Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just starting Necrons, don't even have any Necron models yet.
From how I take in C'tan, they seem ungodly, but with saves like that, it shouldn't be long before they're dead.

Any encounters with the Necrons?
Ever played them?

Spill some strategies. ;D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I collect necrons
i don't entirely know the rules
but it's good to start with the box set with 20 necrons, 3 destroyers etc then buy a lord and build on from there
I personally am obssessed with pariahs as they carry warsytths (allowing absolutely no saves) and can shoot on the move, unfortunately the 36 points each and u can only have ten in an army.

The greatest thing about necrons is you can choose any colour scheme unlike tau where mettallic looks diccy and nids which must be 'organic' necrons (with the right skills) can look awesome no matter what
(my scheme's read and silver like in the codex, it's sweeeeeeeeeeet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, can't help much with strategies, i don't really need the rules but I have heard the scarab swarms can be useful against tanks if they have disruptor fields (thank you Quiet Earth). A part from that, the few games I layed, I strayed from combat and only just scraped a win, som don't be afraid of combat, their good at it, besides that read the codex, the phalanx idea doesn't sound bad for a large army

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well as a non necron i can say take enough warriors so i don't phase you out or protect the warriors you do have..there what i'm gunning for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, can't help much with strategies, i don't really need the rules but I have heard the scarab swarms can be useful against tanks if they have disruptor fields (thank you Quiet Earth). A part from that, the few games I layed, I strayed from combat and only just scraped a win, som don't be afraid of combat, their good at it, besides that read the codex, the phalanx idea doesn't sound bad for a large army
No idea what phalanx pertains to.
I'm assuming a bunch of warriors to keep phase out low, and then just a few heavy things.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ok, strategies wise, lots of warriors, say 3 full squads, maybe two (thats 60 models if you take the three, lots of tough guys to try take out) so that almost guarantees not phasing out. after that, say 2 squads of 3 destroyers for mobility, and dont forget their guns always glance on a 6. 1 or 2 squads of HDs to provide that extra anti-tank. a monolith is a must for any decent army. take a lord with destroyer body, res orb, phylacetery or whatever it is. maybe a lord on foot too. after that its your choice.

ok, place 2 of the warrior squads on the board to provide a good count so you dont phase out first turn by some stroke of luck for the other player. keep the others in reserve. deepstrike monolith, as it moves other models out of the way. it should survive that turn aswell as dealing out d6 attacks to every unit within 24 inches to clear the area. move your destroyers and HD's into strategic firing positions. keep moving the destroyers to the juciest targets. use the HD's to take out any large vehicles that may hinder your progress or kill your monolith. it should be third turn by now, so bring in you necron warriors from reserve on the 3+ they have a good chance of coming in. use the monolith portal to bring them in, and have them sitting right in the heart of the enemy, reay to cause havoc. after that, clean up the scraps :) ohh, put the lord by himself, but always behind another unit so he cant be shot at. have him racing to where he is needed most.

thats all i got for now :wink:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I really think Destroyers are far superior to Heavy Destroyers. In a squad of three you get nine shots, six of which should hit, which boils down to about 1.5 hitting on a six thus giving you an auto-glancing hit. I know it is very meta but it works. A glancing hit means the vehicle can't shoot and that is really what you are worried about.

Steer away from Pariahs, honestly, they're not worth no matter how cool the models are. Flayed Ones are nice as are Wraiths. Being an old Tomb King player I have an affinity for Scarab Swarms. A nice sized army should consist of a Lord with a Res Orb, two units of Warriors, a unit of Immortals, two units of Destroyers, and the rest can be filled in to taste. I reccommend a Monolith in a game of 1500 at the bare minimum but ideally in games 2000+.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on that note, WBB is referring to apocalypse, and the necron monolith phalanx.
That's what I thought.
But I also thought that phalanx referred to some Necron strategy where groups of warriors move in a phalanx with destroyers along the edge or something.

At any rate, WBB, I can't really use the phalanx, unless I end up playing any Apoc games.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i play Necrons and have done for the past 5 years. make sure you have a good phase out number, ignore pariahs for 1000pts and lower they are too exspensive and don't count towards phase out. Give every lord you have/get a ressurection orb they are great and annoy your opponent a lot, warscythes are great the best combat weapon in the 40k game. lots of destroyers are must their 3 shot long ranged weapons which they can move and shoot are perfect for tank busting and infantry mashing. You could have a monolith in 1000pts but it is a bit of a gamble, I tend to save it for 1500pts+.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's what I thought.
But I also thought that phalanx referred to some Necron strategy where groups of warriors move in a phalanx with destroyers along the edge or something.

At any rate, WBB, I can't really use the phalanx, unless I end up playing any Apoc games.
Sorry bout the confusion, I really don't have many strategies as i'm really new but trust quietearth, he hasn't given me any bad advice yet,.
Also don't waste points on C'tan, I may have said previously do it (i don't remember) but there really not worth it, tomb spyders really aren't bad, helping you get back up and create scarabs, otherwise if al else fails just experiment with trial and error

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's what I thought.

im not sure about the destroyer and warrior formation, but glad to be able to clarify things
yeah, as WBB said, trial and error is a good form of testing etc, as well as advice

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I think that nightbringer is somewhat viable, especially against eldar and orks. His ability to push back units with strength 3 can have a huge impact on people trying to attack you with harlequins and stuff like that. I probably wouldn't take him in a tournament set up though.

The dominant necron strategy is destroyer spam I think. Infantry and monoliths combine well against assault armies though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think the main reason people don't use the C'Tan is not because they aren't good, it's because they're pretty cheesy.

I've never had experience with a Tomb Spider so I can't be sure of their effectiveness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The C'Tan really is not worth it. your opponent will ignore it (one shot a turn and moves like infantry) or can kill it (abbadon or fire warriors). that said it is nasty if it gets to do its thing.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I think the C'tan are perfect for missions with center based objectives. Well, I'm not sure if they can contest/control objectives or quarters, but they can sure keep the opponent from being able to...

·
Registered
76 Posts
the trouble with C'Tan are that they cost so much. they will serverely reduce the number of necrons in your list, making your amry more prone to phasing out, which is bad. in <2000pt games theyre not worth it. really what you should be doing is having a lot of warriors, supported by destroyers and a few heavy destroyers, with a monolith in larger games.

a lord or two with a res orb is a must. with out them playing aqainst IG with lots of battlecannon will really ruin your day. veil of darkness is superbly useful in games where you need to hold objectives. you can wait until the last minute to use the veil and capture them. warsythes, although good on paper, dont really make up their points. unlike the pariah verions they dont come with a built-in gauss blaster so your lord looses his shooting ability. if your lord ends up in combat too often your doing something wrong.

Pariahs, immortals and flayed ones all suffer from the same problem. they are too expensive. its better to spend the points of more warrios or destroyers.

dispite their 3+ invunerable save wraith die very quickly against any army that has guns, or squards bigger than 6. not really worth it.

scarabs are only really useful as speed bumps. against vehicles they can only do in combat what the rest of your army can do from range. have some if you have a few spare points and nothing else to spend them on.

tomb spiders are ok. they have a reasonable stat line for their points and the ability to make speed bumps can be useful. their low WS and BS let them down however. if your oppontent is inexperienced at fighting necrons it may draw some fire off the rest of your army. down to personal preference really.

heavy destroyers are your main tank killers. they do the job much more efficiently than the rest of your army. they are also the only things that can kill super heavies in a apocalypse. however in <2000pt games its not worth taking more than 3 unless you expect to play against a lot of tanks.

monoliths are excellent in 1500+pt games. they are really hard to kill, let one unit of necrons make 2 WBB rolls a turn, or it can fire its S9 AP2 ordnance gun. very much worth it in larger games.

to sumerise:

a lord or 2 with res orbs, possibly one with a destroyer body
lots of warriors
3-9 destroyers
0-3 heavy destoryers
1-2 monoliths in 1500+ games

thats the staple of most good necron armies.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like the idea of Necrons with no Destroyers.

Lord - Resorb/Veil
Queen(Lord) - Resorb/4++
2x 10 Flayed Ones
3x 20/20/10 Warriors
2x 3 Wraiths
1x Monlith
2x 1 Spyder

Things you usually don't see in Necron lists that when used properly, taking advantage of all of their special rules, you can really put a dent into most any army. I really like the idea of multiple teleporting Warrior units and 4 dedicated assault units with WBB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts