Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get through painting the Dark Vegeance Chaos, I was wondering what's a good way to expand on them? Add more troops? Add a Heldrake?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The Competitive Take:
Lord with Mark of Slaanesh, ideally on a Steed but foot can kinda work.
A bunch of Noise Marines.
A Heldrake.

That's your anti-infantry pretty much covered. Anti-tank can be done by Havocs or Obliterators or CSM with Meltaguns or whatever. Backfield objectives done by MSU Noise Marines, Cultists if you like Cultists. Midfield done with more Noise Marines, Plague Marines if you can splash out on two Lords (not a bad idea in many lists), all in Rhinos.

In order of importance, I'd say -
Noise Marines (I'd go with 30 - two ten-man units with Sonic Blasters and Doom Sirens in Rhinks, and two five-man units with Blastmasters for backfield)
Rhinos for said midfield
Heldrake
Havocs

The generic and/or cool take:
Add something for strength in the midfield, and something to kill tanks. Midfield can be done with most power-armoured units, but I'd usually go for Mark of Nurgle/Slaanesh CSM (Slaanesh and the Icon of Excess for 20-man foot units, Nurgle for Rhino-mounted units) or whichever Cult unit matches your Lord (best options are Plague Marines and Noise Marines). Havocs work well with Autocannons or Lascannons, a Heldrake clears out most infantry, and you can go from there.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Add 1-2 helldrakes, and then pick up the following (If you want to go unmarked/unaligned)
1-defence line with quad gun
2-boxes of regular CSM's
2- boxes of space marine devastators/havocs
2- Rhinos

With this in mind you should have enough to make any of the following
10 man chosen squad with actually useful special weapons
2X8 havoc squads with what ever weapons you want
10X2 Marines squads with all the bells and whistles riding in transports

·
Registered
682 Posts
Expanding Dark Vengeance:

Buy more Cultists
Buy 2 helldrakes
Buy Marines and Forgeworld Autocannons to make havocs
Buy Obliterators

That's the tourney standard: Cheap Lord, Cultists and as many special toys you can fit in.

For more "fun" stuff:

Buy Dinobot x2
Buy extra Hellbrute
Buy Mutilators
Buy Spawn

Ally in Black Legion or Daemons.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Buy extra Hellbrute
only if you like the model, really. The brute is so sucky tou could as well play mutilators...

The guys up here gives you some sound advices...

BUT since you say you want to go Crimson slaughter...you should grab at least a 10 possessed! (troops for them if the rumor is true)
heldrakes, possessed, noise marines, regular marines, havocs, obliterators, rhinos...there you go. A months wage all wasted on plastic crack :p

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
A guy at my LGS took the entire box and made a nice Chaos build also using the DA as Chaos Marines and added Cypher (once his dataslate came out) and Helldrakes. He's won quite a few games and its actually a fun build to play against.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Thanks folks :) Seems the common denominator is to round out my troops choice first.
Yes, Troops win games and cultists need support from marines. So sounds like a good move, after that the Heldrake is good.

I support the idea of Helbrutes, they do take allot of hate online but I my games my pair of these monsters support my game winning units in a very effective way. Alone they and poor but they can move a heavy weapon around the table and can do very well in CC against the right target. (Troops without S6+ kit)

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I'll use Luke's suggestion as a base here . . .

Add 1-2 helldrakes, and then pick up the following (If you want to go unmarked/unaligned)
1-defence line with quad gun
2-boxes of regular CSM's
2- boxes of space marine devastators/havocs
2- Rhinos

With this in mind you should have enough to make any of the following
10 man chosen squad with actually useful special weapons
2X8 havoc squads with what ever weapons you want
10X2 Marines squads with all the bells and whistles riding in transports
I would honestly add in at least 1 box of possessed not for the unit itself, but as a source of conversion parts. I don't know how good the possessed in the crimson slaughter book really are, but I think the possessed arms, heads, bodies, legs, etc. add a great source of variety in other units. Especially if you might be mixing and matching chaos parts and imperial parts. The possessed sprues give you a nice way to spread the mutation of the Dark vengeance chosen around.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Get a box of CSM and a Rhino. That's the core of any army when you are starting off.

The Dark Vengeance CSMs literally have nothing that causes any damage. So, before buying anything, I'd have a strong think about what you want out of the army.
Along side a squad of CSM in a rhino, a unit of Obliterators will add some much needed firepower to your army. However, you will still be fairly slow. So a Heldrake would also be a viable option.

I personally would discount the cultists entirely, and focus on building a core.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
CSM box & a rhino.

a Chaos Predator OR Vindicator (if you want more tanks)

Forge World Legion heavy weapons (most go with Autocannons for havocs)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Get the Crimson Slaughterer codex too.

To be honest it's not a bad supplement and works well with everything.

I'll be running my malal list using Black Legion / Crimson Slaughter as allies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts