Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cheers Khorne! :)

I thought the blade was too blue as well, but my mate whos DW they are really likes it. I was thinking of not telling him and repainting it a better colour, possibly with the lightning effect over the blade. Cheers for the rep gents! Much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Aye, he's the Scibor Sci-Fi Celtic Lord or something similar. A really well made mini! Admittedly his hand has been lopped off and replaced by a stormbolter hand from the SW boxes!:wink:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cheers Grimzag! :)

After this fellow I'm going to finish the long fangs, predator and grey hunters I've near finished, and then it's onto other things. The question is, what other things?!

10 scouts
5 scouts with sniper rifles
5 wolf guard terminators
terminators with bonus wolfguard arms (see first page post about AOBR fellas)
20 more grey hunters
1 Wolfguard in power armour (well, technically his backpack)
runepriest
Ulrik the skull headed fella
Arjac Rockfist
The wolflord on thunderwolf (not the todger with the lightning claws)
6 thunderwolf cavalry
10 fenrisian wolves
5 wulfen
drop pod

The agony of choice... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Long Fangs agogo. So far so good. Was trying a new method of painting them to begin with (was going for bases and washes...), but became irate so started to do them as normal. Need a lot of tidying up but that'll happen before they're done. Anyhow, the old gits:

Cheers!
:)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Old timers with big guns coming right up. Noticed after uploading the pictures that their eyes aren't yellowed. They will be next time I pic up the brush I assure you! :biggrin:

After those long in the tooth. I've started on the Wolfguard. I had the five AOBR minis painted up, but after getting my grubby mitts on the Wolf Guard box, I swapped a few arms around.

The helmetted chaps with thunderhammers/wolf claws are the AOBR terminators, then the normal 5 wolf guard. So far so good. Using drybrushing from one direction which seems to have given them a look of illumnation from above so quite happy with that.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another night's painting and two shoddy pics to show for it.

Tinbitz'd all the gold areas and added some shining gold to two models so far. Added Vaj flat red to the weapon parts and a few gems, the GW foundation yellow for some wires on their armour, blue to the power sword, wolf claws and thunder hammers and some foundation yellow to the hair of two chaps.

So far so good. Suppose it's a blessing the mrs was sorting out wedding pics on the PC all night, managed to get a fair bit done without playing WoW! Haha!

Anyhow, that's all for now, more during the week. Aiming to get them finished by end of the weekend! Woop! :victory:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Two more Wolf Guard done. These are two from AOBR but with the arms switched.

Six more to go and the Wolf Guard are all done... Hopefully by sunday.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
As my mind flits from project to project with no apparent plan, I've been doing a few different bits recently, so they're being thrown up (so to speak), first up, an objective for r kid's Black Templars:

My forray into Fantasy:

Currently working on a BA objective and the griffin thing from island of blood. Not counting the piles of minis I've part done, it's starting to get silly... :russianroulette:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Cheers pal! Thanks for the rep! :)

The armour on the Black Templar was painted Vajello Black (I love matt paint!!), then lightly highlighted with a mix of adeptus battle grey is it? (the old dark grey foundation), then a final tiny highlight of straight adeptus battle grey. The chipping effect with the silver showing through was done with a piece of sponge (packing from ammo crates, similar to the stuff from the blister packs) dabbed in bolt gun metal, with a few mithril silver highlights to it.

For the Elves armour, they were based bolt gun metal, washed with Vajello black shade (pretty much the same as the matt black wash by GW), then highlighted again with Bolt Gun Metal, then more highlights put on with chainmail and then mithril silver. Also tried a bit of reflectiveness by doing a blue wash along the edges where they were against the blue hair, etc. Seems to have worked okay. :)

For the Gold on the armour it was tin bitz base coat, shining gold on top, devlan mud wash, then highlights with burnished gold and a few tiny bits of bolt gun metal. Seems to have done the trick! :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In typical style, the Stormtalon got a whole heap of flak when it was first shown, but I loved the little bugger, and after pre-ordering with Wayland, became the proud owner of one (and one of the Ork jets...). So I have an issue with building a model and parts of it going unpainted, so had it almost complete, but without the pilot/inner cockpit built I wouldn't stick the rest of it together, or I'd be permenantly irked by the grey plastic cockpit, or the knowledge that there were unpainted bits in there somewhere, so, sacking off the rest of the older models (in my traditional form) I cracked on to get this finished so I could complete the model.

The whole thing has been base coated by airbrush with Vajello grey blue, something I realised was wholly inadequate as its far lighter than the rest of the Company (bar the other airbrushed minis... they could become the part of the company known as Grin's Folly... Time will tell...). The whole interior has been painted Mechrite red (picked up from r kid's FoW Sd kfz 251's and such, which often had the parts that weren't seen left in the factory base/undercoat which was a similar red), with the panels painted Boltgun Metal and then washed with Vajello Brown shade to give it a grimy military vehicle feel. The seat (for what you can see of it) was done in Knarloc Green (? the green foundation one) and painted up in Camo green. Not sure you can see it, but there's a red crosshairs on the front left console, a terrain height thing in the bottom one, and some sort of info feed on the top right.. That's what they're done as... whether or not I've pulled it off is another matter! Hah!

This is a shot of the remaining Wolves awaiting painting. About half have been base coated (flesh, fur and armour anyhow) with an airbrush and are waiting for the basecoat brush to appear to finish them off.

In the pile you should be able to see 7 Thunderwolves, the Mark of the Lycan chaps, a whole host of grey hunters, a drop pod and 10 Fenrisian wolves. There's a half finished Predator on the bottom shelf that's not on the pictures too.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Well I finally started one of the Mark of the Lycan figures from Mythicast, and it's a hit and miss mini so far. I love the idea of the miniatures, they're just not the best pulled off I've seen. Some of the casting on the legs was hideous (like 1.5 mil of mis matched shin armour down each side), the mini's themselves were covered in tiny balls of resin that I had to prune with my knife, some of the details are poorly cast, and some are a little dodgy sculpted.

That said, I still love the figures... which is why I paid the price for them. I think the poses are superb, and despite the details on them being a little off there's something about them that I really like. So last night I was waiting for the washes to dry on the Stormtalon, and having base coated them all a few weeks back I decided to crack on with one, thinking about the minis with rose-tinted glasses. I picked it up, then felt sad at the exta work I was going to have to put in to get them looking decent.

The shin armour on the right of the first pic, take a butchers at the inside leg of it... f*cking disgraceful. The loin cloth... the fur round it is lines going outwards, not so much fur (looks like an old oriental rug I used to have...), the skull on the left shin armour has a sculpt line following on from the loin cloth 'fur' to name but a few issues... check the bicep area of the arm on the right if you need some more.

So I brush base coated the fur again with Vajello flat Brown, and repainted the armour with Fenris Grey, then started doing the furless flesh that was on display, that gritty, mould-liney flesh. I started with Vajello flat brown with a little Vaj beige brown, then worked up the layers until the final coat was watered down vaj beige brown and vaj white. Overall I'm quite happy with the way it came out, in particular the chest (will be getting a wash in the recesses, it's not 100% yet).

The bits that irked me were the hands. Now the hands looked like I'd drawn them. I can draw hands, but not fingers, so I was a bit disappointed to see the pointy sausage type things on display with numerous resin balls and dodgy mould bits between them. the insides of the hands were flat, but with mould dodginess again (and I learned from another three fingered Mark of the Lycan mini, that trying to knife off the excess flash and resin balls on the hands is a path to folly). So, all details on the inner hands and inner forearms (hand pads/tendony bits) are painted on, there's no detail, it's just paint on a flat surface...

The teeth and eyes aren't properly done yet, I highlighted them so I could see the mouth properly as its a bit of a mess round there and I couldn't tell what's what. That said, I think part of his lip may be white.

Anyhow, so far so good...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've got a load of those too! ;-) haha Some of them are great, got some made by someone else too, can't remember who though...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Operation hide the shitness continues with some blending on the legs (drybrushing brings out the hideousness soemthing wicked), and on the last two pictures, some chaffing and battle damage, although it's not finished yet, running out to get some scoff then the chaffing continues!

And with the starting battle damage:

I'm not into putting battledamage on my chaps normally (I make sure they polish their armour before every battle... but these would seem more fluffy when damaged and shot up a bit because they're hairy wolfmen. They don't even wear the backpacks for god's sake, their keks must be heavy as f*ck!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
despite the poor quality of the cast, things are looking good mate!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Cheers Midge! Trying to get the armour details to look like a normal set of power armour. Looking forward to basing him to hide the thick soles to his shoes... haha :)

Okay, wolfman so far. Main armour done, with the exception of doing the damage on the gold and washing the silver bits. need to do the loincloth, fur and pouches, then it's just all the pissy details like teeth properly, mouth, eyes and claws.

And this is how the Stormtalon is looking atm:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Final one on the Wulfen, he's as done as he ever will be, and now matt varnished to help keep the paint on.

Now back to the Stormtalon..

21 - 40 of 153 Posts