Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So I'm getting ready to paint my Chaos Dwarf army and I had a few preliminary questions before I got into it.

I'm sure you're all familiar with Blue Table Gaming. They basically paint armies and sell them for insane prices... Aside from that; the gentleman that runs the show put together a quite literally breathtaking CD army that's probably one of the best paint jobs I've ever seen. The best thing about it is that it doesn't actually look that hard to do.

Video is located here and I'm also attaching a pic:

Questions:

1. How do I get that glowing hot iron effect that he has on the tips of the weapons and armor/runes.

2. How can I get that smoky black color on the armor as is shown in the video

I've posted this on a few other forums already and while the tips have been great, I haven't really been able to get a confident answer out of anyone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Preferably in the format of what paints(strawberry arsehole red, empire suspenders yellow), how to apply them(layer, wash, drybrush, vomit them on) and in what order.Thanks so much!

- Novos

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
The glowing effect is OSL: basically you paint the actual glowing areas with a strong hue (e.g. yellow) then glaze all the areas the light from that area would hit, building up more glaze on the areas closer to the source of light.

For glowing metal, you want to start with graduations from almost white for the hottest areas to dull red. Then glaze the light spill with the the hue of the brightest source that casts on that area.

The black areas look like they might be several layers of very light drybrushing with a dark grey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The glowing effect is OSL: basically you paint the actual glowing areas with a strong hue (e.g. yellow) then glaze all the areas the light from that area would hit, building up more glaze on the areas closer to the source of light.

For glowing metal, you want to start with graduations from almost white for the hottest areas to dull red. Then glaze the light spill with the the hue of the brightest source that casts on that area.

The black areas look like they might be several layers of very light drybrushing with a dark grey.
@Dave T Hobbit

Hi and thanks for the reply!!!!

Sorry for the late response, warm weather is just around the corner and things are stirring up at work again.

Thats great advice!

Would you be able to give a simple step by step sequence on the order of operations?

Im not so much a beginner with painting, but moreso with advanced techniques like highlighting.

The black areas I think I could do :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Looking very briefly at those models' shields, it looks like he's simply done a very light and pale yellow for the actual glowing bits and then an orangey-brown/bronze around it with an air-brush.

For the rest, it looks like a little more detail has been put in with four or five colours going from a light reddish-brown up through orange and yellow to the hot white.

The armour looks like it's black drybrushed with shadow grey or maybe lightly dusted from above with an airbrush and then some bronze has been added to some of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Ninjurai

Great site! Thanks a bunch I'm gonna check out a few of those tutorials.

@Silens

That's great advice! Thank you so much for the color breakdown. The armor also looks like it has some brown mixed in at times to give the heating furnace look.

Thanks a bunch to everyone I'm going to experiment on some black orcs (how appropriate!) until I master the colors and techniques.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts