Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

According to the fluff, in the 40k the Chaos Gods are having a great time.

1. They have successfully united to corrupt the Astartes, turning fully half the Legions to their side.

2. They have mortally wounded the Emperor to the point that he willl die some day soon.

3. The destruction they have wrought on the Imperium and the material universe as a whole has greatly enhanced their respective powers to the point that they are now undefeatable.

4. (MY INTERPRETATION OF THE FLUFF) They successfully derailed the Emperor's attempt to promote Atheism which would have all but destroyed Chaos because if people don't believe in Demons, their emotions cannot feed into the warp and thus into Chaos, and instead would have flowed towards the Emperor (enabling him to become a God in his own right).

5. They have now gone back to playing the great game in their own realms and have little need to seriously intervene into the material realm except for fun or in order to gain a better advantage for their situation in the warp.

Long story short...

Who do you think will be the next great challenger to Chaos' omnipotance?

I personally think it will be an epic showdown between Chaos and the Necrons at around 50 - 60 K.

I have been recently imagining that this conflict would be awesome in terms of narrative as the battles could literally take place between the various realms.

The Necrons could fight the remanants of the Chaos Astartes and human (as well as other races) followers.

But they could also assault into the warp itself and storm the great fortresses of each of the Chaos Gods.

You could have each of the Four Chaos Gods actually having to personally fight the C'tan.

What do you think?

Or is their perhaps a bigger threat to Chaos?

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it will either be vs the Necrons, but before that, the Tyranids may have something to say about them.
Yeah but the only problem with that is that the Tyranids cannot assault into the Warp and would actually be pretty useless against a Daemonic incursion, en masse.

So the Tyranids are more a threat to the followers of Chaos, than the actual Gods themselves.

Whereas the Necrons don't have those problems.

:)

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
goooood point. what I always wondered is, could the tyranids stop the Necrons? couldnt they just go and suck th elife out of them? or are they too inferior (organically) for the 'nids to even have them on their radar?
Not to rerail the topic, but I'll quickly answer.

In short the Tyranids avoid Necron Tomb Worlds like the Plague.

There is absoloutely no reason for them to ever challange a Necron army, as they simply expend Bio-Masse while gaining nothing in return.

The Necrons, I would imagine, would be able to deal pretty effectively with Tyranids if they wake up, because their ships would easily outmanoveur the slow Tyranid Hive Fleets.

·
Registered
872 Posts
However, if Tyranids kill all the followers of chaos, where are the chaos gods getting their power? Their power stems from the emotions of mortals, right? If there are no emotions, there is no power.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
4. (MY INTERPRETATION OF THE FLUFF) They successfully derailed the Emperor's attempt to promote Atheism which would have all but destroyed Chaos because if people don't believe in Demons, their emotions cannot feed into the warp and thus into Chaos, and instead would have flowed towards the Emperor (enabling him to become a God in his own right).
A widespread adherence to atheism wouldn't have all but destroyed Chaos at all. It would have been an important step on the road to weaken Chaos' hold on humanity, but ultimately mortals can still empower Chaos if they don't believe in gods or daemons.

Who do you think will be the next great challenger to Chaos' omnipotance?
Honestly, I don't think there will ever be an outside influence that could ever challenge Chaos now. Chaos is irreversibly woven into the fabric of the universe, the only way it could be destroyed is by its own hand.

I have been recently imagining that this conflict would be awesome in terms of narrative as the battles could literally take place between the various realms.

But they could also assault into the warp itself and storm the great fortresses of each of the Chaos Gods.

You could have each of the Four Chaos Gods actually having to personally fight the C'tan.
Its generally presumed that the C'tan cannot enter the warp, just as the Chaos Gods cannot directly remove themselves from the realms of the warp.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Obviously you guys have never heard of that dude called Draigo.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Draigo poses no threat whatsoever to Chaos.
One day, one very glad day he will go and make Khorne bleed to death, infect nurgle with a disease that will, well, kill him, beat Tzeneetch at chess and so make him go and commit suicide, and lastly he will show Slaneesh his balls and that should be enough to make that pervert go and take his own life.

I win.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The C'tan and the Chaos Gods really have very little ability to interact at all. The C'tan and Necrontyr are pretty-well stuck in realspace, and can't do any long term damage to Chaos. The threat that the Tyranids and Necrons represent is the extinction of most or all life in the galaxy, which would destroy the Chaos Gods. Their power comes from living things, and if there were none left, the Warp would be as calm and lifeless as reality.
If it ever looked like that was a true risk, it is likely the Chaos Gods would turn the full might of their power against these threats, and billions of Daemons would swarm across Tomb Worlds and Hive Ships alike. Even the Gods that fear nothing must have some survival instincts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok, firstly, you cannot destroy any of the chaos gods, their presence in the warp isnt physical. you cannot invade the warp, theres no bastions, no lands to take or fortifications to destroy. it is a realm of shapeless, colorless, aimless emotion, yet it contains all of these. its impossible to describe because its impossible to exist in. ships only survive because of the "bubble of reality" that they bring with them. chaos is as destructive to matter as matter is to it.

if you get past that problem, any damage you do in the warp will cease to have happened when you turn around or take your mind off of what you have done. the energy of the chaos realm remoulds to your will and emotions around you, if you are powerful enough to control it. the chaos gods realms are manifestations of their will and as such are able to be weakened but never destroyed. daemon princes have created their own small "realms" but each cannot be destroyed unless the prince is, and as a daemon in the warp its impossible to be destroyed. in the physical realm its very different, but in the warp a daemon cannot be slain only weakened for a small time.

also, any being that fears death, kills in anger or violence, lies and steals, or takes part in any form of pleasure, brings energy to the 4 powers. not much, but every being contributes to their power, in one form or another. not only that but the power of the warp extends throughout the universe, not just in the galaxy of 40k, their power is such that even if the warp were completely closed to them in the milky way, they will simply build up energy from other beings in other galaxies. they cannot be defeated or even weakened, and trying only feeds them.

and lastly if you do manage to comfront them within their realms, its not like its a god of war situation. "oh im a human being but i think im cool so im gonna just kill this god with my swordy awesome chainblades and emerge victorious if i try really hard...", its more like you cant even bear to be near them without being completely and utterly destroyed. its not that theyre so horrible in appearance or that they will talk you into insanity. just being in their presence saturates your existence with their power, mutation, disease, and images of death and carnage. draigo, he is a single mortal with a curse and though he's powerful enough to destroy microscopic portion of a chaos realm shortly before it completely repairs itself. the truth is the chaos gods rarely ever turn their attention on the mortal realm, they only ever aligned together to bring down the emperor during the heresy, thats it... everything else that has happened has been the gods vying against each other in the great game. sorry guys, but theres no end to something that had no beginning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One day, one very glad day he will go and make Khorne bleed to death, infect nurgle with a disease that will, well, kill him, beat Tzeneetch at chess and so make him go and commit suicide, and lastly he will show Slaneesh his balls and that should be enough to make that pervert go and take his own life.

I win.
So...Draigo is Chuck Norris? :laugh:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
The greatest threat to chaos is the quarterly report.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.