Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo so i painted up this Ripetide. I was wondering if you lot think i could sell this for $170. Im not used to selling painted models that iv'e purchased. I do a lot of commission work and for the most part i only charge about $30-$40 on single box units. But i bought the riptide and put the 8 hours into it so i was thinking of trying to get double its value. so do you think $170 is the right price. Originally i was considering 50 dollar gain. But its my cousins birthday and i was going to buy him some 40k stuff and paint it for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yo so i painted up this Ripetide. I was wondering if you lot think i could sell this for $170. Im not used to selling painted models that iv'e purchased. I do a lot of commission work and for the most part i only charge about $30-$40 on single box units. But i bought the riptide and put the 8 hours into it so i was thinking of trying to get double its value. so do you think $170 is the right price. Originally i was considering 50 dollar gain. But its my cousins birthday and i was going to buy him some 40k stuff and paint it for him.
The way i see it, it is only as valuable as some mug punter is willing to pay for it, so go for it.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Its a little difficult to gauge a price based on those photos, If you want the best price for it presentation is important, ebay is a great source of customers but its also a harsh task master, if you have low feedback and a poor photo then you may not even get the price of the model back let alone make a profit, then there is the postage to take into consideration, after all that model needs to arrive looking as good as your photo and in one piece, plus there is the fees to take into account, it will cost you to list the model, it will cost you when the model sells and it will cost you again when someone pays you with paypal, and trust me those fee rack up......But if you do sell it and you start to build up feedback and a reputation for good work you could quickly turn it into commision work, thats how i started, i sold off my painted eldar to fund my black templars and off the back of those sales i got two regular customers who wanted me to paint armies for them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Its a little difficult to gauge a price based on those photos, If you want the best price for it presentation is important, ebay is a great source of customers but its also a harsh task master, if you have low feedback and a poor photo then you may not even get the price of the model back let alone make a profit, then there is the postage to take into consideration, after all that model needs to arrive looking as good as your photo and in one piece, plus there is the fees to take into account, it will cost you to list the model, it will cost you when the model sells and it will cost you again when someone pays you with paypal, and trust me those fee rack up......But if you do sell it and you start to build up feedback and a reputation for good work you could quickly turn it into commision work, thats how i started, i sold off my painted eldar to fund my black templars and off the back of those sales i got two regular customers who wanted me to paint armies for them.
Wow, that's really cool.

OT, I think you might. Definitely going to need better pics though. Also, how are you going to try and sell it?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i get you the pics arent that great im on vactation right now so i took it with my phone. I honestly would feel like an asshole selling it for double its model value. so maybe ill charge 140 bucks for it. I used to have tons of commission work when my local game store was still up and running. used to do vehicles for 10 bucks and squads for 20. Painted a lot of tau stuff and space marine stuff.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
yeah i get you the pics arent that great im on vactation right now so i took it with my phone. I honestly would feel like an asshole selling it for double its model value. so maybe ill charge 140 bucks for it. I used to have tons of commission work when my local game store was still up and running. used to do vehicles for 10 bucks and squads for 20. Painted a lot of tau stuff and space marine stuff.
Well, if you have experience in painting Tau then odds are you know you're good at it and I'm sure better pics will do the model a d your work some justice, more so than a cell phone camera. Odds are you could probably get the $170 for it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would be nice gonna buy an airbrush finally so maybe i can do models in a more reasonable time. one of my methods ive had to develop to paint large scale models without paint streaks is to dry brush the base coat on top of primer. It adds texture to the surface to grip paint easier without clogging up all the fine details with thick paint. also if done correctly you dont get that topical texture you get from a full dry brushed model.

·
Registered
0 Posts
From what i can see it's well painted. The issue i can see is there are seem lines and a couple cut marks that are visible. People scoff at the notion of professionally assembled models but assembly is very important. Also the model is lacking any special kick that makes it stand out compared to other models out there. No weathering, no OLS, etc.

I don't sell enough on Ebay to give you a sense of what you will get for it and i do have a very critical eye so your standard buyer might not see our care about what i do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd have to agree with Djinn24 on this one. The model is done extremely well from what I can tell but it lacks something to make it stand out on the battlefield and therefore make it stand out on eBay.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the opinions I really like criticism on my work it makes me better and also makes me put more attention to details. I have a tau playing buddy who wants to take the model off my hands. Probably charge him my usual fee since he is a repeat customer so probably $115 maybe $125

·
Registered
28 Posts
It looks real good, however take into account what you think your wage is per hour and calculate accordingly. +- an hour.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts