Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I've said this in other threads but you can take mono-god lists that aren't really mono-god lists. You just get similar looking models to take their place. For example you could take some space wolf Thunderwolves and with a bit of conversion work you can make them into what would be essentially chunky Flesh hounds. Now you could run these as Seekers of Slaanesh or perhaps Beasts of Nurgle.

I've seen kit-bashed Bloodletters with some Tyranid Gargoyle wings run as counts-as Screamers. There's plenty of opportunity here; daemons are a bit like orks in that you can make anything look daemony with enough patience and green-stuff. Tzeentch is especially good for this, being the god of change and mutant-ness... I also see Nurgle doing good with making other armies' stuff look like Nurgle stuff. Heck, add a few boils, some pus and paint it like a vegan's bowel movements and you're good to go. Tzeentch? Throw in a relevant colour scheme and just add an extra limb here, a few eyes there and obligatory tentacles and you'll be laughing.
I've been making hypothetical mono-god lists in my head for a while now, and the only way I could see myself swinging Khorne is with some "Handmaidens of Khorne" (read: Daemonettes) thrown in there...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've been making hypothetical mono-god lists in my head for a while now, and the only way I could see myself swinging Khorne is with some "Handmaidens of Khorne" (read: Daemonettes) thrown in there...
Which would work superbly. :) I'm trying to get back into Daemons and rather than buying a whole load of new models I'm going to try and get a hold of an ultrasonic bath and strip the paint from my old ones.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm really hesitant with going full out on daemons, I like to be in control of things and the list seems a bit sporadic and unusual, especially when my experience is in playing marines.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well if you want reliability with Daemons, there a 300 point reliability tax--called Fateweaver. Unfortunate, but that's the way of it...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
So I hardly ever (read as: never) play 40K or Fantasy any more. I'm still tempted to get an ultrasonic bath and re-start my Daemons. I'll be doing table-top standard stuff on the airbrush (As much on the airbrush as humanly possible).

Do I drop the £35 on an ultrasonic cleaner?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've said this in other threads but you can take mono-god lists that aren't really mono-god lists. You just get similar looking models to take their place. For example you could take some space wolf Thunderwolves and with a bit of conversion work you can make them into what would be essentially chunky Flesh hounds. Now you could run these as Seekers of Slaanesh or perhaps Beasts of Nurgle.

I've seen kit-bashed Bloodletters with some Tyranid Gargoyle wings run as counts-as Screamers. There's plenty of opportunity here; daemons are a bit like orks in that you can make anything look daemony with enough patience and green-stuff. Tzeentch is especially good for this, being the god of change and mutant-ness... I also see Nurgle doing good with making other armies' stuff look like Nurgle stuff. Heck, add a few boils, some pus and paint it like a vegan's bowel movements and you're good to go. Tzeentch? Throw in a relevant colour scheme and just add an extra limb here, a few eyes there and obligatory tentacles and you'll be laughing.
So says the many many many many many different source books for WFB and W40k that Daemons only look like they do in the eyes of the person who is looking at them. So you could have 2 people standing next to each other who have lived in the same place and had mostly the same things to do their whole lives. 1 sees a bloodletter as the thin red pointy horned daemon with the big brutal sword that they make the models look like. The other could see it as something the size and shape as an Ogryn covered from head to toe in spikes and sharp blades jutting from its skin.

I frequently used things like

as Screamers (old SpaceMarine / Epic40k Harridan)

or

as Spawn of Chaos / Beasts of Nurgle (old SpaceMarine / Epic40k Bio-Titans)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mono Khorne list without requiring any 'counts as' is easily doable and quite nasty;

HQ: 'Thirster
Karanak
2x Herald w/Rage or Hatred Locus + Jugger + Axe of Khorne

Elites: 4-6 'Crushers w/full command + Axe of Khorne on champ (Karanak here)

Troops: 2+ units of 10-16 'Letters w/full command

Fast: 2x 10-16 Flesh Hounds (Jugger Heralds here)

Heavy: Khannon
Grinder w/Torrent
Prince w/Wings, Armour, Exalted Reward

Karanak scouts the 'Crushers forwards and can tank S8-9 shooting hits. Going second, you can easily pull off T1 charges from these guys.
Jugger Heralds tank S8-9 wounds for their Hound squads, and add some ap2 attacks that instant kill on a 6 to-wound.

Lots of very fast moving targets, and thanks to the 'Crushers, an Icon to Deep Strike your Troops into the game.
Use the 'Letters' Instruments and you can pull the 'chain gang' tricks to bring in double units!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Very doable, yeah, but I just plain find Crushers too fragile for their points. Yeah, you can Grimoire them, but... still. So Karanak goes in the Bloodletters with an icon bringing in Skarbrand, and... I really don't want to bring more than one unit of 'Letters, when 'Nettes are cheaper, faster, and better able to kill a broader range of opponents.

Nonetheless, it's a fair point. It is, of course, doable.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do you guys think I have the makings of an army with what I currently have? I'm planning to get a box of horrors and a soulgrinder next.

Khorne Daemon Prince
Bloodthirster
Herald of Khorne
Herald of Slaanesh
10 Bloodletters
10 Daemonettes
10 Plaguebearers
5 Seekers of Slaanesh.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks like a start. I wouldn't have gone for Khorne Prince though, I would have gone flying Nurgle (as he is better due to 2+ Cover Saves and all). The next things I would go for is Soulgrinder as said and Hounds of Khorne maybe led by a Khorne Herald on Juggernaut.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I've had him for a while, recently the stuff I got is the three troop choices, I don't mind not using stuff I already have though. Is it better to have big units or smaller units in regards to troop choices?

If needs be I don't have to use the khorne prince or the bloodthirster, but as I've said elsewhere I've never used FMC before so I should probably try get some experience with them.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
You'll probably need more Seekers for them to be a useful choice (1-3 more boxes, as fits your taste). And, honestly, probably another box of Daemonettes, too. They are both excellent units, just fragile as all hell. More Bloodletters (5 or so if possible, a box if not) or more Plaguebearers would also be useful. Daemons have fragile troops, so should generally be fielded in large blocks.

I'd consider hacking the wings off that Bloodthirster and making him a Skarbrand, so he can tear tanks apart with Armorbane, and DS in off your Bloodletters, and buff your Daemonettes and Seekers, etc.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I want to go for a sturdy force, rather than a fragile force, I hate seeing my troops get shot up before they even do anything. Once I get a unit horrors and the soulgrinder I'll then either add units like the hounds or expand my existing units as suggested.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Your kinda bound to get shot the crap out of as Daemons. Nothing had great toughness and the best normal saves you get is your daemonic 5++. The only real way to stop yourself being shot up is things like Seekers, Fiends, Hounds to a lesser extent Beasts, Drones. All of which can try to run into your opponent quickly and start combat early.
Other sneeker ways of doing such things are buying defence lines and things that have to be placed in "your half of the table". So that means you can stick it out in no mans land with just enough space for you to run behind them on the first turn (if you get it). Same goes for Bastions what are great with Bloodletters in for BS5 Heavy Bolters or Horrors as they can still fire the witchfire spells out as well as the bolters.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Do horrors provide an additional warp charge if you have ten of them and then 2 warp charges if you have more?

I'm competing in my stores 5 unit challenge which is to construct and paint 5 units by august from scratch, so far I have done 10 khorne bloodletters 10 daemonettes and just got 10 plaguebearers, my next unit will be 10 horrors, so then I have one more unit to decide on and I'm wondering whether I should boost one of my existing squads.

I'm also going to be using daemons as allies for my 30k Word Bearers as well as summoning them, so I'm unsure which unit is best to improve. Horrors may help with generating warp charges to summon more as well as adding some fire power which I'm lacking.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Do horrors provide an additional warp charge if you have ten of them and then 2 warp charges if you have more?
To be precise it's like this:

1-10: 1 warpcharge
11-15: 2 warpcharges
16-20: 3 warpcharges

Which is why people tend to bring them in bunches of 11, to min-maxing your warpcharge points :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok cool, well I've written a 1k army list up if anyone wants to check it out here. Whilst I'd like to get some horrors I guess army wise it's better if I bulk out my bloodletters and seekers first.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts