1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wouldn't pay anything for the first Night Lords book.

The Grey Knights series was good though, but this is absolute greed. They are trying to leech every single penny out of their readers.

Lets hope no one is dumb enough to fall for it and they will take this crap down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lets hope no one is dumb enough to fall for it and they will take this crap down.
There is always one.

But maybe... there can be only one !

Begin to sing Prince of the universe !

Pun aside...

Oh heck ! I just can help it, I did it again !

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah. In reality, there will be people who buy this because their "die hard collectors" or something like that. If they want to waste their money, that's on them. Just know, those are the people Black Library sells too. They hope for people like that.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Holy shit that is greedy.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Its a compilation of several past GK releases.

Grey Knights: Sons of Titan contains the following stories:

Maledictus (previously available as a standalone novel and eBook)
True Name (previously available as an MP3 audio drama)
Incorruptible (previously available as an MP3 audio drama)
The Mourning Tower (new to this collection)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had just downloaded the extract with no idea on the length or indeed the price.

That cost is batsh*t crazy. You would expect that much for something 3 or 4 times the length in page count.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wasn't Maledictus already 173 pages? I think the 128 page count is a place holder. Looking at the collected stories, 2 are audio drams which are normally 30 pages prose, this thing has to be at least 250+

Still bloody expensive, but not as terrible as it could be. Especially considering the original Maledictus was £15 so this is another £5 for the 3 extra stories.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For anything under 400 pages, £1 is too expensive.

I refuse to pay for that crap.

And yet, I read them just fine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm done with these tactics. BL should be ashamed of themselves. I love the Grey Knights. I don't look for a unified, consistent story with all the other authors/books, or the fluff. It's like different writers taking over a comic book. They often contradict each other (and sometimes try to fix it with a crappy retcon), but they can all be good. I like the concept of the Grey Knights, I like the ways they fight, and I like psykers. Ben Counter's books are vey good. So is Maledictus. I would love to read Incorruptible, and The Mourning Tower, whatever it is. But not like this. I'm tired of spending money to buy duplicates. I've already missed things, and will likely miss more. They're not getting my money with this kind of garbage. Next there will be another Scripts book, with Incorruptible, some others, and something else that is only available in that book. Sometimes businesses stop things that they made money on, but I don't think they continue things that they don't make money on. I won't participate in their profiting this way.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saw this in Waterstones last night, it's 230 pages. £20 for a 230 page "novel"... an absolutely pathetic showing from Black Library.

LotN

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is it just me or are people getting a lot more toxic to the idea of books under 400 pages these days? Now £20 for a 230 page book is disgusting, but BL releasing books of shorter length I really don't think is an issue. Some of the all time Sci Fi Greats like Enders Game, Foundation, Stars my Destination, Neuromancer and more are well under 400 pages. I think one of the biggest issues with BL books is that they seemed to be mandated to be very long for not a lot of story (Glaring at Battle of the Abyss). Honestly so long as the story that needs to be told is told adequately I really don't think length of the book is something we should be hung up on.

The prices though need to go down, £12-£15 max for a hardback and £8 for a paperback are acceptable standards these days. £20 for a book full stop I think is too much and lets not get started on the LE's.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
People are toxic over low page count plus very high price...also, quality trumps quantity...but sometimes quality plus quantity is even better than just quality...some stories would benefit from being longer
Exactly. A shorter novel means less space for story, character development, and all the other things that make a novel great. Less quantity doesn't necessarily mean less quality, but it does seem to mean that the writer has either forgo things in the novel or cram them into a shorter page count.

Black Library used to put out three four-hundred page new paperbacks a month, minimum. Now we are lucky to get one of those every four months, and instead we get these larger-novellas that are even more expensive than normal novels due to being hardbacks.

Black Library put out more Limited Edition stuff than they do regular stuff now. It's all LE novellas, eShorts and fricking product placement stories. That just isn't right.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear god...

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/blade-of-purity-cd.html

So not only is Grey Knights: Sons of Titan overpriced for what it is, now half of it's content has just been re-released as a CD. So you have a choice now, spend £10 and get half of the "novel" in the style it was meant to be read/listened in, or spend £20 and get the CD in print with two other stories. Or hell spend £30 and get two stories twice and two stories once.

This is a joke...

LotN

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.