Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I first started upon the Warhammer hobby during the tail end of 40k’s Second Edition. My armies include Ultramarines (first army), Dark Eldar (2nd army), Dark Angels (3rd army) that has never been used as I still have to get the “dip the figure in a paint pot” style of my younger brother removed from the 2nd Edition figures, Craftworld Eldar (3rd army) which is partially assembled and still needs painting, Orks from the Black Reach box (still in the box, for that matter so debatable as an army), and a SM army of my own creation with the name currently “Sons of the Dragon”. That last one’s been off and on since near the end of 4th Edition, where I intended them to have used the rules to make them True Grit, Preferred Enemies: Tyranids, and with one of the three major disadvantages plus the minor disadvantage of not using scouts.

For the Fantasy side, I started during the second half of 6th Edition and I’ve still not played a single game. I hope to have this rectified shortly now that 8th Edition is out. My armies here include Dark Elves (1st army), Empire (2nd army), and small amounts of Wood Elves and Dwarves that are still in their boxes. Honestly, most even my two primary armies are mostly assembled and primed with the Dark Elves actually having some units fully painted. For the Empire army, most of it was based off that 6th Edition set with my having added some additional units to push it into a Middenheim army for the Storm of Chaos campaign. At this point I’ll be counting the Teutogen Guard as Greatswords, and I’m glad I didn’t get the Free Companies assembled into the White Wolf’s equivalent. *Mutter, mutter, curse.* Plus I’ll miss the lack of being able to use the Huntsmaster and his hounds. Ah well. At least I didn’t make that Dwarf Slayer army I had been thinking of at the time instead. ;)

My favourite battle moment: When my Scourge Sybarite’s splinter pistol removed the last wound of an opponent’s Tyranid Hive Tyrant during 3rd Edition. The look on my opponent’s face was priceless. I know Scourges aren’t popular now, but I liked using them then…and may again now that the new codex is on the way. Being able to Deep Strike a squad of them with Dark Lances onto the roof of a castle tower in the middle of the battlefield on the second turn had some advantages.

That about covers my hobby basics, and thank-you for reading this introduction. Happy gaming to you!

(P.S. to the Mods: If this turns out to be a double thread, please delete one as my connection timed out to the website when I tried to post it the first time)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
welcome to heresy. we have some paint thinner threads. but Id look for Green works / Simple green Solvents to remove some of the paint. but ill note this: you may have lost the Details completely with your younger brothers idea of painting.

still, welcome, and hope you enjoy yourself

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice and greetings, KhaniteAssassin.

I shall definitely see if I can hunt down the solvents you have suggested. I may be overstating just how bad the miniatures are, as really he just took a brush and added base coats of Dark Angels green to the minis and red to the weapons...but he put them on everything from blades to guns, even before he fully assembled the things. Oh well, at least he's got a good start for his Space Wolves. Assuming he ever uses it, that is. We bought that one (again 2nd edition, maybe some 3rd) from a friend who did a pretty decent job of those Wolves. When I moved away from my parents, I took the DA and gave him my half of the Wolves. I liked the background for the DAs better at the time, and regret that their last codex was basically a test-bed for the Space Marines codex more than anything.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just used Simple Green, it's a commercially available cleaner, to remove the undercoating on a pewter mini that I wasn't happy with the result on on. I used it at full strength, just enough to cover the mini in a small glass. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so then scrub with an old toothbrush to start removing the paint. Rinse and repeat until you are satisfied with the cleanliness. With enough time it will completely remove all the old paint. Good luck :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts