Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, as I said in the introduction thread I'm going to start again playing WH40K.

I really need any advice about composing a "good" list, in order to bring asap my GK to the local shop tournament, and that's why I choose the weird 1600 pts format.

QG

Coteaz - 100

Troops

10 x GKSS - 240
2 psycannons
psybolt ammo

10 x GKSS - 240
2 psycannons
psybolt ammo

5 x Henchmen - 75
1 crusaders with power axe
4 DCA with power sword and power axe

5 x Henchmen - 40
3 acolytes with bolters
2 acolytes with meltaguns

Transport: Razorback - 50
psybolts

6 x Henchmen - 44
4 acolytes with bolters

psybolts

Fast Attack

Storm Raven Gunship - 255
MM, TLAC, Hurricane Bolters

Heavy Support

Nemesis DreadKnight - 235
HI and PT

Dreadnought - 135
autocannons, psybolt ammo

Dreadnought - 135
autocannons, psybolt ammo

Total: 1599 pts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Your list is pretty good, although I'm not a fan of single flyers. However, the only ways I've found to bring redundant flyers in GK is to either to all-in on a dual Stormraven list, or to bring allies (either Guard or Necrons), so if you want to play pure ground based GK, your list is fine.

In fact, this is pretty much exactly what I'd run (although i might tweak the Warrior Acolyte squads, try to give them the third special weapon- but I'm not sure what I'd drop).

Oh- buy a searchlight for one of your Razorbacks to use up the last point on your list.

EDIT: Actually, you could really use some blasts- consider dropping one unit of Warrior Acolytes to get a unit of Henchman Psykers- 60pts gets you a S8 AP1 assault large blast that can fit in a Razorback.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You've certainly got a "good" list there mate, well rounded and covers pretty much all the bases.

Only thing I would do is drop the DCA for more shooters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your list is pretty good
You've certainly got a "good" list there mate, well rounded and covers pretty much all the bases.
Thanks a lot, to be honest it's me the one who has to thank you, because this list came out following all the suggestions you give to other players!

I'm happy that I just need little tweaks, anyway now I'm at work, so I'll change it this evening and maybe we can discuss a little more to put out a "final" list.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
However, the only ways I've found to bring redundant flyers in GK is to either to all-in on a dual Stormraven list, or to bring allies (either Guard or Necrons), so if you want to play pure ground based GK, your list is fine.
I'd prefer not to take allies. Don't you find quite expensive a second Stormraven at 1600 pts? I really don't know what could I drop for it...

EDIT: Actually, you could really use some blasts- consider dropping one unit of Warrior Acolytes to get a unit of Henchman Psykers- 60pts gets you a S8 AP1 assault large blast that can fit in a Razorback.
Only thing I would do is drop the DCA for more shooters.
I've thought at the DCA as a "hit-and-die" unit in the Stormraven which can save me from unexpected enemies, do you think that they don't worth the points?

I can drop them (within the others henchmen) and take two units of 6 x Henchmen (3 acolytes with bolters, 3 acolytes with meltaguns/plasmaguns/2 melta + 1 plasma) in a Razorback with psybolts ammo and searchlight (2 x 105).

This leaves me with 50 pts to spare, maybe 5 Psykers or 5 Acolytes with 3 meltaguns in the Stormraven?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd prefer not to take allies. Don't you find quite expensive a second Stormraven at 1600 pts? I really don't know what could I drop for it...
If you take another Raven, then you'd have to rebuild your list- Double Raven is an "All-in" rock strategy, that is pretty much completely different from the more balanced approach you've taken here. A single Raven is OK, if you don't want allies, but should you look to take allies, then another plane is pretty much at the top of the list.

I've thought at the DCA as a "hit-and-die" unit in the Stormraven which can save me from unexpected enemies, do you think that they don't worth the points?
They are fine in doing this; sometimes you just need to nail one unit off a backfield objective and that's enough, and DCA are certainly cheap enough to act as a suicide unit.

I can drop them (within the others henchmen) and take two units of 6 x Henchmen (3 acolytes with bolters, 3 acolytes with meltaguns/plasmaguns/2 melta + 1 plasma) in a Razorback with psybolts ammo and searchlight (2 x 105).

This leaves me with 50 pts to spare, maybe 5 Psykers or 5 Acolytes with 3 meltaguns in the Stormraven?
I'd keep the DCA, but drop one of the melta squads. Then give the other melta squad the 3rd meltagun, and use any remaining points to grab Psykers, maybe with a Chimera if points permit.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
That's fair enough I guess, I am just not a fan of suicide squads.

Perhaps I should, but I have never used a unit for a role in which I know it will die.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's fair enough I guess, I am just not a fan of suicide squads.

Perhaps I should, but I have never used a unit for a role in which I know it will die.
Or perhaps I should not, too many years with Tyranids made me forget the value of life!

I'd keep the DCA, but drop one of the melta squads. Then give the other melta squad the 3rd meltagun, and use any remaining points to grab Psykers, maybe with a Chimera if points permit.
You mean it'll be better take one bigger Henchmen squad with 3 melta + psyker + meatshields (sorry for this word but read above) in a Chimera or just spend the remaining 80 -roughly- points in walking Psykers and keep the razorback?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You mean it'll be better take one bigger Henchmen squad with 3 melta + psyker + meatshields (sorry for this word but read above) in a Chimera or just spend the remaining 80 -roughly- points in walking Psykers and keep the razorback?
I'm saying consider turning this:

5 x Henchmen - 40
3 acolytes with bolters

psybolts

6 x Henchmen - 44
4 acolytes with bolters

psybolts
Into something like:

5 x Henchmen
2 acolytes with bolters
3 acolytes with meltaguns

Transport: Razorback
psybolts

5 x Henchmen
5 Psykers

Transport: Chimera

I haven't checked points, but I think this costs slightly more than what you have already, so you may need to make some cuts.

The chimera and razorback should also have searchlights.

Reactions: 1ale4

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll try a little the list before introduce Psykers, just because I really don't like the models!

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You can always use other models for the psykers.

The only thing that has put me off them in the past is their ability to disappear in a single "Peril". The same could be said for a Land Raider tho' and it costs a bit more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What models do you suggest? I looked at the GI ones and they are terrible, both the Sanctioned ones and the Primaris. I've also looked for them on FW site but I didn't find anything!

Just for curiosity: if you have henchmen, what models did you used? After a long research I've decided to take a Kasrkins squad for Acolyte and DE Wyches for DCA.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Some of the High Elf models might work as Psykers, or even the Empire Flagellent bands for a more grimdark look.

I have a squad of Tau with scout heads and GK arms as Acolytes and I have made some DCA out of howling banshees with new heads. I also did some Sisters of Battle types out of Dark Eldar but I am going to rework them.

If I can get enough heads I may well make all my henchfolk out of Tau with IG heads.

Reactions: 1ale4

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What models do you suggest? I looked at the GI ones and they are terrible, both the Sanctioned ones and the Primaris. I've also looked for them on FW site but I didn't find anything!

Just for curiosity: if you have henchmen, what models did you used? After a long research I've decided to take a Kasrkins squad for Acolyte and DE Wyches for DCA.
The 'official' models are the sanctioned psyker models, although I doubt that means anything to anyone. Flagellants are a pretty common conversion.

For Acolytes, most people in my area just use SM scouts. They're lightly armoured and have boltguns, so generally people are fine with them for WYSIWIG.

Wyches are the standard conversion for DCA, I'd almost be bold enough to say there are probably more Wyches being used as DCA than actual DCA models, at least in the competitive scene.

As an aside, if you need a Crusader, I've personally just used a WHFB Dwarf Warrior with axe and shield. It's technically WYSIWIG, and usually gets a good laugh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As an aside, if you need a Crusader, I've personally just used a WHFB Dwarf Warrior with axe and shield. It's technically WYSIWIG, and usually gets a good laugh.
Official GW FAQ stated that due to his height, a dwarf crusader only gets 5+ inv save.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
For Acolytes, most people in my area just use SM scouts. They're lightly armoured and have boltguns, so generally people are fine with them for WYSIWIG.
That would be my preference but it is a pretty expensive option.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If only Karskins were plastic ........ maybe ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If only Karskins were plastic ........ maybe ?
I've bought them because they are the closest models to imperial stormtroopers, even if I think they're a little over-armoured (and over-priced!).

Cadians have macrocephalics heads too, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts