Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for good synthetic brushes. Now before we go the " synthetic brushes are rubbish, don't go with them" argument, I want to use synthetics as I don't want to give my money to the barbaric fur trade. If they changed the way they treated animals I'd go back to sable, but I don't think that's gonna happen. So are their any decent synthetic brushes out there?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If you are going to go the route of synthetic for ethical reasons, be wary that you get pure synthetic.

Many of them still have natural hairs in them, but just use synthetic to keep costs down. Those types of brushes need to be labeled synthetic too however, despite partly being natural.

biggest disadvantages are mostly the stiffness of the bristles. Other than that, I don't think you'll find a lot of synthetics that will retain their shape as long as natural brushes.

You can always buy a good quality brush cleaner and restorer to offset this a bit, although they aren't supercheap either. Your local arts and crafts are your best bet, since there's no "top quality" line for synthetic as far as I know.

·
Fantasy Rumors
962 Posts
thanks for replying guys

The Army Painter Hobby series all use synthetic hair. I'm not sure about the Wargamer series.
cheers i might check that out.

If you are going to go the route of synthetic for ethical reasons, be wary that you get pure synthetic.

Many of them still have natural hairs in them, but just use synthetic to keep costs down. Those types of brushes need to be labeled synthetic too however, despite partly being natural.

biggest disadvantages are mostly the stiffness of the bristles. Other than that, I don't think you'll find a lot of synthetics that will retain their shape as long as natural brushes.

You can always buy a good quality brush cleaner and restorer to offset this a bit, although they aren't supercheap either. Your local arts and crafts are your best bet, since there's no "top quality" line for synthetic as far as I know.
Ok thanks the tips. I will lookout for that but is anywhere I can get brush cleaner online?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts