Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes, I believe so and I also that they don't have any of the minor defects that some other Marine chapters have (i.e. they get all of the Marine implants and these all function properly).

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
It isn't specifically stated exactly what they get but you can infer it is the same as other Space Marines.

The big difference is that their gene seed is direct from the Emperor.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The big difference is that their gene seed is direct from the Emperor.
I've always been skeptical of this bit. The Emperor was a normal (psychic powers excluded) man. He didn't have the organs Space Marines have, he didn't have gene-seed.

I can accept that the Grey Knights have something in them, further differentiating them from regular Space Marines (though did prefer the previous fluff when it was entirely will based), just that it's not gene-seed from the Emperor.

That aside op, yes the Grey Knights have all the implants other Space Marines have, otherwise they wouldn't be Space Marines themselves would they?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The Emperor was anything but normal. For all we know, the organs Space Marines are implanted with were innate to him.

He was clearly not just a man and not just because of his vast psychic powers.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I've always been skeptical of this bit. The Emperor was a normal (psychic powers excluded) man. He didn't have the organs Space Marines have, he didn't have gene-seed.

I can accept that the Grey Knights have something in them, further differentiating them from regular Space Marines (though did prefer the previous fluff when it was entirely will based), just that it's not gene-seed from the Emperor.
Aren't all Space marines descended from the Primarchs who also didn't have gene seed in the same manner as the Space marines do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure they didn't mean 'HIS' Gene-seed. Probably more like a special gene-seed made just for them. No primarch, just here you go ghostbusters, now go kill some Daemons and anyone who sees them.

The emperor was not just a man. He was a perpetual or whatever they are called. They reference several of them in Know No Fear. Just he was foolish enough to decide to take control of mankind.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
The Emperor was a normal (psychic powers excluded) man. He didn't have the organs Space Marines have[/QUOTE]

Saying the Emperor is a normal man, is like saying Hendrix was a normal guitarist.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Anyone else been lucky enough to read the emperors origin story in the old realms of chaos book? If you want a quick brief I am more than happy to post a very quick version of the story.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yep! Its fantastic. Loads of wanna be Paul Stanley's charging around the universe!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone else been lucky enough to read the emperors origin story in the old realms of chaos book? If you want a quick brief I am more than happy to post a very quick version of the story.
Sounds good to me. I didn't read that one. Is it still relevant? The only reason I ask is compare the new Space Wolves (Vlka Fenryka) are not as previously described as in the Ragnar series.

·
Registered
638 Posts
After reading Deliverance Lost, I've come to think that the Custodes gene-seed was based on the primary genetic code used as a base for the Primarchs. Not to be comparable to the Primarchs, but it's clearly stated that the base genetic formula was modified for each Primarch, then each Legion Astares gene-seed was based on the particular Primarch's DNA mix.

Again, in the descriptions in Deliverance Lost of the Primarch project, it sounds like the Emperor may have been working somewhat from his own DNA, but had 'evolved' his sample to a such a frightening degree that the HH-era chief Mechanicum geneticist can't even recognize much of what he's looking at.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A good question in earnest. I know for a fact that Grey Knights do get special implants that strengthen them against powers of the warp. Keeping in mind that the Grey Knights are the prime force which the Imperium uses to counter daemons and Warp-incursions it would not surprise me if they have implants that most Astartes do not.

Additionally there armor also is a special note. "The suits of power and Terminator armor worn by the Grey Knights are incredibly well crafted lattice of psychoconductive filaments..." as Lexicanum tells us. Additionally when the Emperor initially created the Grey Knights in the final days of the Horus Heresy it was for the sole purpose of defending Mankind against enemies that were of the Emperors caliber; who were stronger than most Astarte's.

As for the question of origins I honest have no damn idea. Lexicanum just says the Emporer. Personally I think they hail from Titan, Saturn's moon. That's there homeworld, so I can only assume there gene-seed was developed there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As an astrophysics major, I'll handle this. When two planets are attracted to one another very much, they tend to collide and produce a debris field that forms into smaller bodies via accretion and then gravitation.

On topic, Grey Knights are Space Marines, with all that being a Space Marine entails. On top of this they get the psychoconditioning and hex warding of the Grey Knights to protect them from daemonic threats, and they are all psykers. Other than that the only thing that changes is their equipment.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I thought the stories were heading down the line of, GK geneseed comes from Garro ( from the HH books ) and the entourage he has/is getting..

The one now going around collecting up psychers in plain grey armour (Grey Knight style) who is resistant to the effects of Chaos and the Traitor legions (has to be resistant to the effects of Chaos or he would be very dead by now imho)

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is the mystery chapter on Titan that's visualized in The Last Remembrancer, serving as the prison guards for what seems to be all the corrupted prisoners of Terra during the HH. Iacton Qurze seems pretty comfortable and familiar with them. I know they don't fit the bill for the 40K GK, but there they are... on Titan... doin' their thing... whatever that is.

Since I've yet to download any audio dramas, but could this be the group of SMs from the Traitor Legions that flee to Terra at the start of the HH and Malcador has to find something for them to do? Anyone?

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
As an astrophysics major, I'll handle this. When two planets are attracted to one another very much, they tend to collide and produce a debris field that forms into smaller bodies via accretion and then gravitation
So in essence Calis your saying the Grey Knights are a bunch of useless asteroids. Nice, less process the SOB's hahaha :laugh:

Staying on topic though.........
the mystery chapter on Titan
This is not a mystery. The Chapter on Titan is the Grey Knights home world. I found it on Lexicanum, and GW's Grey Knights cannon lore back s it up. Seems the Emperor sent his best man and 12 warriors there. When they arrived they found a fully functioning base with supplies and people. Thus we can conclude that's there home world. It would also explain why they have such good technology and weapons, considering there right next door to Mechanicus heaven and the Ecclesiarches main Cathedral.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
So in essence Calis your saying the Grey Knights are a bunch of useless asteroids. Nice, less process the SOB's hahaha :laugh:
I think you missed the joke there. Or I've been totally befuddled by the last sentence. I don't even know what that means if I'm honest :p

This is not a mystery. The Chapter on Titan is the Grey Knights home world. I found it on Lexicanum, and GW's Grey Knights cannon lore back s it up. Seems the Emperor sent his best man and 12 warriors there. When they arrived they found a fully functioning base with supplies and people. Thus we can conclude that's there home world. It would also explain why they have such good technology and weapons, considering there* right next door to Mechanicus heaven and the Ecclesiarches main Cathedral.
Except the Ecclesiarchy didn't come into existence as an organisation until after the Heresy. When the Grey Knights were formally created (i.e. met the Emperor and then departed for Titan), it was the Siege of Terra and the worship of the Emperor as a God was still outlawed.

Also, only 8 laid the foundation for the Grey Knights. The other four became the first Inquisitors according to the Grey Knight codex.

And Titan isn't their home a-such. Not in the same way say Baal is for the Blood Angels. The recruits were "gathered from across the span of the galaxy; some raw and untrained, others selected secretly from the ranks of those Space Marine legions that had remained loyal." So none of the recruits or the first 8 Grand Masters were native to Titan (or at least the majority weren't).

Plus "new supplies of gene-seed lay preserved in cryo-vaults". Now just from a linguistic point of view, I would say that this speaks more of supplies brought to Titan than being developed there. In addition, the codex later says "where other Space Marine Chapters were built on existing stock, the Grey Knights were born of a new gene-seed, one without the flaws of those that had gone before, and which carried the gift of the Emperor's own flesh and soul."

So, I would conclude that since the Grey Knights are identified as Space Marines, their recruits were some initiates from other legions and they have the gene-seed that they get all the implants other chapters get except "without flaws" that other Chapters might posses.

Also, on a side note, emporershand89, in future please consult the below image to avoid using "there" when you mean "they're" or "their"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts