Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone still using Iron Warriors after the release of the new Chaos codex?

Here's my updated list which is designed to fight everything and everyone! I had a an old list which did really well against anything it faced. (inc my one and only slaughter of Warpath's Beserkers!)
I am sticking with the old themes from the old codex i.e. Undivided marines only, 1 fast attack, plenty of heavy supports.

Any feedback would be great.

HQ
Daemon Prince
Wings, Doombolt

Elite
5 Chosen Marines
Lascannon
5 Chosen Marines
Lascannon
**These guys are for harassing and annoying enemy vehicles**

Troops
5 Marines
Plasmagun
**Cannon Fodder/Objective seekers**
5 Marines
Plasmagun
**Cannon Fodder/Objective seekers**
10 Marines
Champion, Power Fist, 2 Flamers, Rhino with Dozer Blade

Fast Attack
10 Raptors
Champion, Twin Lightning Claws, 2 Flamers
**Always go hunting with the Daemon Prince, helping to outnumber and scare small units**

Heavy Support
2 Obliterators
2 Obliterators
**Cheesy I know, but it is the Iron warrors after all!**
Predator
Twin-Linked Las, Heavy Bolters, Dozer Blade

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, I am surprised to see the lack of a vindicator amongst your heavies list as they seem to be the bread and butter of the Iron Warriors but I don't think it's a make or break of the list as one can only field so many heavy support units.

Some suggestions:

I'd take something besides Doombolt for your DP. The real strength of a DP is assaulting anything from heavies to troops especially when you put wings on it for mobility. Keeping your DP at range will make an easy target for your enemy. IMO, Warptime would serve much better then Doombolt.

If you want your Chosen squads to harass tanks then I'd suggest placing a few meltas in your squads as well. IMO, one lascannon isn't enough to do the job. Also why not take a termie squad in place of one your chosen squads? More expensive but tougher and diverse in job task (plus don't IW have a thing for termies?).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iron warriors LOVE obliterators, they used to be able to take 3 units. But i'd strongly suggest taking a vindicator with daemonic posession as its a pain in the ass to deal with. 2 2 man obliterator squads is angry, and as for the chosen, as Chadmeister said, for harassing tanks, meltas all the way!

as for the prince, wings and warptime + MoK would be more suited to smashcing face with the rators

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yup, you need a Vindicator. I'd lose one squad of Oblits, round the remaining squad up to three and add a Vindicator. And some more troops.

I do love the DP and Raptor combo it's nasty for sure.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
For your cannon fodder troops I would take Death Guard w/ 2 meltas per squad. Instead of a DP I would take a sorceror with JP so that he can keep with/join your raptors. And as said before... instead of Pred I would go with Vindicator or more Oblits.

Its not a bad army you made though.. heres what I would do if I was fighting you just to give you maybe an idea of weaknesses or strategies to watch for.

First off with a DP w/ wings you do have a big target that says shoot me. He may be tough and harder to kill with his eternalness keeping instant death away he is still a target that can be picked out and fall to a single round of devastator/havoc/broadside fire.

Your 2 5 man squads are pretty pathetic in how much firepower and muscle they bring. Easily overwhelmed and out numbered, or brought below half strength they would not be to much a problem to break and defeat. This is why I recommend turning them into Death Guard.. they would then be fearless and w/ T5 and FNP much harder to drop with simple fire.

Again the Predator is just like the DP.. a very intimidating and juicy target. Replacing them with Oblits gives more FP and then forces them to choose which Oblit squad to shoot. Taking a Vindicator is just more "Iron Warrior" like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers everyone,

As I said I tried to keep the list as close to my original as poss, which had a basilisk and a unit of infiltrating HB havocs :) Oh how my Eldar friend hated me getting first turn!
I also used to use 2x6man troop squads with lascannon & plasmagun and infil so I wanted something similar and opted for the Dark Angels / Blood Angels combat squad theory.

Bishop120 - Death Guard? NO WAY! Give in to rot and pestilence? Not a chance! I've faced those boys before and I hated them. Yes they're tough as hell, but not dedicated to Chaos Glory. Also I love Tzeentch (Read Pawns of Chaos when I first got into the hobby and loved Tzeentch from then on, I also fell in love with the bad boy from Space Wolf! :grin:) So I can't possibly field something from the Nurgle range.

DP will maintain the Chaos Undivided theme, and I only chose Doombolt to take advantage of the DP's improved WS (used to be low!) to kill a couple of models before I hit them in combat and because it's damn cheap!

The Vindicator is a good option, but I don't like the close range as I have to get very close to nasty weapons! good food for thought though! Maybe I'll go shopping after payday.

Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
31 Posts
DP will maintain the Chaos Undivided theme, and I only chose Doombolt to take advantage of the DP's improved WS (used to be low!) to kill a couple of models before I hit them in combat and because it's damn cheap!
You'll find Warptime to be much more effective then the Doombolt/assault combo with your DP. With Warptime you reroll to hit AND damage plus Warptime can be used on any turn including your opponents own assault phase. They just don't compare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree regarding Warp Time. If you are firing Doombolt, that means you are in LOS. Dropping a Demon Prince with shooting is not too difficult.

You have no Icons (Chaos Glory). If you feel confident on passing all your Morale tests, ok. However, an additional threat is those Icons can act as Teleport Homers for Deep Striking units (Raptors, Demon Prince w/ Wings and Obliterators are capable of).

Otherwise, good luck.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
How about sneaking a land raider in there for chosen transport.

Will need a re-jig, maybe drop raptors but will give that Iron Warriors flavour with four heavy support "type" units.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts