Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into Warhammer 40k for a few years now and I have around 3000 points of Blood Angels. Recently I bought a Vanguard Assault Squad and it is all metal. I used some superglue that I had and because I don't have any way to hold a superglued item in place for awhile I decided to use something called accelerator.

They fall apart like crazy! I can't get them to stay together long enough to actually use them in a game or paint them. I have used accelerator on many other miniatures and things with superglue and it has worked fine.

I guess the question that I am getting to here is what am I doing wrong that is making these mini's fall apart so easily?

I also have a 3rd edition Baal Pred and one of it's side sponsons fell apart and I used the same thing on it.

Please help! I'm a player in need of good modeling advice!

Thanks to anyone that can help...

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of the time accelerators will make the glue dry faster, but letting the glue settle itself is much better.

What happens is the accelerator freezes the liquid in the glue while letting air dry or using a fan evaporates the liquid component in the glue, just leaving the adhesive to hold the model together.

Also, what I have found (because I paint my models then glue them together) for some odd reason, a painted metal surface adheres stronger/faster to another painted surface, at least in my experience, no idea why, thats just how its worked.

Hope this answered it, Good luck on the minis.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! and ya I have never had any problems with my models until now. They have always worked completely fine. Does super glue lose its potency as it gets older? and I will try the fan idea (haha don't know why I never thought about it but it should work)... Thanks guys and hopefully this works. I might try that water idea as well.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If it's taking too long for the super glue to grab, it's either old superglue (yes, it does lose potency over time) or you are using too much ('If a little works this well, twice as much works twice as fast does' not apply to this glue).

superglue also will not glue to itself. If you have ANY leftover residue on a previously glued surface, get rid of it, it will stop the glue bonding by making the air gap larger (superglue NEEDS intimate contact between surfaces. The closer the better.)
Roughening up both surfaces (increases surface area) with some sandpaper first also works.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
also, if its a new model, give the parts a wash first first to remove any grease from fingers and any left over mold release.
just make sure all contact areas are clean, and if you still have trouble, then pin the parts, paperclips make good pins for most modles

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! and ya I think I was using some old superglue... I think I have it figured out now... Thanks

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
also depends on wht brand the super glue is, if its GW super glue you'll be better off pissing on your model, its actually stonger.
QFT the GW glue may aswell be water

Any metal mini thats going to be used for gaming really should be pinned, if it was for display you might get away with it, but if your gonna touch it to move or store then buy a pin vice and drill bit and learn to pin your models.
It takes a bit longer and can be a pain in the ass but it works and it lasts.
i think that depends on the model, i think anything bigger than a marine i would agree with, i think i have 4 pins in each of my oblits because they are such a horrible model to put togther.

·
Registered
466 Posts
a really cheap tacky way i found and even allows me to use gw super glue is to tear a small corner of newspaper and putting this between the areas u wish to stick might be cos of the bit of abration but its worked for most of my nobz and warboss

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
In the end, if you want metal minis to stay together you have to pin them; I have a basic pinning tutorial here. I shied away from pinning for ages but now I'm maniacal about it, I even pin plastics now sometimes - as in the claws on this Obliterator's power claw:

Each one is individually pinned on into the block of white plastic behind them, which is itself pinned to the arm. It's a bit fiddly, but it means they're really solidly attached so you don't constantly have to be nervous about handling it. I figure a few extra minutes' work while assembling is a small price to pay for long-term robustness and piece of mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts