Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this list back a while, but with the new GK lists... I would like some advise. I have a bunch of Rubrics and such laying around, and honestly I miss my Thousand Sons, but the CSM rules just fail for them. So with the new release of the Nemesis Strike Force, I decided I might be able to 'breathe some life' into my Thousand Sons... this is my first draft and feels decent, but I feel like it has the potential for more. Looking at this from both competitive and fluffy sides; I'd rather stick to the feeling of anti-demon, pro-sorcery pre-Heresy ideals, rather than hurling around demons. Hence... Imperium forces.

Nemesis Strike Force:

Librarian - 160
Domina Liber Demonica, Warding Stave, ML 3

Terminator Squad - 195
x5 Halberd, Psycannon

Dreadnought - 145
x2 TLAC

Dreadnought - 145
x2 TLAC

Dreadknight - 205
Heavy Psycannon, Teleporter, Greatsword

Inquisitorial Detachment:

OM Inquisitor - 87
Power Armor, ML 1 (Divination), Force Sword, Hellrifle, Servo Skulls x3

OM Inquisitor - 87
Power Armor, ML 1 (Divination), Force Sword, Hellrifle, Servo Skulls x3

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad - 90
Psyker x9

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad - 90
Psyker x9

Legion of the Damned:

Legion of the Damned Squad - 265
8+1, Missile Launcher w/ Flakk, Sgt w/ BP & Power Sword

Army Total: 1999

So, why did I do what I did in this list?

GKTs: The Psycannon was the closest I could get to a Reaper Autocannon, something the Sons preferred over 'newer' assault cannons. Each model got a Halberd because they reminded me of the Khopesh Staves (Hepa? heqa?) that each used in the Sekhmet 1st company. The Librarian gets the Ward Stave as a traditional sorcerer's tool.

Legion of the Damned: Harking back to the 3rd edition days of 9 being the sacred number, Thousand Sons have ALWAYS been sold in that squad size. LotD let me have a heavy weapon, and with no air support, I figured missile launchers. Plasma's probably more interesting, what with a 3++ against Get's Hot! and ignores cover, though. The Sergeants have power swords because the Aspiring Sorcerers were modeled carrying force swords. I could find some points by just calling them combat blades, I suppose. If I could find enough points (downgrading to plasma cannons, dropping the power weapons, stripping the inquisitors), I could probably add a 10th to each squad, and get another special weapon.

Inquisitors: They became point sinks. Hellrifles aren't bad guns, and with power armor, these guys remind me of someone like Luthor in the DA, or Kor Phaeron in the Word Bearers; they couldn't be augmented to Astartes, but they have a place of armor. In this case, leading the Psyker covens.

Another crazy option would be to get rid of the Dreadknight, both Dreadnoughts, and some of the wasted points in the inquistors, and get a Questoris Mageara... mostly because I love the model, and the Sons had the power to animate war machines.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading a few other comments in other threads, I couldn't help but create a (I feel) amazing Thousand Sons list, Pre-Heresy style. I lose the awesomeness of Legion of the Damned Rubrics, but pick up the psychich-amazingness of a pre-heresy, everything-melts-your-face psychic strike force.

GK Librarian
Level 3, Domina Liber, Storm Bolter, Ward Stave (or Hammer, no bolter)

GK Terminators
6+1, Justi w/ Falchions, 6 Halberds, Psycannon. (I prefer Halberds for 1k Sons because the fluff had them with their curved staves. very egyptian glaive style).

GK Purifiers
9+1, 4 Psycannons, 6 swords

GK Purifiers
9+1, 4 Psycannons, 6 swords

(Both squads of Purifiers get Squaded, and each Combat Squad gets one of the Rune Priests below.)

OM Inquisitor
Level 1, Carapace, BP/CCW, +3 Servo Skulls

OM Inquisitor
Level 1, Carapace, BP/CCW, +3 Servo Skulls

Inq Psykers x9

Inq Psykers x9

Rune Priest
Level 2, Rune Sword, Power Armor

Rune Priest

Rune Priest

Rune Priest

(sword's personal preference because it matches the model of a 1k Son Aspiring Sorcerer).

SW Dreadnought
x2 TLAC

SW Dreadnought
x2 TLAC

Aegis + Comms

2000 pts

The list generates 23+d6 warp charge per turn. One Dreadnought mans the Comms, and brings everything else down turn 1 on a 2+. Biggest weakness I can see comes from depending on going first; there's just not enough to survive a concentrated beating on turn 1 unless I hide everywhere. I could also find some points for Hammers and melta bombs and such by downgrading some Psycannons to Incinerators, but I keep remembering that the Sons believed the Reaper autocannon was a perfect weapon, with the way the name spelled out, and such.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.