Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into getting some green stuff for the first time. i was wondering if anyone could recomened a cheaper alternative. thanks in advance

hawkes

·
Registered
326 Posts
What are you going to use greenstuff for? Greenstuff tends to be treated as an all around sculpting medium, but really its good for getting details on your model. For bulk work, or very general shapes milliput or even sculpey work fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stop right there.

You dont want to buy green stuff, you want to buy Kneadatite green, which is green stuff basicly. You get more for you money and it is the same thing. Try ebay for realy good deals on it.
You can get 20g packs from GW but you can get 3 times that amount for the same price from ebay and places like that,

So search Kneadatite green, like a real man...

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use Mighty Puddy. I got 10 tubes for $9.99. The tubes are large as well. It dries a little fast but if you keep a little bit of water around it works just fine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
that's hilarious! but if you look around you can find it for dirt cheap. LTD commodities is where i got it from. If you goto a walmart or any craft store you can get 4 tubes for 10 bucks. Or you do some searchin.

woog out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are there any other reviews of this Mighty Putty from people here who have used it? It's only $10 US for almost a pound of it around the corner from me. As opposed to $8 US for .7 oz. of greenstuff.

I never used greenstuff bacause I can't justify that kind of expense but if the Mighty Putty works then...what the hell right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
The difference between the different putties are how fine a detail you can get with it. I know a lot of folks who use 2 or even 3 different putties when making larger models. Reserving the green/brown stuff for finer detail.

·
Registered
575 Posts
After using it for some more projects i have to say that it dries to fast and is hard to work with in fine details. I've yet to work with the greenstuff but i think i'll pick some up next time i plan on doing my next conversion.

woog out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok so I am now looking at a different putty that might be good enough for this sort of work. The Mighty Putty dried almost before it was placed on the model. My LHS has some stuff labeled "Apoxie". It comes in two little tubs and sells for a small amount for quite a bit. Is this stuff anything like the Greenstuff? It says it has a 3 hour working time so I would think it is better for modeling.

·
Registered
575 Posts
"apoxie" is the original brand name for epoxy. I've used it for automotive applications but that was so long ago i forget how it works. I'd be interested in seeing how that works being that i work at an auto parts store and could get it dirt cheap.

woog out!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I've gotten Apoxie Sculpt but I haven't hada chance to use it yet. I've had friends highly recommend it though.

And as another poster mentioned Kneadatite.

Kneadatite isn't LIKE greenstuff - it IS greenstuff.

GW and other hobby companies buy and re-brand it, but you can get it bulk from one of their distributors.

Cheers,
Kreuger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts