Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so! ive been mulling it over way too long and i need to choose

what chapter do i start an army for? white scars or salamanders?

i love both playable characters and the fluff, but which do i start?

HALP NEEDED!

thanks guys and girls :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, Salamanders for the jolly green giant-men PURGING WITH FIRE.
White Scars for the biker-horde, screaming about on the battlefield - bringing swift death to your foe.

I don't think it can be summed up any more than that :p Pick whatever you feel appeals to you the most.

If it helps, white is harder to do well than green when it comes to painting :p

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh...painting isnt an issue here, my ig has alot of white so im used to it

i like the 2 styles as well, close firefighting or massed bikers :/

they both feel fresh on the feild compared to guard :p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Why not a homebrew chapter? You could field either or both characters (count-as) and the weapons and equipment which please you.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive done nothing but homebrew since i started the hobby, all those years back XD

i fell its time for a really fluffy army :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, White Scars will be vastly different than anything you will see from most other players. If you are going for uniqueness, then I can really recommend a biker army (seing as I play a Dark Angels successor, I have some experience int hem :) )

Again, good luck with your choice :p

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have to admit, 20 odd bikes screaming about in 1000 pts sounds damn good :D
but having up to 6 dreds stomping around the feild is also attractive :')

would anyone judge me if i decided this with the flip of a coin?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Everyone would judge you if you flipped a coin over this.

You should roll a dice instead, if you want randomness in 40k ;)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about the Mentors Chapter?

They have both of the colours you're interested in and have the advantage of not having volumes of fluff written about them so you can be fairly free to do as you wish.
they sound interesting, but they dont seem like a chapter to have a full force at any one time.

i'd be quite interested to maybe include a squad of them as sternguard vets with either the salamanders or white scars as that seems to fit them better.

thanks tho, i think youve sewn the seeds of a small future project :D

i think im gonna have to flip a coin for this, who wants to call it?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Why don't you do a combined 'Crusade' force? Just invent a symbol that the different Chapters can wear that would denote a force fighting in the same conflict. This way you can have the best of both cake and eat it.
So, you could do all of your Termies and Sternguard as Firedrakes, and do all of your bikes and 'speeders as White Scars, maybe even making a Moondraken for Khan. When you add to the force you can make units whatever you want, depending on what story you come up with. Maybe you could have Tac squads as a mix of Chapters- one squad as WS, one squad as Sallies. Any Scout squads could be made to be WS, maybe heavy armour could be Sallies.
Such a 'Crusade' army is, for me, the best of all worlds because I can add whatever Chapters I want to the army, whenever I expand it. Hope I've helped and not just muddied the waters!

GFP

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why don't you do a combined 'Crusade' force? Just invent a symbol that the different Chapters can wear that would denote a force fighting in the same conflict. This way you can have the best of both cake and eat it.
So, you could do all of your Termies and Sternguard as Firedrakes, and do all of your bikes and 'speeders as White Scars, maybe even making a Moondraken for Khan. When you add to the force you can make units whatever you want, depending on what story you come up with. Maybe you could have Tac squads as a mix of Chapters- one squad as WS, one squad as Sallies. Any Scout squads could be made to be WS, maybe heavy armour could be Sallies.
Such a 'Crusade' army is, for me, the best of all worlds because I can add whatever Chapters I want to the army, whenever I expand it. Hope I've helped and not just muddied the waters!

GFP
ah dont worry about it, the waters were already muddied :p

but damn, if that aint an interesting idea :D

i think we have a winner!! :laugh: BOTH!

nao, was there ever a crusade or campeign where the two chapters fought together?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'd pick the Salamanders just so I could use those sweet Legion of the Damned models as Sternguard. But other than that, why not do a crusader force of codex chapters, tac squads of sallies and fast attack elements of scars? This was something like I was planning, to build a force with every squad coming from different codex chapters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts