Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was chatting to a couple of friends of mine about these guys the other day. and aside from Ben Counters books there seems to be little or no information on the Grey Knights aside from the fact they are very potent psykers and are at the call of the Inquistion (everytime someone says that i keep thinking monty python for some reason or other) anyway heres an idea.
at the end of the flight of the Eisentien you're wondering what happened to Garro and co is it possible that these remaining loyalists from the Death Guard and the lone remaining space wolf were the beginings of the Grey Knights althought seeing as the Grey Knights are psykers then that might just throw that idea out the window, any ideas and where can i find more information on them?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The Grey Knights aren't 'at the call of the inquisition' They are soley of the Inquisition - their Grand Master is on the council of the Maleus.

Also - the idea that Garro and co. became the founders of the Inquisition (not merely the GK) is a pretty common fan theory.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didn't know that bit but i do wish there was some info out there on them seeing as they seem to be to the best of my knowledge near cadia and watching out for Abaddon and his barmy army.
i really hope somone writes the Armageddon conflict and the battle with Angron i think that would be an awesome book to write.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Grey Knights aren't 'at the call of the inquisition' They are soley of the Inquisition - their Grand Master is on the council of the Maleus.

Also - the idea that Garro and co. became the founders of the Inquisition (not merely the GK) is a pretty common fan theory.
They are at the call the inquisition. They are in themselves, a seperate marine chapter, through which the inquisition can acquire aid. According to Counter's novels anyway.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
They are at the call the inquisition. They are in themselves, a seperate marine chapter, through which the inquisition can acquire aid. According to Counter's novels anyway.
But they are part of the Inquisition itself.

didn't know that bit but i do wish there was some info out there on them seeing as they seem to be to the best of my knowledge near cadia and watching out for Abaddon and his barmy army.
The Grey Knights Chapter is based on Titan, one of Saturn's moons in the Sol System. But very rarely, if ever have they ever been utilised as a full chapter in a single conflict, they are where they need to be. After all, the threat of Chaos is present throughout the whole Imperium, not just the region surrounding the Eye of Terror.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I highly doubt that Garro, Loken and Qruze were the founders of the Inquisition, or even the Ordo Malleus sub-sector. It would appease the hints in The Flight of the Eisenstein, the mysteries of their unknown Gene-seed and the like if they formed the Grey Knights Chapter, who may be encompassed by the founding of the Ordo Malleus at some point?

The forthcoming Garro Audio-books will no doubt reveal more on this intruiging subject.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The grey knights are not organised like a standard codex chapter, they are there solely to combat the greatest threat to the imperium, the daemonic.

There are rumours that the grey knights number up to 5000 marines, although GW has never revealed their true number, 1000 is no where near enough to police the entire galaxy. They don't have battle companies or groups in the same way as regular marines, nor do they have a chaper master, but rather a council of Grand masters

Personally I think that Garro was the 1st GK, GK training and battle doctrine is very similar to the preheresy deathguard, and it would appear from hints in FotE that Garro was a latent psyker, all GKs are recruited as psykers anyway.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well if the Dark Angels have thier secrets then the great keepers of secrets seem to be the Grey Knights i for one wouldn't want a psyker the size of a mountain coming after me thanks but thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
well if the Dark Angels have thier secrets then the great keepers of secrets seem to be the Grey Knights i for one wouldn't want a psyker the size of a mountain coming after me thanks but thanks for the info
Psyker the size of a mountain? I'm intrigued as to who you're talking about

·
Registered
18 Posts
...at the end of the flight of the Eisentien you're wondering what happened to Garro and co is it possible that these remaining loyalists from the Death Guard and the lone remaining space wolf were the beginings of the Grey Knights althought seeing as the Grey Knights are psykers then that might just throw that idea out the window...
Usual tactic - Games Workshop presents two stories, which are directly contrary one to another. Garro &co maybe the first Grey Knights, or they may simply have been imprisoned and killed.
There was one of the Space Wolves onboard the Eisenstein? I think it will have been one of the Luna Wolves/ Sons of Horus?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Another theory on where the GK come from is towars/at the end of the HH Malcador found loyalist librarians from the traitor legions and presented the to the emperor who from them made the GK because they were the most loyal marines in his service and could not possibly turn to chaos. I also think Garro had more hand in founding the inquisition than the GK because of what's written at the end of FotE.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The only definitive thing we know is that the grey knights were founded from loyalists within the ranks of the traitor legions, those who had witnessed the fall of thier legions but had resisted its curruption.

Technically there should not be any librarians during the Heresy because of the council of Nikea

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Keepers of the Secrets are the little dudes who hold Azrael's helm. I assume a Great Keepr of Secrets is a giant psychic Ringwraith wannabe.

Midnight
Keepers of Secrets are the Slaanesh Greater Daemons, those little figures in robes who hold Azrael's helmet are a race of Xenos so I doubt there is a 'Great' version- certainly not one that's a lot bigger than a human.

And there absolutely no reason they'd have anything to do with Grey Knights- I'm not even sure why it came up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
off topic:theyre called watchers in the dark.
on topic: for myself, i like the secrecy of the founding of the GK, it just fits theyre MO perfectly that we do not know.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
The only definitive thing we know is that the grey knights were founded from loyalists within the ranks of the traitor legions, those who had witnessed the fall of thier legions but had resisted its curruption.

Technically there should not be any librarians during the Heresy because of the council of Nikea
In A Thousand Sons it suggests that there was not a ban on Librarians as such, just a ban on them using sorcery.
Psykers were not the problem, it was the TS delving too deeply into dangerous stuff that the Emperor was worried about.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

It's a theory with a lot of circumstantial evidence but we don't know for certain that the GK were founded from marines that remained loyal when the rest of their legions turned traitor.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
There are rumours that the grey knights number up to 5000 marines, although GW has never revealed their true number, 1000 is no where near enough to police the entire galaxy.
Even if they numbered five thousand, that is still no way near enough to protect the entire Imperium from the Daemonic.

Personally I think that Garro was the 1st GK, GK training and battle doctrine is very similar to the preheresy deathguard, and it would appear from hints in FotE that Garro was a latent psyker, all GKs are recruited as psykers anyway.
The problem with 'Garro being a latent Psyker' theory is that firstly its not even hinted at (if I remember correctly) in Flight of the Eisenstein. Secondly Mortarion hated psykers with a passion, and would not permit any into the ranks of the Death Guard (although Garro was inducted into the Dusk Raiders pre-Mortarion, so he may have bypassed such measures). Thirdly, the Grey Knights are heavily implied to bear their geneseed/genetic code directly from the Emperor himself, Garro doesn't, he bears Mortarion's. This seems to be the main issue standing in the way of 'Garro founding the Grey Knights' theory. Of course there is always the possibility of faith powers, considering he was worhsipping the Emperor as a god by the end of Flight, but thats a whole different ball game. In my view, Garro almost certainly has something to do with the Inquisition, most likely the Ordo Malleus - but whether it has anything directly to do with the Grey Knights is yet to be seen.

In A Thousand Sons it suggests that there was not a ban on Librarians as such, just a ban on them using sorcery.
Psykers were not the problem, it was the TS delving too deeply into dangerous stuff that the Emperor was worried about.
Actually A Thousand Sons (aswell as the Collected Visions) directly states that all Librarians were outlawed in all the Legio Astartes, not just the sorcerous practises of the Thousand Sons.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so heres one to just throw out there what would hapen if the GK became the next leigon to fall to chaos...i mean considering where they are based as well too close to home and it makes me wonder if some element of the Thousand sons is not used here after all they were mainly all psykers of some form or other....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts