Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether people are more impressed by good conversions or good painting?

·
Registered
548 Posts
whilst good conversion work is always impressive [check these out for example].

however, an original and well executed paint scheme can astound, make me fall in love with a model i've always hated, and inspire me with new ideas for my own miniatures...so i'll have to say good painting is the more important. but this, of course, is merely my opinion!

peace out - foible :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My opinion is a good paint job out weighs that of a conversion. pretty much what foible said. It can bring a model I dont like way up in my standings.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Both as they go hand in hand. You do a good conversion and crap paint job ruins the model and vis versa.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Conversions. Anybody with enough time and an extensive paintset can do a decent paint scheme but I think the real skill is in converting. Sometimes I actually prefer to see unpainted minis so I can really see what's what. Although I do agree that a crappy paint job can detract from a really good conversion.

Mind you painting is hard and I for one can't really do it. Both are important, I'm just biased as I much prefer converting myself.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
you could be the greatest converter in the world and still ruin a model with a shit paintjob.
and you could be the worst converter in the world but still make a model shine by painting it.

so I reckon painting is just that much more important.

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I'm looking online the conversion is what I look for - Seeing the Space Hulk set painted in 40 different colors is just boring, and most of the top painters just all have similar styles.

A well converted miniature catches my eye and I'll love it. Same goes for sculpts too.

Painting is just the icing on that cake - you can't make an amazing cake without the body of it, too (the conversion bit).

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
you could be the greatest converter in the world and still ruin a model with a shit paintjob.
and you could be the worst converter in the world but still make a model shine by painting it.

Agreed, good painting >> good conversion.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

I second the total agreement with Stella

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Given that there is a reasonable overlap between the skills of painting and converting (for instance, steady hands, patience, and good visualisation), I am not sure that someone who is brilliant at one will actually produce an awful version of the other.

It is because of this correlation that it is difficult for me to actually tell which impresses me more: I am more impressed by an army where each model has been converted than one where all the models are straight out of the packet; however, an army that has been extensively converted is almost always well painted, so I am actually impressed more by an army that has had twice as much imagination put in as others.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'll freely admit my painting lags way behind my converting - I just flat out prefer converting & sculpting to painting - and my own instinct when I saw the original post was to say that good conversions impressed me the most, since that's what my own bias leans towards. So it may well be that people who instinctively gravitate towards painting themselves find good painting more impressive than good converting, and vice versa; in terms of the finished product, though, it's probably fairest to say both matter equally to an objective eye.

This kind of reminds me of the old 'technique vs. feel' argument that always crops up among us guitar players. People try to say one matters more than the other when in the end both are equally important - there's no point having all the technique in the world if you have nothing to say with it, but equally it's futile having something to say if you haven't got the technical ability to do so. You may prefer highly-technical players over low-tech 'feel players' - or the other way around - but both aspects of musicianship matter equally in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Thinking about this some more, another problem is the way we perceive the two if different: the perfect conversion or sculpt looks exactly as if the model was always that way, whereas a paint job is obviously a change to how the model was; therefore - unless you know all the models in one range or take time to compare - the best conversion will be invisible in a way that the best paint job never is.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I tend to believe that the vast majority of conversions are actually relatively easy to do. The Death Guard raptors posted earlier are very nice to look at, but - please don't take offense - most people in the hobby a few years could produce similar work in a few hours. Conversions do take imagination, and I'm not going to play down the amount of skill that goes into sculpting, but Stella is spot on. You see models on e.g. CoolMiniOrNot, which are dated, and may be laughable compared to current models, yet look just unreal thanks to the paintjob.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Going to chime in here on the side of painting. You can only go so far with a steller conversion and a simple paint job. You can make something look good this way, but it isn't all the way there.

However, a steller paintjob and simple conversion can look mighty impressive.

And the fact is you can have a terrific looking force without a single conversion in it. However, it is really hard to pull off a great looking force without some good painting.

Thinking about this some more, another problem is the way we perceive the two if different: the perfect conversion or sculpt looks exactly as if the model was always that way, whereas a paint job is obviously a change to how the model was; therefore - unless you know all the models in one range or take time to compare - the best conversion will be invisible in a way that the best paint job never is.
Interesting point, and well said.

I do have one other point, since we're talking about "impressiveness." I think that when a person is painting at lower skill levels, it is really hard to get a "wow." I mean, we all look at the studio paintjobs, we all have access to Coolminiornot and everyone here sees some pretty nice things on this forum. Getting a "wow" locally can be tough.

However, at the lower skill levels, it still isn't too hard to put a mini together in an interesting and creative ways- even if you're execution isn't top notch- you can get that "wow, that's cool."

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
However, at the lower skill levels, it still isn't too hard to put a mini together in an interesting and creative ways- even if you're execution isn't top notch- you can get that "wow, that's cool."
I agree with this. I tend to get more wows for my unpainted conversions than my painted ones, and this is probably the same with many others on this forum.

A great paint job is much more impressive than a brilliant conversion, although it is normal to see both of these together when looking at the top of the class.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
a good conversion can be ruined by a bad paint job

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I totally agree with Odin. When i put together my TL heavy flamer for my razorback, I got a lot of rep and kind comments - a fair bit more than on some of my better paintjobs.

It takes a long time (for most people) to become a truly amazing painter, but an original idea brought to life in a conversion really gets peoples attention.

I think painting and converting can be equally impressive, but it's easier to pull off an impressive conversion than an impressive paintjob. Then at the other end of the spectrum, i see a lot more world class paint jobs than world class conversions.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I agree with Dave T Hobbit, a good conversion is just a way to make your army personal, the painting is what makes it stand out.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Totally agree here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts