Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this will possible be the final list that i use for GT this year. The Idea is that i will spend a lot of time converting and painting this ( i've already been talking to darkmessiah about the converting part) and go for the auto entry into the final that way! But that is easier said than done so the army must still be a, in character and b, relatively competative!

Ok so here we go! And i will try to give reasons for each choice.

CSM: Word Bearers Army

Chaos Lieutenant (HQ) @ 91 Pts
Chaplain of the army; Mark of Chaos Undivided; Bolt Pistol
Accursed Crozius

Ok so the general, I really hate this daemon weapon! Its so expensive but its very characterful. Im really not expecting much from him, hence why i've not spent a lot of points on him!

8 Chosen (Elites) @ 237 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Bolter (x6); Meltagun (x1)
Aspiring Champion @ [43] Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Fist (x1); Bolt Pistol (x1)

Chaos Rhino @ [58] Pts
Combi-Bolter
Extra Armour [5]
Smoke Launcher [3]

Apostle retinue. I wanted him to be an IC, but i realised that in escalation that would mean that the apostle would be standing about on my side of the table by himself summoning daemons!

8 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 226 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Bolter (x5); Meltagun (x2)

Aspiring Champion
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Fist; Bolt Pistol

Chaos Rhino @ [58] Pts
Combi-Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

8 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 226 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Bolter (x5); Meltagun (x2)

Aspiring Champion @
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Power Fist; Bolt Pistol

Chaos Rhino @ [58] Pts
Combi-Bolter
Extra Armour
Smoke Launcher

A big source of my AT. I've got to get up close, but i want the army to be manoverable so i thought i might as well go all in! their also not to bad in combat with the powerfists, but i feel that Wordbearers would see combat/dirtywork as beneth them, as thats the job for daemons!

6 Daemonette (Troops) @ 90 Pts

7 Plaguebearer (Troops) @ 112 Pts

8 Bloodletter (Troops) @ 208 Pts

9 Screamers (Fast Attack) @ 135 Pts

I wanted to represent all the gods! This is a key issue for me. I took all the units in their special number (even though i dont get the +1) and this is about the best i can do i think. Daemonettes and Plaguebearers are the only choice i have and screamers are ok (not great) as flamers and horrors are rubbish for the points. I went for bloodletters for the fear factor. Personally i actually like the hounds as they have more range which is why im upset i can't have daemonettes on steeds.

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 175 Pts
Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Battle Cannon;
Indirect Fire; Reaper Autocannon; Heavy Flamer

The reason for taking this is 2 fold. First of all, i really want something big in the army that will grab the judges attention! As stated b4. I want to try and get nominated for best army! The second reason is a game reason. I fully believe that if you have the option to take a high strength low AP indirect weapon then you should! Especially with the amount of hide and seek armies out there!

Models in Army: 59
Total Army Cost: 1500

Ok so please give some advice, especially from the UKGT players! If you have any improvements that you think might make a difference please offer some advice. Cheers!

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Daemon bomb army pretty much, you need infiltrate, and for the dark apostle, TRUST me against most other untils, especially with a retinue i have had my apostle in a 1500 point set up make his points back and then some, it IS a power weap, 4+ invul as well as moble summoning stick, you give the apostle daem str, you've got a S5, I5 IC running around with chosen daemon bombing, as well, you infiltrate your squads move them into position and you then have 3 points you can have the option of summoning your daemons from, and urm if your going to be doing melta guns i might consider switching from bolters to pistol and CC weap. not as many shots but you get the charge option then, but running around with bolters isnt that bad, just unless your moving, your meltas will be wasted, might go with plasma's for one sqaud that sits back, and meltas in a CC squad thats moving around, and infiltrating will rid the need of rhinos maybe opening up some more options, because, rhinos will get shot up, but keeping 3 rhinos with what you've got makes it SLIGHTLY less likely, but you still have to risk it, and for GT, most players wont have much trouble with 3 rhinos, infiltrating them can get them sometimes right where you want them
This is all just imo from what ive seen playing my word bearers though

·
Registered
74 Posts
For a GT and the typical lists I've seen coming out of it. I don't think you've got enough to get your Rhinos in effective positions. There are simply too many big, mobile guns that will crush armor 11. Then, your Marines are stuck huddling behind them, and next turn your demons start coming out way out of position. Sorry, I just don't think it will work at all at 1500 points and against GT level armies.

I've seen Rhino walls work, but it is at 2000 points where there are 3 Rhinos, 3 Predators and other armor. I can't see this working for 1500 points, except maybe the Dark Angels.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I would drop the rhino's and make the force all infiltrate.
Then beef out the lord, if you have to invest alot of points into a HQ the you might as well make him able to perform a roll well. Plus it should give you more room for cool conversions etc.
How about daemon icon on the chosen. Its great when combined with a nice infiltrate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Infiltrate is all well and good, but don't forget that half the games at the GT are Omega and people design for that.
If I saw only three infiltrating squads on the table in an Omega game with my Eldar I'd just come on over one side of the board, pound the nearest squad to death with everything and ignore the other two. I could then wait until the daemons appear in the open and gun them down from distance before they get a sniff of combat or skimmer wall if they're near enough to try and charge. The other squads could only shuffle 6 inches max towards me a turn and have no ranged fire.
Granted thats mech Eldar, but mech Tau would do the same as would speeder/pred marines, DE etc.
In Escalation games the rhino could be a lot more useful than infiltrate as people are either all on or all off in a lot of cases and they might get a couple of turns movement or at least see where the enemy are deploying. In either case, staying in the rhinos means you can delay the summoning until you're close enough for them to be useful.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My real problem here is that im not really designing a 1500pt army. Because i want to represent all 4 gods, it's actually a 1000pt army. It takes around 500pts to fit in all the daemons!

I need AT, i need maneuverability, i need a way to deliver the daemons and i need something big that i can convert and use to grab the judges eye for the best painted comp. I honestly think i am good enough to get nominated! The problem has alway's been creating a characterful list that will not get slapped up and down by your average 13 year old kid!

So if anybody has any ideas i could really do with a hand out. Im pretty good with tactic (as long as have seen something before ie;- i got caught at GT by dak's drop pod army, but since then i've played against a couple of them and won all the games thanks to the lessons i learn against Dan). However i've alway been pish at writing lists!

As for the big thing, a defiler is probably he best thing. I think a landraider is too expensive and dreads suck IMO.

Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I think in escalation the chances of 3 rhino's making it to the enemy is ............ambitious. Wouldn't mech eldar/tau have a minimum of 3 turns shooting at the rhinos, without taking into account moving away from them. If you can afford Inifiltrate havocs that "could" help with those skimmer forces. If your determined to go with all four gods i think things could be difficult though. BTW flamers are actually pretty good.

At the moment your chosen don't really do anything that i can see, that you can't achieve with normal csm's. Why not save some points, unless you intend on Daemon icon.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jig! Cheers. Yeah i agree about the rhino's. The reason they are there is because i got fcuked over last year because my army was to easily out manovered! Im really worried about that. The reason i put in a unit of chosen was because of a stupid quirk in the 4th ed rules. Because of the way the list was set up, if escalation was being played then because my Apostle doesn't have a dedicated transport he would have to start on the table and would not be allowed to start off the table in another units transport! And the last thing i would want in the apostle summoning the daemons on my side of the table.

I looked at infiltrating chao's marines, and im also looking at the possibility of 1 or 2 small (prob 3 man) throw away bike squads for a turbo boot charge. If i give then 2 plasma and MoCU, then thats around 125pts per squad, which i think is goos value! If they survive then they can grab objectives etc!

Also i want my daemons to do close combat. I like the idea that the word bearers believe that they are above daemons to they are the disposible shock troops!

Or perhaps do i have too many principles? Should i consider a speed lord? Should i take the more beardy stuff and not plague bearers etc?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like the basic theme, but agree with a lot of the info provided above.

Your daemons can provide you with all the mobility you need. The summoning rules make for a very offensive style of game play that nearly flings your troops into the enemy. I'd also suggest that you go with Flamers over Screamers. While I do like the Screamer models very much, their mandatory Hit'n'Run rule makes them fairly worthless IMHO. Flamers, on the other hand, can unleash 27 heavy bolter shots while on the move. They also make fairly decent tar pit units against TMCs and the like.

I'd make the changes listed above by the other posters. Keep the Defiler, swap the Daemons, drop the Rhinos, Infiltrate the Marines, and add a few more bodies to the list.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The response

Ok thank you very much for the response that i've had! So this is the changes, Beoth from this forum and other bitz i've read other places.

Word Bearers Army

1 Chaos Lord (HQ) @ 167 Pts
MoCU; Bolt Pistol
Accursed Crozius
Daemonic Speed
Daemonic Strength
Infiltrate
Spiky Bits
Frag Grenades
Daemonic Resilience

8 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 189 Pts
MoCU; CC Weapon (x7); Bolter (x5); Meltagun (x2)
Infiltrate

Aspiring Champion
MoCU; Power Fist; Bolt Pistol

8 Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 189 Pts
MoCU; CC Weapon (x7); Bolter (x5); Meltagun (x2)
Infiltrate

Aspiring Champion
MoCU; Power Fist; Bolt Pistol

3 Chaos Bikers (Fast Attack) @ 161 Pts
MoCU; Plasma Gun (x2); Tank Hunters

Aspiring Champion
Power Fist

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 175 Pts
Indirect Fire; Reaper Autocannon; Heavy Flamer

8 Bloodletter (Troops) @ 208 Pts

6 Daemonette (Troops) @ 90 Pts

9 Flamers of Tzeentch (Troops) @ 207 Pts

7 Plaguebearer (Troops) @ 112 Pts

Models in Army: 51
Total Army Cost: 1498

Personally i think this list is a little baw bag like! but hell! Ok so better, or worse?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
How about dropping the bikers and squeezing in some furies? I have a word bearers army which contains bloodletters, plaguebearers and furies.

I find that the furies are surprisingly effective. The 18" move on arrival and three attacks each at str and ini 5 are awsome even thrown at marines in small squads.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looks like a good balanced themed list that should do well against most opponents. I think mech armies will probably cause you a few headaches, apart from the Defilers your maximine range Is 24" so you may need a bit of luck with your melta squads when faced with Mech Eldar, Tau etc.
As for changes you could possibly lose the flamers and the bikers and go for a couple of LC/HB Preds with possession, or possibly a couple of havoc squads with TH AC's and ML's to get more summoning squads? Maybe A bit too much like the usual Chaos lists that you see about but It could certainly Improve your ranged shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts