Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking a great deal about this and has looked for info on the matter through tacticas and battle reports but I have come up dry. Grey Knights are the Deamonhunters but how do they fare in-game against deamons? What specials (if any) do they have that makes them great against deamons?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
They have a good balance between weight of fire and strength of fire to be really, really good against Lesser Daemons - a squad of Grey Knights with Psybolt Ammunition will tear through any Lesser Daemon squad and most of the mid-size Daemons. 20 Str5 shots at BS4 with Preferred Enemy is fairly terrifying to most of the Daemon units, who are good at shrugging off Plasma Guns or Lascannons due to their invulnerable but a lot less resilient to small arms. Preferred Enemy Daemons across the army helps a lot. The Dreadknight can go toe-to-toe with most of the Greater Daemons, with a Str10 Force Weapon that rerolls hits and wounds and doesn't necessarily have to be activated to work - all Nemesis Force Weapons have 'Daemonbane', which requires any Daemon hit by them to take a Leadership test or be insta-killed.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Plus, and obscene number of Warp Charges help to dispel most harmful Psychic Powers, and access to the Sanctic Daemonology powers without the risk of higher-than-usual Perils helps.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
It's a really nice change from the old Daemonhunters codex, which pretty much was at its worst when facing the (then) reincarnated chaos daemons codex.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
All good reasons presented so far. Some that haven't been touched on: Sanctic Banshment. Against Daemons with a 5++, that huuuurts. It's one of the only ways to break Screamerstar or invuln-buffed Daemons, as well--and if the unit trying to Deny doesn't have any DTW bonuses, there's no way to stop the some of those... say, Rhinos casting Banishment from getting their power through. Even against some psykers, there's a good chance you won't have enough dispel dice.

Also: insta-perils Stormraven missiles. Those things are brutal against a Daemons list, who these days have their bread and butter as psykers casting weird abilities and buffs. "Here, take 2 Perilses on your most valuable model, please."

Force weapons (on entire units) are great, once Force is cast, for culling multi-wound units like Flesh Hounds, Flamers, Bloodcrushers, Screamers, MCs...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
All good reasons presented so far. Some that haven't been touched on: Sanctic Banshment. Against Daemons with a 5++, that huuuurts. It's one of the only ways to break Screamerstar or invuln-buffed Daemons, as well--and if the unit trying to Deny doesn't have any DTW bonuses, there's no way to stop the some of those... say, Rhinos casting Banishment from getting their power through. Even against some psykers, there's a good chance you won't have enough dispel dice.
I totally forgot this, but it's a really obvious bonus for GK - -1 to Invulnerables is insanely good against Daemons, who rely on them exclusively.

Also: insta-perils Stormraven missiles. Those things are brutal against a Daemons list, who these days have their bread and butter as psykers casting weird abilities and buffs. "Here, take 2 Perilses on your most valuable model, please."
Really rather nice against the Greater Daemons - of limited use against Heralds due to wound allocation and Look Out Sir, but very nice for putting some wounds through on Great Unclean Ones.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Really rather nice against the Greater Daemons - of limited use against Heralds due to wound allocation and Look Out Sir, but very nice for putting some wounds through on Great Unclean Ones.
Really? I need to look at the mindstrike missiles rules again, but I was under the impression that any psykers hit by the blast template had to take an immediate Perils. You can only LOS! to reallocate wounds, not hits, right?

...not as useful against a swooping LoC/Fateweaver/DP, mind. Some modicum of defense, if we know those are coming in. Just hope we have enough AA to down it...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Really? I need to look at the mindstrike missiles rules again, but I was under the impression that any psykers hit by the blast template had to take an immediate Perils. You can only LOS! to reallocate wounds, not hits, right?

...not as useful against a swooping LoC/Fateweaver/DP, mind. Some modicum of defense, if we know those are coming in. Just hope we have enough AA to down it...
Never mind me, I had their stats completely wrong.

I think the Psyker has to suffer a hit from them - so if they're at the front of a unit, great, but of they're in the middle of the squad then the hits will just be allocated to the dudes in front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts