Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this, but seeing as anything with GT in the title seems to get moved here I thought it would be OK.
Here's the list as it stands, a translation from my old 3rd ed one that is 1-0-1 so far. I'm fairly happy with the theory behind the build, but still have muchos playtesting to do, and thoughts welcome:

HQ:

Autarch on jetbike, mandiblaster, fusion gun and laser lance

Elites:

6 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent, TL Shuricannon, extra Shuricannon, spirit stone, vectored engines
6 Harlequins all with kisses, shadowseer upgrade

Troops:

5 Pathfinders
5 Pathfinders

Fast Attack:

8 Warp Spiders inc. Exarch with extra Spinner

Heavy Support:

Fire Prism + Shuricannon, Holofields, spirit stone
Fire Prism + Shuricannon, Holofields, spirit stone
Falcon, shuricannon, shuricannon, holo-fields, sprit stone

Harlies go in the Falcon, natch.
Right, this will give me 14 spare points. So 10 really. Options are:
Upgrade the Falcon to a scatter laser/shuricannon combo.
Give the Spider exarch powerblades to pick on a weak marine unit.
Drop the Serpent shuricannon and put Withdraw on the Spiders and Scatter laser on the Falcon.

Anyone think of any more?

BTW, yes I know I only have 31 warm bodies and only 8 scoring units. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bah fruity space clowns!! Are they even out before the final?!

It looks good, cant really think of everything constructive to change. I'd use the ten points on the falcon, warp spiders in my experience have a nasty habit of not jumping the right distance.

Oh and i took 28 models to the GT!! Beat that

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like you list, it is low on numbers and scoring units, but that will be true for almost all eldar armies under the new codex if you go down the mechanised route.

Your H.Q. is probably one of the best set ups for this style of army, he adds some good combat punch and gives you that vital +1 to reserves rolls, he can also be used to help eliminate vehicles so that your other units can deal with other targets.

I think that the best way to use harlequins will be using the falcon as a delivery system so I have no complaints there. Again the fire dragons are a great unit and can be used as a tank hunting unit or you can use them to eliminate heavily armoured foes such as obliterators or terminators. :wink:

Pathfinders are great! I prefer even numbered units but I understand that every eldar army is going to be limited in points so sacrifices and compromises have to be made some where. their ability to infiltrate will be extremely useful and with their great cover saves the enemy will struggle to shift them. Also they are great with dealing with marines and other heavier armoured foes.

Warp spiders are a good unit if used effectively. This unit is probably the unit that you will have to play test with the most to get the hang of using them. However once you have got to grips with the unit then they can cause some real damage.

Your heavy support set up is very good, the fire prisms are a very versatile tank that is hard to take down. The falcon is a great transport for the Harlequins, as it is also so hard to kill.

Overall I really like your list; I think that you have found a good balance so that you can deal with any opponent that you face. One criticism I would make is that you have a lack of anti-tank weapons. I would try and find the points to possibly have a bright lance or missile launcher on your wave serpent.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fallen Angel said:
Bah fruity space clowns!! Are they even out before the final?!
No, apparently their out in April or something? However I'll have got my Wardancer properly converted by then, so they can 'count as'. I predict a roaring eBay trade for all of those selling their old Harlies to GT entrants wanting to try out the new 'uber' unit.

The only problem with the Falcon is that it doesn't get to shoot that much, but I guess points are better spent there where they're survivable.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
There seems to be a common theme with competative eldar lists :) Looks good, but the main power of the list[the tanks] can be held up very easily just by tinking them each turn, i'm sure you already know that though. i think anyone who plans for dealing with eldar skimmer tanks can't really go wrong. With that said, i think the only way to break that stalemate might be to go cc so the harlies are a good choice

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jigplums said:
There seems to be a common theme with competative eldar lists :) Looks good, but the main power of the list[the tanks] can be held up very easily just by tinking them each turn, i'm sure you already know that though. i think anyone who plans for dealing with eldar skimmer tanks can't really go wrong. With that said, i think the only way to break that stalemate might be to go cc so the harlies are a good choice
I think the common theme only holds to mech Eldar though. There's some equally effective mostly foot-slogging lists knocking about too, which is a good sign for the new codex.
The tanks certainly can be dinked quite easily, I only expect to be shooting half the time really as I like a good first turn dash to wrong-foot my opponent and concentrate on one flank the next turn. However when I can get them firing, the concentration of fire in one area should be enough.

Don't forget I've also got the Autarch for assault too, he should have a damn good chance vs. most small squads.

One criticism I would make is that you have a lack of anti-tank weapons. I would try and find the points to possibly have a bright lance or missile launcher on your wave serpent.
Its something I'm aware of. If it proves to be a problem then I may switch the Serpent to carrying an EML or even a lance if I can find the ludicrous amount of points required.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get rid of those Harlies and transport the Dragons in Falcon while investing in a unit of 10 Dire Avengers in Serpent ( Don't leave home without them )

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really really really don't rate Avengers that highly. Sure they'll drop and kill 5 marines maxed out, and if you use them well they may survive the battle and get to do it a few times, but I'd rather my 6 Harlies kill their 4 marines with rending and then their 2-3 with their normal attacks, before killing them off in the opponents turn and rampaging through his lines. I need an assault element in there to get to those hard to reach places and to whip through gunlines like a dose of plague.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.