Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Guard 3k

837 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
In a perfect world, and without any of the fancier things the Codex has to offer (like Elites and Primaris Psykers), this is what my Guard collection would look like:

Combined Arms Detachment (because there's no Decurion stuff yet)

HQ

Knight Commander Pask
  • Command Punisher w. hull and sponson heavy bolters
  • 2x Executioners w. hull heavy bolter and sponson plasma cannons

Company Command Squad
  • 2x plasma guns
  • Chimera

Troops

Veteran Squad
  • 3x meltaguns
  • Chimera

Veteran Squad
  • 3x meltaguns
  • Chimera

Veteran Squad
  • 3x plasma guns
  • Chimera

Infantry Platoon
  • Platoon Command Squad
  • 30x man Infantry Squad w. 3x flamers, 3x autocannons
  • Special Weapons Team w. 3x flamers

Infantry Platoon
  • Platoon Command Squad
  • 30x man Infantry Squad w. 3x flamers, 3x autocannons
  • Special Weapons Team w. 3x flamers

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta​

Heavy Support

3x Leman Russ Battle Tanks
  • hull and sponson heavy bolters

3x Basilisks​

The SWTs go inside the Vendettas. I have most of this list but am missing the Basilisks (one of my favourite looking tanks), one Executioner, one Battle Tank, one Vendetta, and the second Infantry Platoon (gotta find someone who wants my Manticore and Hellhound on a trade for some Basilisks maybe). How does it look to those more seasoned in the ways of Guard? I think that a collection like this could survive anything GW could possibly do to the Codex....although I might have just cursed myself in saying that! :laugh:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Oooh nice list! I particularly like the 6 tanks aspect!
Thanks! It makes me smile too. By 6 tanks you mean the 3 Battle Tanks and 3 Basilisks (since there's 13 tanks in the list)?

At 3000 points you may feel a bit of hurt thanks to some of the super powerful options at that level (lords of war, other codex HQ Bombs etc) but you should overall have some good stuff going with that.
LoW always require and agreement between opponents to use in my gaming group, though at 3k I wouldn't deny anyone using whatever they have to to play the match. HQ bombs are a bitch, but the people who drop death stars and the like aren't really the kind of gamer I associate with. I expect anything that can charge to absolutely ruin anything in my army :laugh:

I also presume you play on really terrain dense tables because otherwise I'd really recommend finding 50 points for an aegis line - to put in front of your combined squad who is also bubble wrapping your artillery or tanks!
I do play on terrain dense tables, my days of lining up models on a buddy's front foyer and hoping for the best (ie. nobody gets stepped on) are long over. I have an Aegis but in all honesty hate using it for anything other than scenery. 'True line of sight' can't really exist with weapons teams behind it and having to houserule pre-game every time (with the option always of my opponent being against it despite the overwhelmingly chill environment I play in) isn't something I'm interested in. The squads will definitely be bubble wrapping the tanks, it's pretty much their purpose to die instead of my armour though I do see your point about the cover being nice. One of my tables has trenches built into it, the other has lots of hills and (I'm still working on getting) lots of buildings (though I have a bit of Ruins to put on now), and every table I play on with my Guard is invariably packed with terrain because my opponents think that will keep them safe (muahahahahahaaaa....Basilisks!).

Based on your advice to me, it sounds like you prefer to keep your melta vets embarked on their shaggin' wagons. As the chimera only has two fire points, potentially you can make up points by dropping one of those three melta. Alternatively, have you considered switching to Taurox (for the same points saving) and then being able to fire all the melta?
The two fire points has me a little rattled about putting three MGs into the box, but I do disembark them to shoot...just not until they absolutely have to. The various opponents who have faced this are -always- vexed that they get surprised with a third MG shot even though they know what my list is pre-game. I like the rules for the Taurox but own four Chimeras. Were I to get crazy and buy stuff, it would be Basilisks because they're pretty much 'teh coolest evar'.

Also, the ordinance rule making heavy bolter sponsons on leman russ into ablative guns to save the turret is somewhat annoying and I more and more often tend to spend the points elsewhere. Maybe with your last battle tank you can put him at the back of the squadron, leave off the sponsons and put the points into a survivability upgrade!
This third one will have the option of sponsons being on or off, the two I own have been glued together and painted as such. At least I cut the lascannons off the front and made/magnetized soem heavy bolters in its place. Those snap shots have come in very handy at times though (have even won me a game once) and if I happen to lose the cannon to a Weapon's Destroyed result (also less likely with sponsons) I still have 9 shots to put out against some infantry/insanely light armour. One day I'll have the third one, can see how they get put together, and might just manipulate the other two to be sponson-less but until then I'm kinda boned into a self-imposed and opponent-appreciated WYSIWYG. Do like that idea for the third tank regardless of my desire to hack into painted models.

Definitely keen to see some battle reports with what you have listed, keep up the good work!
This list won't be seeing the light of day for some time since I need 5 tanks (BT, Ex, 3x Bas.) and the second Infantry Platoon entirely, but it's definitely what I want to work toward with my collection. I've been having a blast with this list at 1500 points recently though.

Thanks for the comments! Ya got me thinking on some stuff here :drinks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.