Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading a whole bunch of 40k fluff I have a question that I can't seem to get answered anywhere: When humanity was at its Golden Age, being all advanced, did they never once run into the Eldar? Who if I remember correctly were also in their own Golden Age.

Did they have any wars? Or were they trading partners? Or did they just run around the Galaxy oblivious of each other?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Humanity met with loads of Xenos races during the Golden Age/Dark Age of Technology and made pacts and treaties with many of them. These Xenos traded with, and lived side-by-side with, Humans for a hell of a long time. But, when the warp storms of Old Night started to isolate the various Human colonies, their Xenos neighbours, in many places, turned on them and killed or enslaved them.
Fast forward to the Great Crusade. The Emperor was there when an ailing Humanity was savaged by supposed allies and is now determined that Humans will never be in that situation ever again. So, a Xenocidal policy is adopted that continues to the 'present' ; a side-effect of this is to use fear of the 'other' to bring Humanity closer together.

GFP

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But is there no mention to the Eldar specifically? I cant see the Eldar getting along well with humans.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think that its probably because the Eldar being weakened by the birth of Slaanesh were probably trying to stay away from an overgrowing race like humans. It probably wouldn't be smart if a dwindling race got in the way of an ever growing race like the Imperium's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the fall of the Golden Age was attributed to the birth of Slaanesh, so at the peak of humanity the Eldar should have been in their peak too, no?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
But is there no mention to the Eldar specifically? I cant see the Eldar getting along well with humans.
No, there is no mention of the Eldar specifically. But considering human federations and empires dotted the galaxy (as seen by the locations of human colonies rediscovered during the Great Crusade), and that the Eldar Empire was the galaxy's foremost power, its almost certain that they made contact.

The CV makes reference to alien wars being fought during the Dark Age of Technology, but also non-aggression pacts signed with many races, I would assume that humanity and Eldar for the most part held a non-aggression pact. They at least seemed passive in the face of human efforts to colonise the galaxy, many colonised worlds (for example Caliban) were even very close to the heartland of the Eldar Empire.

I think that its probably because the Eldar being weakened by the birth of Slaanesh were probably trying to stay away from an overgrowing race like humans. It probably wouldn't be smart if a dwindling race got in the way of an ever growing race like the Imperium's.
Slaanesh hadn't been born during humanity's Dark Age of Technology, in fact not until thousands of years later. During the Dark Age of Technology the Eldar Empire was still the most dominant and powerful civilisation in the galaxy. And for the record, the Imperium also didn't exist back then either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So even in humanities peak it was still nothing to the Eldar empire? Feels bad man.

Thanks for answering the question.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Fast forward to the Great Crusade. The Emperor was there when an ailing Humanity was savaged by supposed allies and is now determined that Humans will never be in that situation ever again. So, a Xenocidal policy is adopted that continues to the 'present' ; a side-effect of this is to use fear of the 'other' to bring Humanity closer together.
I thought the Emperor only wiped out the xeno races that refused to go along with his 'truth' in an effort to cut off the chaos gods and wipe them out? The Imperium and Eldar did meet several times during the great crusade and many of those meetings were supposedly not hostile one's.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agreed, there is a good example where Fulgrim meets with the Eldar as they want to try and save humanity from its civil war but discover that Fulgrim has already been corrupted by the chaos blade that he takes from the Laer temple.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I thought the Emperor only wiped out the xeno races that refused to go along with his 'truth' in an effort to cut off the chaos gods and wipe them out? The Imperium and Eldar did meet several times during the great crusade and many of those meetings were supposedly not hostile one's.
But those meetings were entirely unorthodox and would have been condemned by the upper echelons of the Imperium, especially by the Emperor himself. But obviously such occassions did occur, albeit rarely.

The Emperor ultimately claimed that all xenos should be wiped out to safely pave the way for total human dominance.

as they want to try and save humanity from its civil war
Eldrad, and indeed the Eldar race as a whole had no interest in saving or preserving the human race. The reason Eldrad made contact with Fulgrim and the III Legion was in an attempt to prevent the ascendancy of Chaos.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
What happened to Humanity as their first empire crumbled really seems to have scarred the Emperor. He watched on as those he had seen call themselves friends and allies had turned upon the now-weakened Humans, to pillage and kill and take whatever could be wrested from worlds that were now utterly alone in the darkness. And it wasn't just an isolated incident; by all of my reading between lines, it seems that almost every Xenos race that Humanity had made peace with turned on them.
The possibility has just occurred to me, however, that around about this time the rise in the number of Human psykers occurred didn't it? IF so, then maybe the attacks on Humanity were a pre-emptive strike by the Cabal, or even the Eldar, to weaken Humanity for all time so as to head-off the events of the Heresy, and so save the future of the galaxy from chaos. Whoops- Monodominance!

GFP

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always thought that as Earth was entering the golden age the Eldar were becoming more insular, their science having reach such a level of perfection that they were simply giving up trade, interaction, and just lazing around bumming each other (if you excuse my french)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Whilst the Eldar might have been on their path to ruin during the Golden/Dark Age, they still controlled huge numbers of planets. I would imagine they would be none too happy about the smelly, uncouth Mon'keigh sniffing around Eldar worlds and would be happy to show them just how stupid they are to presume to contact their superiors. If that was the case,though, then there would certainly be exceptions, with a few Eldar worlds being more happy to interact. So it could be that there was some minor interaction between the two races but nothing more.
However, there does remain the possibility that the two races didn't actually meet up all that much; the galaxy is a huge place and a race colonising even millions of worlds still wouldn't make it densley populated, just widely spread. Especially if the Human settlers are happy to Terra-form worlds and settle in environment-controlled cities, then they don't need to bother looking for habitable worlds like Earth or Eldar-habitable worlds, just those with about the same gravity, not too dangerous, and with useful geology.

GFP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts