Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! I want to begin my collecting of a Grey Knights army, starting at 1000 points. The goal is not cimpetitiveness but more to have fun. Though I'd still need a lil help building a quite fast and playable list. I do love the looks of Interceptors and want to include at least one unit of those. I also like the idea to jump into my enemy's face and well.. incinerate it! Anyways I won't include units I don't like the looks of, such aa most units available not wearing power armour and the dreadknight is imo aweful.

Here's what I have planned. Simply quite a few bodies around and all in transports or with teleporters.

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with Daemonblade.
40 p

Just a cheep, cool HQ with some real close combat potential with a lil luck

10 Grey Knights with 2 Daemonhammers, 3 Force halberds, 2 Psycannons.
255 p

These guys combat squad to form 1 CC unit along with my HQ and another squad with 2 Psycannons to be dropped in a favourable position along the way into the combat. Goes in the Stormraven. I'm not really sure if it's worth giving all CC Strikes special close combat weapons, opinions on this?

5 Grey Knights with 1 Psycannon.
Razorback with Twin-Linked Heavy bolters, Psybolt ammunition.
160 p

Standard 5 man strike squad with a Psycannon in an transport with a little 36" firing power to support where needed and capture objectives

5 Grey Knights with 1 Psycannon.
Razorback with Twin-Linked Heavy bolters, Psybolt ammunition.
160 p

Same as above

5 Interceptors with 1 Incinerator.
150 p

To jump onto an enemy-held objective/small key unit in cover and flame away, as well as distract/disturb/contest. Could potentially be held in reserve maybe?

Stormraven Gunship with Twin-linked Assault cannons, Heavy bolters, Psybolt ammunition.
225 p

Strong air craft with serious fire power able to missile infantry and shoot enemy flyers to death with its twin-linked 3 S6 shots and twined 4 S7 redning shots which all in all are very versatile weapons. Also as mentioned to transport the 10 combat squaded Strikes and HQ

Total points: 990

So there you have it! What do you think, how can I improve, what am I lacking, any tactical advice etc? Please let me know your opinion :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey, welcome to Heresy.

Looks interesting. Who do you play against mostly?

The small number of bodies in a squad will see Dark Angels or tank heavy Guard laughing as they Ap3 pie plate you into oblivion. The 24" range of grey knights means that you'll be jockeying for position whilst the opposing army is hammering you with ranged weapons. However, a storm raven is hard to deal with at 1000 points, so you will be in a good position with that, and the interceptors can always shunt to scare the opponent for one round of shooting. Due to your low model count, I'd have your shooters and your interceptors on the board at the leading edge of your deployment zone, but hugging cover as much as possible. Everything else is in reserves, to deep strike or fly on and try to outflank the enemy and give your shooters the reprieve they'll need to move up and unleash the psycannons.

Low body count makes this list vulnerable, but psybolt and fliers can win the day. Target priority will be a big point for you, try to knock out AP3 whereever you can before it can get a bead on your small squads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi and thanks for the feedback! :)

Atm I actually don't play very much, more that I want to start building myself an army, but I do know my friends are working on tyranids, orks, tau, chaos marines and dark angels.

I'm not sure I follow you regarding my low body count, as most list I've seen around here all are around 25-30 men with some transports (accept for those including henchmen etc that is). Unless you meant that Grey Knights in general suffer from a low body count relative to most other armies, which is an issue you usually have to work with as a GK player? However, I do agree with you that small unit sizes is a problem. Though I didn't really know how to solve that and still make it a functional army. All I could really think of was making 10 man units with a rhino transport instead but then I'd struggle to find the points for a stormraven.

Which apart from the sheer coolness of it, also fill the function of somewhat countering that short 24" range problem that follows with storm bolters and psycannons.

I really do appreciate the tactical tips of yours! :eek:k: Which units exactly do you refer to when you speak of my "shooters"? Is that the combat squaded unit with 2 psycannons, the razorback units with a psycannon each or all of them? ^^ Also, do you suggest me to deploy the 5 man units embarked on the razorbacks or footslogging?

Thanks a lot and please keep give me more feedback everyone, I wanna learn! ^^

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hey.

When I said low body count, what I mean is that you will find point for point, every other army that isn't based on terminators can field more models than you. Yours are generally better, but it means you need to make every death you take paid for in blood.

Shooters is definitely anyone with a psycannon and any vehicle with a preponderant ranged capability - so razorbacks. As you won't be starting the game in range, definitely put your troops into the razorbacks, as having them out just asks for your enemies to pump them full of more wounds than five 3+ saves could reasonably be expected to save.

You will love close combat with Tyrannids, as your armour ignoring force weapons cause instant death if you use a warp charge and psychic test after causing a wound. This means that warriors and monsterous creatures will tremble and fall before your basic marines, if you live long enough to get into combat.

Against hordes, your shot output could land you in trouble, as you conceivably may not have enough bullets to kill all the models in the enemy force. This may apply to tyrannids, orks or guard (rarely). In this case, knock out any tyrannid synapse and then try and force leadership checks. The more times they run away, the more you will be able to focus a different squad onto a different target to keep the horde at bay.

Against tau, you are going to have a tough time. I don't see them in my gaming group, but from the batreps that I've watched you are going to find it difficult to survive long enough to make any meaningful damage. I'd almost recommend kamikaze runs to get into CC, but anyone else with an opinion would probably be better than mine.

Chaos are your ideal opponent. Sure, your weapons are AP4 or AP5, but the extra strength from psybolt is going to make a huge difference. In addition, the big nasty lords don't generally have eternal warrior anymore, so your force weapons will be very effective. The Force Halberd is a good choice against these guys, as the extra initiative will allow you strike first and the AP will ignore their power armour.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay I'm with you now. I do think, however, that that's gonna be hard to do anything about unless I wanna lose the stormraven or both razorbacks. So think I'll try this grey knights' version of aspect eldar out :p (would prolly be more aspect with one unit of termies, purifiers etc which could be cool for fluff maybe, "aspect knights" :eek:k: but small somewhat dedicated squads at least)

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out! It's very helpful :)

Anything else to suggest? Swapping out any unit for another? changes in equipments that could serve me well? Or simply just a similar list?

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Honestly, I'd be happy to field your list in a game.

If i were playing somewhat differently - such as with an objective taking focus - i may drop the interceptors, swap the malleus inquisitor for coteaz, drop on daemon hammer and one or two halbards (halbards are great for challenges) to free 100 or so points. Then take a cheap acolyte squad to hold a back table objective and take a death cult assassin and crusader squad in the storm raven to chop through power armoured units.

So, my best recommended thing for you to do is play a few games and see how the army you've got fares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts