Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've grown more and more intrigued about the 40k universe in general, and having heard very good things about the books, decided to pick one up and give them a try. The problem is, I have no idea of a good "starting point", that being a book which requires only a basic knowledge of the 40k universe (i.e. nothing that cannot be gleaned from 30mins. on the 40k Wiki), and is of good quality. I would really appreciate help on this issue, and am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!​

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Horus heresy is a fantastic starting point and is an ongoin series. HAve a dig around in this forum to find the books to avoid in the HH sereis though ;)

Also the gaunts ghosts series is another easy start off point!

Depends what takes your fancy really? Imperial guard, chaos marines,space marines etc?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Depends on what your interested in reading.

Ultramarines and Blood Angels are good for starting the Space Marines, both are about major chapters and are ideal for beginners.

Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain are good for starting the Imperial Guard, both are long series but with very distinct styles.

Word Bearers is the only full Chaos Space Marine series but its an excellent one and very ideal if you want to start reading about Chaos from their own point of view and not through an Imperial's eyes.

Eisenhorn is a good starter for the Inquisition, its a great series and can be bought in one omnibus volume.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The Gray knight omnibus springs to mind aswell, a good look into a chapter.

Theres a few good single books out with varying looks on the 40k universe like, daemon world, cadian blood, Emperor's mercy to name a few.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Depends on what your interested in reading.

Ultramarines and Blood Angels are good for starting the Space Marines, both are about major chapters and are ideal for beginners.

Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain are good for starting the Imperial Guard, both are long series but with very distinct styles.

Word Bearers is the only full Chaos Space Marine series but its an excellent one and very ideal if you want to start reading about Chaos from their own point of view and not through an Imperial's eyes.

Eisenhorn is a good starter for the Inquisition, its a great series and can be bought in one omnibus volume.
These would be my suggestions, especially Gaunt's Ghosts for an excellent set of military novels and Eisenhorn for a mystery-thriller that offers a detailed glimpse into Imperial life behind the front lines.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I'd go with the horus heresy series to begin if your looking for history

If you want to get a good look at culture in imperial cities eisenhorn and ravenor

If you want a good look at chapters any of the omnibuses such as the ultramarines omnibus or the grey knights one

·
Registered
45 Posts
These would be my suggestions, especially Gaunt's Ghosts for an excellent set of military novels and Eisenhorn for a mystery-thriller that offers a detailed glimpse into Imperial life behind the front lines.
I agree. I started with "The Founding" omnibus, the first of the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I found it to be a great kicking off point. The first three stories contained in the omnibus have a little bit of everything and are relatively quick reads. Plus the third story, Necropolis is pretty awesome. I found that the Gaunt's Ghosts books gave me some great insight into the universe from the common soldiers perspective before diving into space marine books.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I'm going to start with the Horus Heresy books, simply because the seem like a better starting point to me, personally.

Horus heresy is a fantastic starting point and is an ongoin series. HAve a dig around in this forum to find the books to avoid in the HH sereis though ;)
I poked around in the forum a bit, and didn't really see any clear "avoid these books" threads. I'm probably just not looking hard enough though. However, one thing that confuses me that I could use some help with is which book is the starting point of the series. The BL website isn't actually very clear on that matter, and I'm a bit confused.

But again, thanks a lot for the suggestions, and I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I poked around in the forum a bit, and didn't really see any clear "avoid these books" threads. I'm probably just not looking hard enough though. However, one thing that confuses me that I could use some help with is which book is the starting point of the series. The BL website isn't actually very clear on that matter, and I'm a bit confused.

But again, thanks a lot for the suggestions, and I appreciate the help.
Good choice on the Horus Heresy. They can technically be read in any order but if you want them in a clear order then this is it.

Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fulgrim, Descent of Angels, Legion, Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum, Tales of Heresy, Fallen Angels, A Thousand Sons, Nemesis.

With more on the way. Next is The First Heretic :biggrin:.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Its an audio book i think? suppose it can be added to the series.

Still yet to read Nemesis, dam amazon not releasing it till August but selling it on the cheap!

I cant wait for the audio book throne of lies, only audio book at the moment that im looking forward too!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think if we carry on this thread, 90% of the HH books in the past 5years will be on here lol.

All does depend on the perspective you want to start from.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brothers of the Snake is possibly the best book not in a series currently released. Its absolutely amazing. It makes the Space Marines seem more human.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Soul Drinker was my second book to read and I loved it. So I started reading the Soul Drinkers series and they are great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts