Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making up a guard list, and was wondering...

it says that infantry platoons consist of a command squad and 2-5 squads. thats cool, but does that command squad count as an HQ? or do you need a seperate Command Squad to act as the HQ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Guard Platoon has its own Command squad, which is lead by a Junior Officer. This does not count towards your HQ slot, you'll have to buy a separate one. I recommend a Senior Officer.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i have a command squad with a senior officer and some dudes, a command squad with a junior, 3 squads, a command squad with a junior, 3 squads, a command squad with a junior and 3 heavy wep squads

thats 1 HQ, 2 Troops and a heavy support?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Aue it's actually really nice as it gives us more leadership bubbles than just the one HQ.
Although it makes our army lists a tad confusing....yes i have 3 officers HQ's.....

Also note that only Junior officers can be chosen to go with the squads. Though they do have access to the armoury.

But as a side not i wounder why a Senior officer is recomended over the heroic senior officer....i would think additional leader ship would be good and the other wound would be amazing as he is esentially the back bone keeping your army from running.....or is this extra leadership not needed if you have a standard?

Also why not use the honorific imperalis on your hq over a senior officer....(stick a j/o in your HQ, add honorif instant HSO 5 points cheeper.)
Or am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Embrace the Junior Officer command squads. They are small, tightly packed special units that can spam special/assault weapons as well as power weapons/fists like virtually no other unit in the game. Combined with Light Infantry or Drop Troops, and these wonder units can win games.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, I prefer a Senior Officer over a Heroic Senior Officer due to the points factor. A Senior officer has two wounds IIRC so offers him a little more survivability than a Junior officer but keeps points cost down. If you play a balanced list a SO will due just fine. If you play an Infantry heavy list I would say go ahead and get the HSO and even go as far as giving a JO the Honorifica Imperialis.

I play a semi balanced list that weighs a little more in terms of a Tread Head list so a SO fits my needs perfectly. It also makes sense to have a SO over a JO in terms of practicality in real life. There should be someone with more experience than the other leaders in your army.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use a J.O. to lead my army. It's cheaper and Ld8 rerollable is sufficient.

Besides, a Captain is a relatively Junior Officer and my force is only a hundred or so men.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm organising it like the regular army, thus a lieutenant (J.O.) leads a platoon, S.O. i feel is basically a captain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts