Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I managed 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss with my balanced IG army which I'm stoked about! 6 Really great games, had a real blast and managed to qualify for the final in 39th place by the skin of my teeth!? lol 11 tournament pts, 4 bonus pts and +7888 Vps - well chuffed!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I managed 9th with my Eldar. 5 wins and 1 draw. As second highest Eldar player at the heat, I'm hoping to embarass Anathema and the like by becoming the new Mr Eldar UK at the final! ;) (ducks rocks thrown by Flame On!)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well congratulations guys, glad to see a couple of our users getting through.
What was terrain like at the heat, was told it was pretty heavy this event?

Any interesting lists doing well?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Finished in 78th with my nightlords. 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses, so I'm pretty happy with that after last years showing.

the terrain was pretty mixed, from tables with plenty of size 3 terrain and 3-4 pieces of 4+ save pieces to hide in to one I played on with:
1 size 3 impassable, 1 small building, 2 small forests (not even big enough for a 6 man unit to get in), a couple of generic hills and a couple of size 1 shrubs.
Very open and difficult to find cover in. Luckily I was playing a Tau army on it and got to him quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2/2/2 is pretty respectable, where there many changes you'd have made to your list in hindsight? Any opps where you were pretty mis-matched or close run games?
Glad to hear terrain was mixed

·
Registered
630 Posts
What list did you take? I'm taking Guard myself - it'd be nice to see what you had.
I thought you were struggling a bit with the guard Lee, hence the drop pod wolves list?
I think considering the terrain at heat 1 was vastly over 25% the guard may struggle to find decent enough fire lanes?
Considering my lack of playing time over the last few months I've gone for the sell out and borrowed one of my mates Tau armies. I've only played Tau at doubles level before and I won't get hold of the army untill the morning of the heats so playtesting will be pretty minimal!
Any of you lot heading to heat 2?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I managed 3 wins and 3 losses, came 60th. So no final for me this year. Still had a good time, apart from the bloody flyrants. Hehe. Good luck to all at heats 2 and 3.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I thought you were struggling a bit with the guard Lee, hence the drop pod wolves list?
I think considering the terrain at heat 1 was vastly over 25% the guard may struggle to find decent enough fire lanes?
Considering my lack of playing time over the last few months I've gone for the sell out and borrowed one of my mates Tau armies. I've only played Tau at doubles level before and I won't get hold of the army untill the morning of the heats so playtesting will be pretty minimal!
Dude the last time i played in store was just after Britcon!

I seriously need some quick warm ups to get back into it.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Struggling with the painting mainly. I've only played them once and lost narrowly to a triple fire prism, farseer on bike with retinue swooping hawk type dropping in bombing and jumping out again list of gayness.

Everything went his way though, I rolled a good 15 glances for no damage, lost the first turn despite the emperors tarot and fought the worst case mission (recon) through a roll of 6 on the missions table.

He had nothing left apart from the invincible hawks and 3 fireprisms (that spent hte game hiding for a final turn move into the deployment).

It just felt so shit having such little movement. Its a toss up between the guard and this list atm.

Necron Lord
Destroyer Body, Orb, Scythe

3 Wraiths

4 Destroyers

4 Destroyers

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

Monolith

Monolith

I tested your Blood Angels list the other night and can quite honestly say you're doing the right thing leaving them at home. I'm almost ready to throw the towel in the corner after seeing my £300 blood angel investment reduced to tournament whippin bitches.

Me, Jigplums and Ragnar_Burmane are going to Heat 2. Probably hitting the town on the Saturday if anyone wants to get wankered with us.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm guessing that the Flame On'ers will all be crashing in Bugmans afterwards for the pub quiz and prospect of free beer (where's prophaniti when you need him?). Maybe to Rock Shitty afterwards if we are still moving.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
re-paint your ba and order a few extra turrets and such and you have yourself a codex marine list. paint one half black or blue, and leave the other red and your sorted. Your only really losing out on 2 turrets from your baal preds so its nothing major.
Or you could make a "real" ba army and except you can't have an awesome cc army that can outshoot eldar and tau

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Or you could make a "real" ba army and except you can't have an awesome cc army that can outshoot eldar and tau
A real close combat army that can't compete with Tau, Eldar, Tyranids or Guard... Awesome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
2/2/2 is pretty respectable, where there many changes you'd have made to your list in hindsight? Any opps where you were pretty mis-matched or close run games?

Well thanks to you guys I was never really overrun.
Tank hunting havocs were awesome, In 4 games against Tau and Eldar I think only 1 skimmer survived.
The Raptors were possibly the weak link in the army, never faced proper tanks all tournament so there melta guns were never put to use.
The Lord was awesome or awful. Against eldar he charged into 6 harlies and missed all his attacks. Against my last Tau opp he went through 3 battlesuit teams, 2 HQ suits and mopped up some firewarriors.
I don't think there was much I would change though.

I still think I could have quall'd if a couple of die rolls were different: 4 th game against tau, he had most of his army backed up in a corner and I was trying to get my lord in there for a bit of hack and slash. So as he attempts to cross the gap he rolls a 1 for fleet and ends up 1/2" short. Promptly took a fusion thing to the face next turn. If he had got in it would have been carnage like above.
1st game against siren bomb, my champ with PF gats a shot at the siren beast with3 attacks, misses 2 and hits 1. The siren makes his inv save and drops mthe bombs next turn.
I believe any of those rolls had gone my way would have changed the game results, but in reality there were probably other occasions when I got lucky.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a quick word of warning. There was no pub quiz at heat 1. Mind you there was the rugby, complete with scots cheering on the French (nearly eh?).

I'm always a text away if you're that desparate.:wargamer:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well done :grin:

What list did you take? I'm taking Guard myself - it'd be nice to see what you had.
HI Jezlad :wink:

Here's the X Legion army I qualified with!

Doctrines;
Iron Discipline
Conscripts
Veterans
Rough Riders
Drop troops

HQ;

JO, ID, veteran, standard, Mortar = 66pts

FSS - 2 x Autocannons 1 x HB = 90pts

FSS 2 x Autocannons 1 x HB = 90pts

Troop;

JO, Honorifica Imperialis, ID, Mortar, = 80pts

Inf squad, Lascannon, Plasma = 95pts

Troop;

20 x conscripts = 80pts

Elite;

Veteran sergeant, bolt pistol, 4 x vets - 3 x plasma = 76pts

Elite;

Elite;

Fast Attack;

5 x Rough Riders - hunting lances = 55pts

Fast Attack;

5 x Rough Riders - hunting lances = 55pts

Heavy Support;

Leman Russ Battletank, hull lascannon, sponson Heavy Bolters, extra armour, smoke = 173pts

Heavy Support;

Leman Russ Battletank, hull lascannon, sponson Heavy Bolters, extra armour, smoke = 173pts

Heavy Support;

Basilisk - indirect fire = 125pts

= 1500pts

As I'm sure you can see - nothing really stands out as an uber game winning unit - but working together the synergy of the army is such that as a whole it becomes greater than the sum of its parts....

Malchek

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.