Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend and I are debating the "Force" rule.

5 Gk terminators successfully cause 3 unsaved wounds on a 3 man squad of Necron wraiths.

A) can you assign all three wounds to one wraith basicly nullify my force wrappings l weapons add only one wraith dies.

B) do you assign the first wound if save failed ID applies then next wound to next wraith and if it fails to save ID again and on to the next one. Essentially being possible to wipe 3 Necron Wraiths v with the wounds.

My takes is: you assign wound 1 if save passed assign another rinse wash repeat, however if wound 1 is not saved and instant death applies next wound would go to the next closest wraith.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
You allocate wounds one at a time - in this instance, the first wraith was allocated a wound, from which it died because it was a Force Weapon. It is therefore ineligible to be the target of the next wound in the pool - it's already dead! Therefore, 3 unsaved Force Weapon wounds will kill 3 Wraiths, yes.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
You have to continue allocating wounds to a model once you start allocating wounds to a model... as long as that model remains alive. With Force active, that model (a Wraith, so no Eternal Warrior under any conceivable circumstances) would no longer be alive after the first unsaved wound--that's the whole point of Force.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The fun comes with thing with 3 wounds and stuff. If 1 previously lost a wound then gets hit with ID. Do you take the wounded one off or as it is ID so could kill one outright, do you take off one that still has 3 left.

The answer as far as i remember is that you take off the weak one first.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The answer as far as i remember is that you take off the weak one first.
At the start of allocating wounds for the initiative step, the player who owns the models taking wounds chooses one of the closest minis (in combat, any in base contact are generally first) (Rulebook, pg 51). That means in the shooting phase, Overwatch, or in a previous assault phase, you might have chosen a different mini. It also means you can choose a badly wounded model if the attacks are causing ID, or an unharmed mini if the wounds don't cause ID, as your heart desires. Once you allocate a wound to a model in that initiative step, you must continue allocating wounds to it until either a) the model is removed as a casualty or the wounds pool is emptied (pg 52).

Note that, yes, your opponent must then continue allocating wounds for that wounds pool until they are all resolved, then move on to the next wounds pool (different pools for power axes and power fists, since they rolled to wound separately, for instance)... but that the specification for having to continue allocating wounds to a mini is that you have to continue as long as the wounds pool hasn't been exhausted: therefore you can choose a different target for the power fist hits than the power axe hits. And you can similarly choose a new target if your opponent is attacking at multiple initiative steps.

I tell you, the potential for wound allocation shenanigans in this regard... is underused. Bear in mind that your opponent has to make a different wounds pool for every strength of attack (or even "special rules that affect saving throws or the effect of any wounds they inflict*" [pg 51]), regardless of whether or not it affects your save differently, thanks to the fact that they're rolling to wound separately on those.

Ugh, too much hair-splitting. Even if I should be taking better advantage of all of this on my 20 Flesh Hound blob squad...

* like Rending, ID on 6s (or just plain ID)... I don't think Poisoned is counted in that wording, since "wounds they inflict" isn't "their rolls to wound"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts