Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a fascination with Greeks at the moment, everything from Mythological and Factual Greek, and want to make an army in Warhammer based off them.

I was wondering which army would fight this both rules and model wise or more so suggestions on what to use for the models. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well for models, you can't go far wrong with these:

http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/greek-hoplites-phalanx-3317-p.asp

As far as rules are concerned, were you looking to use a currently published army list and substitute X for Y (e.g. High Elf Spearmen = Greek Hoplites), or were you going to draw up your own army list?

If the former, I would probably suggest High Elves as a good proxy...they're probaby the closest thing you're going to get to a 'phalanx' rule with their spearmen fighting in extra ranks. Alternatively, Orcs&Goblins might do well representing a Greek army, with their massed ranks and a good selection of monstrous things that can represent a variety of mythical creatures (though the animosity rules don't really fit the theme).

If the latter, I would honestly be a little wary...homebrewed army lists tend toward the overpowerful, so I would have to be given fair warning and a good chance to study the list myself before commiting to a game against it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I defiantly wouldn't be making up my own rules and I was actually considering High Elves. I was kind of thinking just getting them some round shields.

I appreciate the link for the Greek Hoplites and will keep those in mind

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
...I would probably suggest High Elves as a good proxy...they're probaby the closest thing you're going to get to a 'phalanx' rule with their spearmen fighting in extra ranks.
If I understand correctly the changes for 8th Edition will result in all spear blocks fighting in multiple ranks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
GW used to make hoplite-looking pikemen for the DoW range. Having searched the site i can't see them anywhere :/ might be able to get them on ebay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts