elves.

I think the character development was also slightly rushed, we didn't really get a feel for Kyarno and Leofric as individuals. I also had small issues with the plot, the blurb reads about a terrible beastman plot to corrupt Athel Loren and unleash the forces of nature which would lay waste to all of Bretonnia. The battle between the Asrai (and Leofric) and the Beastmen is covered in around two chapters (out of 24 I think it was)...! So I felt it was a bit anti-climactic. But that having been said, I enjoyed the ending - it really makes you think.

Im aware that there won't be that many people out there who have read this book, considering its been out of print for quite a while now. But if there are any of you out there, what did you think?

And by the way this is by no means a criticism of Graham Mcneill, some of my favourite BL novels have been written by him. But this one falls short in my eyes im afraid. Now onto Gilead's Blood by Abnett and Vincent, that ones apparently meant to be awesome if reviews are to be believed. :)
Yes, I agree with the anti-climatical finale, a rather rushed one also. However, from this and Heldenhammer, I must give McNeil the credit of his excellent portrayel of the Beastmen. The almost ''tribal'' (Or I suppose Heard would fit better) duel between the Giant Wolf? And the larger Beast with the latter the victor and the former devolving into a spawn and being chained to become its pet, really captures the essence of the Cloven Ones.

The ending, in which Callard returns to his lands in Bretonnia, and discovers his venture into Athel Loren lasted over a century is... saddening, especially how he did not know his son Beren (I think?) to grow up.:(

Im suprised you -- infact anyone -- has read Guardians of the Forest, its certainly old, and I only bought it on a whim back in my Black Library youth.... ahhh... the days before the Horus Heresy destroys everything in competition....

Have you read Defenders of Ulthuan at all? That book -- especially the siege of Lothern -- is beyond mortal comprehension, it is fantastic.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Yes, I agree with the anti-climatical finale, a rather rushed one also. However, from this and Heldenhammer, I must give McNeil the credit of his excellent portrayel of the Beastmen. The almost ''tribal'' (Or I suppose Heard would fit better) duel between the Giant Wolf? And the larger Beast with the latter the victor and the former devolving into a spawn and being chained to become its pet, really captures the essence of the Cloven Ones.

The ending, in which Callard returns to his lands in Bretonnia, and discovers his venture into Athel Loren lasted over a century is... saddening, especially how he did not know his son Beren (I think?) to grow up.:(

Im suprised you -- infact anyone -- has read Guardians of the Forest, its certainly old, and I only bought it on a whim back in my Black Library youth.... ahhh... the days before the Horus Heresy destroys everything in competition....

Have you read Defenders of Ulthuan at all? That book -- especially the siege of Lothern -- is beyond mortal comprehension, it is fantastic.
I've read Guardians of the Forest, like you bobss it was many moons ago, and I enjoyed it considering I usually prefer my fantasy to be from a non-GW universe. To be honest I probably would never have read it if my closeest library didn't have it in, the same with the Ambassador Chronicles and Savage City...

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye, I agree with you there. :)

Im suprised you -- infact anyone -- has read Guardians of the Forest, its certainly old, and I only bought it on a whim back in my Black Library youth....
Yeah, I picked it up a fair few months back now, pre-owned off Amazon I think it was for around £3 or £4, alongside Gilead's Blood (Which I must say is fantastic so far).

No I havn't, seen it around though (Ebay/Amazon etc), I may pick it up then if its worth a read?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts