Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
I really loved the first 6-7 of them but then thought they kind of went downhill, the best book by far (for me at least) HAS to be "Beastslayer" It is just full of epic all around!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I've only read as far as Vampire slayer.

My favorite book I think has to be Deamon Slayer. I like the epicness of beastslayer although the distraction of Felixes love life during that book can be irritating at times.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi,

I'm actually considering starting this series but I'm trying to understand the order.

OK, so there are the 3 omnibuses: First (Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer), Second (Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer), Third (Giantslayer, Orcslayer, Manslayer).

Where does Elfslayer and Grey seer fit in?

Or will the 4th omnibus include Elfsalyer, Shamanslayer, + third book with Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent and Bloodborn are all spin-offs?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The novels that developed from G&K, (I wont call them spin-offs because thats degrading to novels that have surpassed what they came from, you wouldn't call Frasier a spin-off of Cheers now would you?), won't be in any omnibus.

But you are right in the order Chaosveteran. First, second then third omnibuses followed by Elfslayer, Shamanslayer and now Zombieslayer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ah, right, thanks for clearing that one up )

And no offense intended to the books, its just that 'spin-off' was the first word that came to mind when I was speed typing and post the msg.

Bring back Fraser!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ah, right, thanks for clearing that one up )

And no offense intended to the books, its just that 'spin-off' was the first word that came to mind when I was speed typing and post the msg.

Bring back Fraser!
No problem.

And no don't bring back Frasier!, its ending was perfect.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Meh spin-off is the accurate term, Frasier is a spin-off of Cheers and I refer to it as such, just as I refer to CSI: Miami/NY as spin-offs- it's simply a term denoting that the source material originated from a different area.

Double Eagle and Titanicus are great books but they're both spin-offs of the Gaunts Ghosts series- I don't see how pointing out that certain books are based on a separate tangent of an already established franchise cheapens them...

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Because spin-offs are generally nothing but network executives trying to squeeze out extra money from a successful franchise, and they nearly always fail because you can't just take a single element from a successful franchise and make an entirely new one without lots of effort, and barely any get any effort. Its a derogatory term to me.

Frasier isn't just some spin-off. Its a fantastic series in its own right, and it far surpassed Cheers. Like how Thanquol and Boneripper, and Ulrika the Vampire have surpassed Gotrek and Felix.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ha! im watching frasier now!
The one where Daphne and Niles host a dinner party if anyones interested...

Anyway, I love this series, i started reading it in 07 but stopped so am re-reading it now.

Also, didnt know about the spin-offs will be sure to check them out!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Frasier isn't just some spin-off. Its a fantastic series in its own right, and it far surpassed Cheers. Like how Thanquol and Boneripper, and Ulrika the Vampire have surpassed Gotrek and Felix.
Hmmm...so should I not bother buying the G&F books and go straight for Grey seer and Ulrika (not to mention save 30 quid!) or will I be lost without the G&F background?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
You don't have to have read them to enjoy Thanquol and Ulrika. You shouldn't be lost as long as you can recognize when Thanquol is griping about Gotrek and Felix foiling his plans.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You don't have to have read them to enjoy Thanquol and Ulrika. You shouldn't be lost as long as you can recognize when Thanquol is griping about Gotrek and Felix foiling his plans.
hehe, i see. I just dont like books where the good guys aways win no matter against what odds (hence Im a chaos reader) and find it more enterntaining to read about baddies )

·
Registered
75 Posts
anyone else hear brian blesseds voice when reading gotreks lines?

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmmm...so should I not bother buying the G&F books and go straight for Grey seer and Ulrika (not to mention save 30 quid!) or will I be lost without the G&F background?
You don't need to read them to enjoy it but I'd highly reccomend the first 6 books as they are truly amonst my favorites and they will make the spin offs easier to comprehend

·
Registered
184 Posts
Daemonslayer was the best G&F novel, but I liked all of them. Ulrika's novel was good too. Just got Grey Seer, hopefully it will be good as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just picked up my copy of zombieslayer today though I have to finish reading The Hunt for Voldorius first before I can start it

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah I need to get Zombieslayer, should be on Amazon now. Hunt for Voldorius was pretty awesome. Gotta love Captain Shrike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts