Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
The Emperor's Gift by ADB.
I was afraid about reading more on Grey Knights/Inquisition fluff but this seems like a good read. I did some looking into the book and I'm actually quite surprised. In one hand you have the past Wolves of Fenris devoutly loyal to the Imperium, destroying and killing everything in their path to make sure the objective is met and for the overall good. This novel seems to do a 180 on their previous stance. It seems a bit hypocritical, though it makes for interesting concept to dwell upon rather than making it look like problematic fluff.

This is definitely my next read.

It's definitely up there with the best of the BL range. Also a nice little nod to one of Abnetts works at one point. The Grey Knights are depicted really, really well in this. as are the Wolves. Armageddon is suitably epic as well.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I was afraid about reading more on Grey Knights/Inquisition fluff but this seems like a good read. I did some looking into the book and I'm actually quite surprised. In one hand you have the past Wolves of Fenris devoutly loyal to the Imperium, destroying and killing everything in their path to make sure the objective is met and for the overall good. This novel seems to do a 180 on their previous stance. It seems a bit hypocritical, though it makes for interesting concept to dwell upon rather than making it look like problematic fluff.

Honestly once you read it you see that there's not change of stance the wolves are the same as they've always been.

Battle of the fang set out to show that wolves treated their allies with respect and were willing to help them.

The emperors gift just shows how far they are willing to go when they believe they are right.

Hasn't the lore for the First War for Armageddon basically always included the part about the Wolves being furious at how the survivors were treated?

Hasn't the lore for the First War for Armageddon basically always included the part about the Wolves being furious at how the survivors were treated?
Yes, but up until The Emperor's Gift we never saw the nitty gritty of it, and just how far the Wolves were willing to go to do the right thing as they saw it, and what they will do to those who betray them. As said in Stormcaller, "on Fenris, the oath breaker is lower than the beasts."

I liked Emperor's Gift but I felt it lavished too much love on the Wolves. I was expecting the Knights to really shine. Instead, it had a lot of "awesome Wolves are awesome" scenes

Still, I'll read anything by Aaron. His prose is that good.

Oh yeah...I think there should definitely be a sequel to Emperor's Gift.

I think the consequences of those actions should definitely be explored and I'm very surprised that Aaron (or another authour) hasn't done so

I just finished reading "The Emperor's Gift" actually and will be putting up my review in the weekend.

I think you'll find it quite entertaining and interesting, though I have to say that I found the first half of the book to be a little too slow paced for my liking.

It definitely makes you think about the Inquisition and the Space Wolves in a whole new light, and it even sparks a bit of philosophical pondering about the foundation of the Imperium itself, in my opinion.

I just finished reading "The Emperor's Gift" actually and will be putting up my review in the weekend.

I think you'll find it quite entertaining and interesting, though I have to say that I found the first half of the book to be a little too slow paced for my liking.

It definitely makes you think about the Inquisition and the Space Wolves in a whole new light, and it even sparks a bit of philosophical pondering about the foundation of the Imperium itself, in my opinion.
Thats pretty cool. I always liked the fluff behind this book. I sadly did not know The Emperor's Gift was about it.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I liked Emperor's Gift but I felt it lavished too much love on the Wolves. I was expecting the Knights to really shine. Instead, it had a lot of "awesome Wolves are awesome" scenes

Still, I'll read anything by Aaron. His prose is that good.

Oh yeah...I think there should definitely be a sequel to Emperor's Gift.

I think the consequences of those actions should definitely be explored and I'm very surprised that Aaron (or another authour) hasn't done so
I think the consequences are fairly obvious, the wolves have allot of respect and allies in other astartes chapters and planets.

Any attempt to get ride of them is going to cause allot of chapters to become upset about that.

After all as hyperion stated they are a first founding chapter who remained loyal at a time when it would have been extremely convenient for them to turn.

Secondly another all out war is going to cause more damage than what chaos would have ever done.

I think the consequences are fairly obvious
Are you saying that these events are not worthy of a sequel?

You've written a few obvious sentences. That doesn't mean a novel couldn't explore the consequences in-depth.

The consequences of the Wolves' actions would serve as excellent material for a future novel. Space Wolves are respected and all that...but the Inquisition and the Grey Knights have plenty of allies as well...and I don't think they're the types to not respond when their members have been killed by a supposedly loyalist chapter.

The Inquisition has been known to wipe out "renegade" chapters. I doubt they'd attempt to wipe out the Wolves, but they would probably do something in response, instead of just letting it slide. There are different factions within the Inquisition and the Grey Knights as well. Hard-liners would be pushing for some sort of censure. This is great stuff for a sequel.

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
Are you saying that these events are not worthy of a sequel?

You've written a few obvious sentences. That doesn't mean a novel couldn't explore the consequences in-depth.

The consequences of the Wolves' actions would serve as excellent material for a future novel. Space Wolves are respected and all that...but the Inquisition and the Grey Knights have plenty of allies as well...and I don't think they're the types to not respond when their members have been killed by a supposedly loyalist chapter.

The Inquisition has been known to wipe out "renegade" chapters. I doubt they'd attempt to wipe out the Wolves, but they would probably do something in response, instead of just letting it slide. There are different factions within the Inquisition and the Grey Knights as well. Hard-liners would be pushing for some sort of censure. This is great stuff for a sequel.
Read the new space wolf novel series, there are interesting things in it. The events could be worthy of a sequel but the characters on the inquisition side would have to be total morons.
After all attempting to wipe out a chapter that has proved their loyalty countless times and are valuable combat troops would be a dumb move.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.