Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Grins continuing WiPs

19K views 152 replies 24 participants last post by  Grins1878 
#1 ·
No, he really is. He wouldn't let me get a round in and knew so many jokes!

Badum-tish.

Righty, I've got my ork one on the go, where I'd sloped a fair few puppies pics in between my orkses. Now the puppies are growing to mega proportions so I thought they deserved their own seperate hug-a-wolf thread. So, in all their Glory, my wolves so far!

So, Bran Redmaw. I was going to use the FW one when it got released, but I'm not impressed, instead I'm using this Scibor fellow:

The Battle Company so far

The brothers grim:

The Maddy Mobile:

Rhino Front:

Rhino side:

Droppod 1:

Grey Hunters with Redmaw Standard:

Wolfguard in PA:

Wolf Priest:

Wolf Guard - one of these now has a TH and SS and two have Wolf Claws, new limbs are unpainted, but I'll post a pic of the later:

Wolf Scouts (with bog-eyed leader):

1st Squad of Grey Hunters:

Skyclaws:

Three of the PA wolf guard now painted:

There's still a shedload to go, but I'm working through them slowly along with the orks. Also, forgive my camera work, it's never been up to much ;-)

Any c&c always welcome :)

Grins

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely some nice work here Grins! Love the scibor guy, looks fantastic. The yellow eyes really read well. I also really like your power weapon effect in the last Wolf Guard pic. I may have to steal that one down the line. I look foward to following along with your log.

#6 ·
Okay, so I have ten wolf guard in PA (actually, I have another with a TH and storm shield, but left him in the cabinet and just painted the rest, so the old wolf lord is standing in until he's finished) freshly done over the last week or so:

These are four of the AOBR termies, slightly altered

The wolf guard boxed set:

Long Fangs:

Wulfen for the occasions I may want a few hairy men in the squad:

And then we have the FW boarding marine, Scibor dude and a near finished rune priest:

Now then, there's also 3 more squads of grey hunters/blood claws, a predator, another 10 wolf scouts, another drop pod and a standard bearer I'm going to convert, so, what to paint next?!

The Scibor dude and boarding marine are both ones I'm doing as standalone models so intending to go OTT, the rest are for the company. I also want to go OTT with the wulfen and get them looking spot on (damaged armour, etc). SO any choices on what you want to see next?

#7 ·
Looking great, keep up the work. I say paint up the footsloggers, It's too easy to just let the bulk of your army build up while you paint the fancy models.

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah sure man. I'm a big FW fan, got all the ltds bar the ogryn (bah! Stunning figure!!), and have a load of FW stuff, ork bits, halftrakk, etc. I just think the new Redmaw model is somewhat underwhelming. It's a damn good model don't get me wrong, but, I could make almost an identical model for nowt using the battleforce! :) see, for me, a wolf lord is the daddy of the battle company, the hardman of 120 wolves, big, hard, armoured and raging. The new redmaw is like a boss space wolf mini, but he isn't a wolf lord, he's just a boss space wolf mini.

A wolf lord needs to look as hard as a man who can outfight, outdrink, outeat, outfart and outfuck every other wolf in his company, not just a wolf that looks like an angry jesus! :)

#12 ·
Yeah sure man. I'm a big FW fan, got all the ltds bar the ogryn (bah! Stunning figure!!), and have a load of FW stuff, ork bits, halftrakk, etc. I just think the new Redmaw model is somewhat underwhelming. It's a damn good model don't get me wrong, but, I could make almost an identical model for nowt using the battleforce! :) see, for me, a wolf lors is the daddy of the battle company, the hardman of 120 wolves, big, hard, armoured and raging. The new redmaw is like a boss space wolf mini, but he isn't a wolf lord, he's just a boss spave wolf mini.

A wolf lord needs to look as hard as a man who can outfight, outdrink, outeat, outfart and outfuck every other wolf in his company, not just a wolf that looks like an angry jesus! :)
fair play mate i think i agree with you but i can't wait to see what the alternate redmaw looks like though. and i'll deffinatley be using both in some capasity

#14 ·
Okay, here's the next round of wolves to be painted, another grey hunters squad, a long fangs squad and a predator. At the moment I've just started the flat brown (vajello) base coats for bones, fur, skin, etc so it's early days yet. Expect more over the coming weekend :grin:

#15 ·
Well, having been busy as feck for about three months I've finally gotten some painting time!

Been working on a mate's deathwing terminators, the first DA I've painted is below, and currently working on my Wolves. The standard I'm doing as a kind of chapter banner rather than a battle company one, but I'm pleased so far. As it is none of him is entirely finished, I still have plenty to work into the battle damage and the armour as a whole, and the standard is still in very early days.

Without further ado, the not yet finished minis!

And a quicky of the DA - Sword needs re-doing as its waaaaayyy to blue ;-)

#17 ·
Okay, the wedding is over and it's back to the mini-painting. I've not painted properly for months but decided to finish off the banner first and foremost, so, it's here in all it's glory, the Space Wolves Chapter Standard:

The battle damage on him was originally painted as though it was glowing/hot, but looked dog turd, so I went for the blast effect (which seems to have worked quite nicely). Most of the damage colouring was done using Vajello black shade and vajello Brown Shade in a few layers and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. The standard was nabbed from my Venerable Dread and pinned to the hand of the old standard mini with a length of brass rod and looks pretty funky I think. The fur was done using Vajello flat brown and building up to the lighter colours of bleached bone with odd highlights of Vajello white (I love Vajello colours just because their matt and not at all shiny).

Wolflord (I'm using as Redmaw - in 'terminator' armour this time, a fine mini from Scibor):

I only started this fellow last week, and after numerous tickings off from friends and gamers I know, I thought I'd blend the paints rather than my usual 'get stuff finished' drybrushing. I'm happy with the results though (shown here in a late night picture with and without flash) and the colouring is a whole lot smoother and not as ... uhm, just smoother.

Anyhow, more on this one over the coming weeks. I recently picked up an airbrush too so I'll be having a play with that at the weekend! Look forward to some air ruined figure pictures next week! :wink:

Cheers!

#18 ·
Welcome back to the boards Grins! Standard looks banging from the front. The freehand looks awesome!!!! I do agree that it looks a bit wonky from the back, but I only noticed it because you said something.

'Redmaw' is look nice as well. I am a big fan of the Scibor Celtic Knights and this one is no exception. Looking forward to seeing him completed.

#19 ·
Cheers pal! Much appreciated! :)

I should be painting a whole lot more now, everything (wedding wise, bar thank you cards (thank you for coming to the wedding, they should thank me I tell you!!! haha :p) is out of the way and I'm getting more free time to do stuff!

I love the Scibor Celtic fellows too, they're really nice models and nice to paint too. Had to take him off the superb base you get with him as he was a torso higher than everyone else in the company! He'd never get a cover save! haha

Should be working on him more tomorrow night so expect some pics over the weekend!

#21 ·
Cheers Khorne! :)

I thought the blade was too blue as well, but my mate whos DW they are really likes it. I was thinking of not telling him and repainting it a better colour, possibly with the lightning effect over the blade. Cheers for the rep gents! Much appreciated! :)

#25 ·
Cheers Grimzag! :)

After this fellow I'm going to finish the long fangs, predator and grey hunters I've near finished, and then it's onto other things. The question is, what other things?!

10 scouts
5 scouts with sniper rifles
5 wolf guard terminators
terminators with bonus wolfguard arms (see first page post about AOBR fellas)
20 more grey hunters
1 Wolfguard in power armour (well, technically his backpack)
runepriest
Ulrik the skull headed fella
Arjac Rockfist
The wolflord on thunderwolf (not the todger with the lightning claws)
6 thunderwolf cavalry
10 fenrisian wolves
5 wulfen
drop pod

The agony of choice... any ideas?

#26 ·
Long Fangs agogo. So far so good. Was trying a new method of painting them to begin with (was going for bases and washes...), but became irate so started to do them as normal. Need a lot of tidying up but that'll happen before they're done. Anyhow, the old gits:

Cheers!
:)

#27 ·
Old timers with big guns coming right up. Noticed after uploading the pictures that their eyes aren't yellowed. They will be next time I pic up the brush I assure you! :biggrin:

After those long in the tooth. I've started on the Wolfguard. I had the five AOBR minis painted up, but after getting my grubby mitts on the Wolf Guard box, I swapped a few arms around.

The helmetted chaps with thunderhammers/wolf claws are the AOBR terminators, then the normal 5 wolf guard. So far so good. Using drybrushing from one direction which seems to have given them a look of illumnation from above so quite happy with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.