Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Good work with that Mark of the Wulfen guy, you've done a great paint job on the mini.

The Talon looks good too so far and I'll be checking back to see how that looks when you've finished; it might be teh decider on whether I get one for my wolves...

Rev

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not much to report from yesterday really, spent most of the day at a Christening so not a whole lot of time to paint until the evening, which was a 50/50 mix of painting and warcraft.

Anyhow, this is how the Talon is looking now. I've darkened the overall paint of it to Fenris Grey (Will probably have to do this with the rest of the base coated ones too, they're just TOO light for my liking). and started adding a few of the metallic details to the main bulk of the ship. Like I said though, not a whole lot done, was mainly the big base coat and adding farty bits of Boltgun Metal that I realised I'd missed.

One thing I have noticed, is that I'm not much cop when it comes to detailing vehicles. For the Rhino and Landraider I've used the FW doors to break up the flat surfaces a little, but generally they look factory fresh, which is how I wanted them, but since painting them I've picked up a load of new painting techniques, and I'm thinking that if I paint this plain, I'll be a little pissed off at it for it's gaming life...

So, should I paint it factory fresh (possibly with tree-shaped airfreshener) or bash it up a bit so it looks like it's been a little battered?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I love the Wulfen guy, the battle damage is top notch and hides the miss casting REALLY well.

For me, the more unlucky faster tends to always die vehicles are battered to hell and back (see Rhinos, Trukks, and Hellhounds when i get around to them) then for the more venerable vehicles (Land Raiders, Super Heavies) they're going to be a bit more pristine.

The reason for my dislike of the Storm Talon is that it looks too stubby and far from the way most of the other SM vehicles look. However this is of course a personal opinion and I can appreciate a goo model even if I personally won't be loving it :)
Also with the new rules I can't help but think this thing is going to be godly!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I love the Wulfen guy, the battle damage is top notch and hides the miss casting REALLY well.
Cheers pal! Very much appreciated! :biggrin:

I was painting it yesterday and came to the conclusion that it would need some damage or something to make it look half decent. I was looking at Spellscape's thread with their Wolves (totally stunning I might add - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105502) And have been studying the rhinos closely because I think they look amazing and they haven't been scratched and dented heavily (there's plenty on still!), but they have been incredibly well weathered, very much like you say, they'd have been used far more. I reckon you're right with the scuffing it up and making it look a little battered and well used.

Anyhow, this is the Storm Talon so far, it does look slightly too stubby from the side, but I've vowed to only view it from the front, back or at an angle! ;-)

So far there's just the recesses inked, the fenris grey basecoat and one highlight of FG and SWG that is only marginally lighter. I'm aiming to highlight a few more shades, then start applying the chafes and dirt. There's also a few areas to use for blast effects where I've been a bit too keep cleaning off the flash, but it should look alreet! :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Working on the basis that things always get chipped to feth whenever someone is climbing in/out of a vehicle (regardless of how careful they are and whether or not they're wearing ceramite), I've started the scuffs, chips and damage around the cockpit.

The ladder going up to it, the petty cap and the side of the cockpit have all taken a beating from the chap climbing up and into it:

The next two just show the chips, etc at the front and the other side. So far so good. Still a whole lot of Storm talon to go though...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I like your work, the storm talon is terrific really great just the attention to detail and the weathering without making the model look like a mess your wulfen rocks too!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Weathering is looking great! Really interested to seeing it roll toward completion.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
... this is a test...

edit: for some reason, if I post up links to the pictures the post won't save, yet I can type this... something dick is going on... BAH!!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Of the emergency broadcast system.....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Latest update, fresh from my desk (on the sly in work...). I was away all weekend and only managed a couple of hours on the Talon Sunday night and last night.

So far I've done the scuffing, chafing and chips of paint over the front of the talon, down the right hand side (from the pilot's PoV) down to the tail, the roof down to the tail and the left hand side about 1/3 of the way along. The wing and part of the engine are only up to the black paint bits and so is the tail.

Edit - Just done this through my phone instead... Seems my work pc is a bigger bag of shit than previously thought...

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Paint job is looking really good!

Shame the model is so hideous.

Looks like something off of the old PS1 game 'G-police'... just on a budget.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After a busy couple of weekends I've managed to spend a few hours on the Talon and get all the scraping, chaffing and scratching done on it. These first two are the scuffs finished on the bum end of the Talon, all done with a bit of sponge, a bit of vajello black and some gentle dabbing. For the highlights, Fenris Grey mixed with SW Grey (or equivalents) and then just a tiny line at the bottom of the chips. On the engines I did the highlights underneath when the engines are verticle, then on the top surfaces did the highlights to the rear of the chips so it kind of matches whichever way the engines are. I'm quite happy with the overall effects.

Next few are showing the addition of some bolt gun metal on chips and scrapes, and also on the engines and other metally bits, highlighting a little after my over-zealous washing of them. Going to highlight them further with some chain mail (or may try the model air silver, I've heard that is pretty good as a normal paint too) then ink in some details and get the lenses and rubies coloured. In theory. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Great work Grins! Just wondering how you achieved the weathering on the stormtalon, One thing I really struggle with is weathering, so I was wondering how you do it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Cheers chaps!

For the weathering do you mean the chaffing and chipping? If so it's all on post #53, it's the easiest way to do it I've found, bit of foam (like the old blister packing foam, the foam from the carry cases, anything like that), dab it in black paint, dab it onto some paper until you get the desired amount of chippage and then dab it on the mini. Highlight with a lighter version of the base colour, then if the chips are big enough add some metallics into the middle of the black bit. :)

For the engines/tubing it's just the vajello black shade spread liberally around the bolt gun metal bits, then highlight again with BGM. So far anyway, not quite happy with the engines so there may be more done to them! :grin:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The engines so far. The Vajello Brown Shade and Black Shade are in full swing here. A healthy dose of brown (haha!) first, thinning as it gets on the top of the flappy bits, then the black more toward the bum end of the engine slowly thickening it up. At the moment it's taking a while for it to dry so having to move the lamp closer to heat it dry a little! :wink:

I'm pretty happy with the assault cannons, again, brown shade stretching down the barrels getting thinner the further from the muzzle it gets. The Black was liberally spread on to the muzzle and then thinned out down the barrel again. Overall I'm happy with that :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, Fresh back from Hull this afternoon I decided I couldn't face painting anything, and instead based a few more minis. 13 to be precise. It's mind numbing but it makes the figures look a million times better. Anyhow, after basing them with some fake snow, grass and small rocks, Itook some pics of the Great Company so far:

Left Half:

Right Half:

And that's it so far... With everything added from Nearly done to plastic and undercoated we have a whole heap more:

Left bit:

Left middle:

Right Middle:

Right bit :

Close up of the Thunderwolves. Looking forward to having a crack at them! :):

A close up of the sniper scouts and a moody looking wulfen...

And that's about it. I'm aiming to get another Land Raider, three more drop pods and a razorback or two, but other than that I have everything I'm after! More painting pics in future posts - gotta head out for a stag do! :drinks:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Cheers pal! Much appreciated! :)

I've fully finished the Storm Talon, so here's a few pics of it with the basic base. I may be adding a little debris to it at some point, but aiming to get ALL the wolves done before I go onto mad bases.
Pics:

I've asked what people wanted to see painted before and had no response, so Khorne's, I'm moving onto the Thunderwolves. currently washing them all in brown shade... ah, the joys! Did I mention I hate painting fur? :threaten:

:wink:

41 - 60 of 153 Posts