Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im prepping to build my GK Army. And I have a silly question.
Can someone give me a list of the paints needed to paint them to standard?
I do also plan on base coating, using washes etc. If someone could give me a list and some mixes I would be eternally greatful. I want to get all the paints etc before I begin, so I can sit back and enjoy the painting ithout running amok looking for a specific color.

I plan on using citadel paints.

Help a brother out :laugh::victory:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you can just go to your local store and buy considering that you'll need:
- metal for the armor
- red for some details
- gold for weapons and some details
- brown and bleached bone for "paper" stuff
- blue ink, optional
- blue for energy weapon and eyes
- of course, black and white for everything
- brown, grey and green for base

The number of colors you need changes a lot according to your skills and how you paint, for example, paint this one:

differs a lot from paint this one:

Also, someone uses very few colors and just add black/white, so maybe you just need TEN colors and this tutorial: http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/painting-grey-knight-terminator/

Hope it helps, good luck!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If you're painting a single mini then the first example that 1ale4 gives is the one to go for.

Painting an army however requires a different approach you have to balance the time spent on each mini.

Speed is all important to me and I am not a very good painter so I use a "base coat" of Tamiya Spray "Silver Leaf". I'd think the GW three stage silvers would work pretty well tho'.
I then wash that with Nuln Oil and wipe and excess off so it only goes in the crevices.
I then use the 3 stage Gold technique of Balthasar - Genennas - Auric Armour.
After that I do the details using a whole stack of different techniques.

Here's some examples. They are far from the best but they do fit the bill of a quick "fighting" paint job.

I spend a bit more time on my Special Characters though

Inquisitor Coteaz

Chaplain Durendin (counts as Justicar Anval Thrawn)

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tips! im deffinatly going to be researching. I dont have a airbrush etc, so im going to rattle can the base coat and paint by brush. I wont be rushing the painting as Im going to use the focus and detailing as therepy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts