Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought the Beastmen Army Book the other day. Had never read it and is always good to know all the armies as well as possible. Came up with this as an indirect result:

Beastlord: Slugskin, Gnarled Hide, Brass Cleaver, Ramhorn Helm, Razorgor Chariot

Slugtongue

BSB: Wargor w/ Armour of Desiny, GW, HA, Razorgor Chariot
313 yeah, that puts me 3 points over my heroes allowance, but this is hardly going to go to tournament!

33 Gor w/ FC and shields

4x Tuskgor Chariot

2 x 5 Scouting Harpies

4 Razorgor

Razorgor Chariot

c. 2000

My main concern is that I don't have Stone of Spite or ChaliceoDR, which would both be uber-useful. Could drop Slugtongue for a L2 of Beasts w/ Chalice, and swap helm for shield and Stone on Beastlord.

C&C?

Clearly it will never be competetive, but would be interested in how much it could be improved.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Dont know how many points this list is for, so im not sure if your even made minimum core.

Harpies are a terrible idea. I know scouting looks good at first. But terrible terrible unit.

ADHW on the Gors, Always. I would give the beastlord the hunters spear, so you can mess the dangerous stuff up on route. That one unit of gors is a bad bad bad idea, I would say if anything, take a centigor unit with Ghorros warhoof, he is better than a wargor, doesnt take up and hero points, and makes Centigors core. And take Centigors instead. (See my centigor list for this idea) http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72499

I wouldnt even call this a glass hammer, I would call it target practice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh well... :Embarassed Smilie:

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
no no no, Rubie! Dont give up yet, I didnt mean to sound to harsh on you, Just as is there is a lot to be improved

EDIT: Dont take this the wrong way Rubie, but you seem to have tried a LOT of differant armies and ideas over the last month or so, but none for very long. Maybe you just need to stick with one a little longer, and see what works best before you hop off the boat. And go to play a differant army.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ LSK: Thanks. Most of the army-lists I post here for c&c are intellectual excercises. I am trying to collect a WoC army based on the 2k list I have posted recently. It's slow going at the moment because money is tight, so I am keeping my mind busy, as I get bored and frustrated easy. I am more than likely going to spend a little on a 1k HE army just so I have something to play in the meantime.

However, I'm not just wasting time with all these proposals; it is very beneficial for someone with little experience like me (6 months) to get a flavour of other armies, and I always log ideas away for future use. A lot of principles translate across armies. And also whenever I do decide to change armies, I will have a much better idea of which army will suit my preffered new angle.

After WoC I am almost certainly going to go beastmen, as I bought the book for that reason. But I will probably get my HE up to 2k first. Then I will have two elite armies (1 ranged, 1 CC), so a bigger model count army will prob be up my street by then (although I have written 3 VC lists that I don't think I've posted on here that seem fun). I initially wanted to focus heavily on the ambush and glass hammer flavour of the army, but it appears that is not as feasible as I had hoped.

Wargaming is as much an intellectual excercise as a game for me. I'm not ultra-competetive; I just like doing things well. I find more satisfaction in playing a shit army well and losing than using an overpowered army. (ironic since I am collecting WoC and potentially HE) That said, I wouldn't want my army to be shit just because I didn't compose it properly - hence why I am on here all the time looking for feedback on selection and balance.

Just waffling now, because it's late, but my point really is, just because I seem to be flitting around noncommitally doesn't mean I'm taking up those armies RIGHT NOW.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Understood, I hope you didnt take what I was saying the wrong way, I didnt mean to be offensive.

But I would like for you to continue this idea, I think it could be made quite feasible, and as always I am always here to help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heavily revised list:

Doombull: Slugskin, Gnarled Hide, Uncanny Senses, Brass Cleaver, Ramhorn Helm, HA, Sh

Slugtongue

Bray Shaman: L2, CoDR

Wargor: BSB, Armour of Destiny, Shield

30 Gors w/ AHW and FC

40 Ungors w/ M+SB

2 x 6 Ungor Raiders

Tuskgor Chariot

Razorgor Chariot

5 Centigors w/ Throwing Axes

2 Razorgor

5 Harpies w/ scout

5 Harpies

Sorry about the harpies - they just seem so useful on paper.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Now that is a LOT better, I like the doombull (But anyone who has seen my recent lists knows that :p ) I would personally swap slug-skin for many armed fiend, I just like the extra str 6 attack. What Lore will your shaman be taking? Since he is a level 2, I would say beasts, if only for Wyssan's wildform.

Will one of your units of Raiders be ambushing? I would, since 6 of them should be more than adequate to kill war machine crews.

The harpies im still meh about, but see how they work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah one unit of raiders to ambush, one to screen/ harry. Don't need them to flank as I have enough stuff to do that.

Defo Beasts, and Death on Slugtongue most likely, though I will consider Beasts again in some battles. 2A S5 T6 anyone? For some reason I just have a thing about the lore of Beasts. I wrote a VC list around it, and WE. Was one of the things that led me to Beastmen if I'm honest.

Toss up between Slugskin and MAF - depends on the enemy - Skaven: Slugskin; WoC: MAF etc.

Centigors are versatile - against Empire/ Dwarfs etc they can go WM hunting with the harpies and ambushing Ungor, they can also flank charge if needed, or just throw axes and harry.

I've still got 2 chariots and 2 Razorgor to smash stuff, but am sad that I couldn't keep the whole army fast. But I have my Doombull for Impact hits.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the distribution of my characters.

TBH, I struggle to write a list Iam really happy with at 2000 for any army. Folks here used to play 2500 more often than 2000 in 7th, but for some reason it's all 2k now. I just don't seem to be able to round out an army the way I want with redundancy etc and options. the extra 500 points makes a HUGE difference. Maybe it is just my inexperience and lack of guile.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only thing I'd swap those Harpies for is a Razorgor Chariot. :wink:

Nah, in all seriousness 5 more Centigors might be a viable alternative, but think that would come down to playtesting, which I can't do!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks mate.

I only just got the hang of 7th when 8th came out. Played maybe 3 games - with guidance - but had watched quite a few. Now it is all change! No Dragon Princes, no Chaos Knights, no Cold One Saurus seen anymore. Just want to get my WoC done and get practicing. Or rather get my HE army and get practicing, as it will be months until I finish my WoC.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel, I had stopped playing for about a year, got back into it, re-learned everything I had forgotten, then a month later 8th comes out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts