Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have just joined the forums after a bit of browsing and loving filling my head will everything 40k :eek:k:.
I dont know if this is the right place but i am starting to collect a Space Wolf Great Company, mainly for the painting/converting project and move to the gaming side later, and was after more input/ideas as to what/how many etc. I like the idea of Bran Redmaw in the Codex fluff (MoTW heavy troops), so far i have:
1 Wolf Lord
20 Wolf Guard (10 Terminator)
30 Blood Claws (2 packs of 15)
60 Grey Hunters (6 Packs of 10)
15-20 Long Fangs (3-4 Packs of 5)
I have not included Rune Priests, Wolf Priests etc. cos they are controlled by The Big Dog.
i am thinking about including transport but no idea what or how many.
Any reply or ideas would be very welcome :drinks:

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Hey guys i have just joined the forums after a bit of browsing and loving filling my head will everything 40k :eek:k:.
I dont know if this is the right place but i am starting to collect a Space Wolf Great Company, mainly for the painting/converting project and move to the gaming side later, and was after more input/ideas as to what/how many etc. I like the idea of Bran Redmaw in the Codex fluff (MoTW heavy troops), so far i have:
1 Wolf Lord
20 Wolf Guard (10 Terminator)
30 Blood Claws (2 packs of 15)
60 Grey Hunters (6 Packs of 10)
15-20 Long Fangs (3-4 Packs of 5)
I have not included Rune Priests, Wolf Priests etc. cos they are controlled by The Big Dog.
i am thinking about including transport but no idea what or how many.
Any reply or ideas would be very welcome :drinks:
Wolf Lord: I'll leave you to determine what you want with this guy. Soooo many options.

Wolf Guard: Often do well with frost blades, but I often go with have frost blades, 1 power fist. As they become to expensive. Both fluff wise and game wise, Frost blades look pretty good.

Wolf Guard (Terminators): You can't really make much mistake with how to use them unless you think too much. These guys are pretty simple. Storm shield and (thunder hammer or frost axe) is really the best way to go with terminators. As long as you have that good +3 invulnerable. Personally I think in fluff sakes they actually look cooler this way too.

Blood Claws: I never really like these crazy bastards, and you pretty much get what you get for them competetive wise. Most people tend to get 9 claws and a powerfist with a rhino. Making perhaps one of them a wolf gaurd with a powerfist. Fluff wise, these guys look more apropriate with no helmets to show their savagery. To best represent them people tend to use heads that have short hair and fangs to show youth comparred to the rest of the wolf army. I'd go with ten men a unit in three rhinos or drop pods.

Grey Hunters: Game wise you cannot use these along with your blood claws. I would use these for game sakes instead of the blood claws. But thats just my opinion. Both Fluff and game wise I would make 11 men squads off of them (one being a wolf gaurd; fluff wise you can decorate him to make him stick out from the rest) I'd give this guy a powerfist or a frost axe and arm another member of your squad with a powerfist as well. I tend to not use rhinos or drop pods with these guys, but if you do I'd use melta guns. If you want them long range firepower I'd arm them with plasma guns.

Long Fangs: Game wise cannot exceed over 3 heavy supports. Most wolf players will go 5 rocket launchers and sometimes even put a plasma gun on their squad leader. I usually tend to stay away from plasma guns on my leaders.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! I am mainly going for looks initaially (building a Great Company first), with a thought for playing at a later date, i am thinking about using MoTW every where i can, rabid marines, how cool is that?!.. oh and the D6+1 attacks for playing is nice too :D

As for the BCs yeah i may field 1 pack maybe drop em in... the +2 attacks on the charge with 9 of em i would like to try

1 - 3 of 3 Posts