Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night i was playing my wood elves, and the store manager, (at a games-workshop) said you don't count range for stand and shoot, so your not minus for long range. But what about my strength 4 at short range?

my thinking is that they are strength 4 if they're within 15 inches for sure, but wouldn't the tricksy wood elves wait until the enemy is within 15 to shoot? i don't know, and your thoughts would be most appreciated.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Even though its in the "spirit" of the wood elves, I would say no. BUT if the unit had charged from within 15" inches, I would say sure, why not.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i think the rules cover this not 100% freind has my book 4 a tourny but i'm sure it says you wait untill the enemy come into short range before firing and if that is the case you would be sure when i have it tomorrow i will confirm this for you

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
BRB P17 - You'll shoot as normal if you can, or if the target is outside of normal range, you'll shoot as though the target was "just inside of maximum range". So, yeah, you can't wait for them to be inside of half distance for the awesome Str.4 shot, sadly.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's what i've been doing, counting it if they are in short range, and since they're charging they probably are. thanks for helping me out.

do you count long range in stand and shoot? I was told by the same manager above no you don't count long range, but it makes it sound like you do.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Now that I have actually re-read the rule in question I have to say that the others are right. The shooting is worked out as if the unit was at the maximum range of the shortest ranged weapon. I.e Longbows. So no str 4, I dont think its a intelligent way to do it, seeing as how some weapons have certain abilities, most prevalent your glade guard longbows. Unless it has been clarified in the wood elf faq, then no str S&S

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
As Maddermax quoted it, the rules seem to say that beyond half your normal range you won't get the strength 4 shots, as though shots are fired from the charging units initial position.

The good news is charges exceeding 15" are rare enough. They happen, but not too often.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Stand and Shoot is a normal round of shooting as stated on BRB pg. 17, so long range penalties, etc. apply to the shots. If the unit is within half range, you would get your S4 longbow shots.

If the charging unit is out of range, the shooting attack is done at the maximum range of the shortest range weapon.

So in this highly hypothetical situation, say your glade guard were joined by a character wielding a pistol. A unit that charges from 18" away (within the long range of the longbows, but not within range of the pistol) would have ALL the Stand and Shoot shots worked out as if they were 12" away (the max range of the pistol), and so the longbow shots would be at S4 and at short range.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Stand and Shoot is a normal round of shooting as stated on BRB pg. 17, so long range penalties, etc. apply to the shots. If the unit is within half range, you would get your S4 longbow shots.

If the charging unit is out of range, the shooting attack is done at the maximum range of the shortest range weapon.

So in this highly hypothetical situation, say your glade guard were joined by a character wielding a pistol. A unit that charges from 18" away (within the long range of the longbows, but not within range of the pistol) would have ALL the Stand and Shoot shots worked out as if they were 12" away (the max range of the pistol), and so the longbow shots would be at S4 and at short range.
Yes, just like last edition, having a pistol or other short ranged weapon will mean that all shots are worked out at that distance. This means that a thunderer champion with pistol is still a great investment, as the whole unit will S&S at 12", even if being charged from further away.

So, it's like this when making a stand and shoot:

1) If the Charging unit is within their normal M of your unit, you can't make a S&S.

2) If the target unit is in firing range of all weapons in the unit, work out the shooting just like a normal round of shooting (with -1 to hit of course). All normal bonuses/penalties apply.

3) If there is any weapon in the unit that is out of range, treat the distance to the unit as if it were in range of the shortest ranged weapon. So if a pistol is in the unit being charged from outside it's range, you would treat the shot as being at Pistol range. Besides changing the assumed range to the target, all other factors remain the same as normal shooting (with the -1 to hit of course).

Hope that helps :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts