Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wanting captain/chapter master that can deal a lot of damage. At the moment I have a captain in termie armour with thunder hammer and eternal shield, but I want an open that isn't just solid but can deal out a lot of damage/attacks both ranged and melee, what would you suggest?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
For a beatstick? You want a Chapter Master on a Bike with Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal and the Burning Blade (Power Fist if you're not willing to spend that much). That's about as hard as you'll get, because Marine HQs aren't very good at punching people; they're more about utility and pay for it. You'll never get a combat HQ as good as Chaos/Orks/Daemons because your Codex wasn't designed for it, in my opinion. Still, the described Biker will devastate a lot of people, so he's hardly a bad choice.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think a chapter master twin lightning claws, artificer armour and melta bombs is ok choice as well, but i have to agree with midnightsun that chapter master is a beast.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of unit should I put him with, I have some bikers unbuilt and Im thinking of getting a vanguard assault squad for the melee weapons etc to make a command squad.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd probably just run him solo; there are no close combat bike units in the SM Codex, so you'll always be wasting either the HQ or the unit.

If you want to run him in a unit, stick him in a Land Raider or Drop Pod with Honour Guard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
command squad can be very combat oriented if you throw a couple power weapons in with apoth and a champion.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If you want to put them all on bikes, then they're hugely expensive and still not particularly tough or good in combat. They come out at a very high cost for a unit that's not particularly good at shooting or combat and can't score.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just for fun you can outfit the bike command squad with Storm Shield and power weapon (mix and match for AP and I to your liking)...adds like 60pts (25 for SS/PW + 35 for bike) per model (making a 5 man unit around 400 points), but will give you a relatively mobile and tough (T5, 3+,3++, FnP) dedicated CC unit to tool around with a killy Captain.

As impractical as it is, I have been wanting to do one like that with Lance and StormShield...for the classic cavalry charge. :biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
as for the sm hq, im partially inclined to take teeth of terra, arti armor and storm shield on my captain/CM (generally packs out very well).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just put together a command squad on bikes, turns out I already had most of the bits already. Anyway what I made was an apothecary on bike, a company champion on bike with sword and combat shield, a veteran with a two handed thunder hammer (normal TH of course just on about the looks) a veteran with a power fist and a veteran with a lightning claw, it came in at 235 points, 15 more than my current shooty terminator squad. I think the squad may actually be tougher due to the jink save, fnp and toughness it has a little less ranged fire power due to the loss of the assault cannon but I think it is more adaptive and reactive in combat.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Two handed TH is interesting on a bike :grin:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Art Armor, Burning Blade, Shield Eternal, Black Templar Chapter Traits. Dont get no better.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have the big mk II two handed chainsword from forgeworld as well and I'm thinking of giving that to my captain, although I dunno how to add a storm shield if I do that. The weapon would count as the teeth of terra relic weapon.

Art Armor, Burning Blade, Shield Eternal, Black Templar Chapter Traits. Dont get no better.

I think I'm going to use the white scars tactics for the bikes.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just thought would it be ok if I put my captain/chapter master on the passenger side of an attack bike? So he's sort of using it like a chariot?

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
That could certainly look badass. Then he'd have a little platform to ride on, and just swing his weapon around while his underling hauls him around the battlefield.

This would take up more space than a simple biker, though, making it marginally harder to keep him out of line of sight. Not a huge issue, really, but could matter if big guns are pointed at him.

·
Registered
113 Posts
is
Chapter master 225
Armor indomitus
Double lightning claw
melta bomb

actually decent if you stick him in honor guard?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts