Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at my store there's a sort of event where you gradually get 5 units and build and paint them over the space of 2 or 3 months, I recently got a bloodletter unit to go with the herald and bloodthirster I already have. I also have a unit of seekers and slaanesh herald so I'm planning to get a unit of daemonettes next. Afterwards though I'm wondering whether it's best to explore the other unit types such as plague bearers and horrors or should I bulk out the bloodletters and daemonettes more.

I want to get a good feeling of the army which is why I was considering getting one unit of each which would give me 4 out of the 5 units but I'm unsure whether its a good idea in the long run, any advice?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Daemons are a bit of a mixed bag. If you check a few other posts on here you will see the general designs.

Main troubles come with it can be hard to design just 1 army to fight every opponent.
Against MEQs you tend to need Bloodletters because of the higher strength and AP3 weapons. Daemonettes are better against low armour troops as you have more attacks to play with.
One of the big things you are missing and normally included in all lists is a Soul Grinder. This is your heavy hitting tanky thing. With Phlegm Bombardment and can kill marines with a large blast (kinda a battlecannon), you can also with a bit of cover for him you can happily give him 2+ cover save if you mark it with Nurgle. It can also be a bit of a beast if you get it into melee.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Against MEQs you tend to need Bloodletters because of the higher strength and AP3 weapons. Daemonettes are better against low armour troops as you have more attacks to play with.
i disagree on this. bloodletters are rarely a competitor for damonettes.
slaaneshi daemons are faster (fleet and +3"run) have more attacks, cost less and well...they have rend! with 20 daemonettes you can overwhelm any marine unit, any MC, even tear apart rear AV 10 vehicles... also, they got boobs and booty.
ABout the soulgrinder, why havn't you bought one already? make it slaanesh for fast cc, make it nurgle for extra cover, make it khorne for..well for nothing i guess, make it tzeentch to reroll saves of 1 (not so good) and blast the sky with the AA cannon and go warp gaze when you get near the enmy or phlegm if you want to keep distance. It's a beast!!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Well maybe it's personal preference, but i started out with a mono-god list. Got it up to roughly a 1000 points and then I expanded into the other gods from there.

Personally, I rarely use Bloodletters or Plaguebearers anymore, as I think the Daemonettes win on a offensive slot (They strike first, the have more attacks and they can take down Ork Boyz as well as Terminators with their rending) and the Pink Horrors (combined with ruins, for that lovely high cover save with a re-rollable 1's) win on a defensive.

I would recommend that you try and find a playstyle that suits you and then we can look at what god suits your playstyle best. Then you can bridge out once you have enough points to get the ball rolling :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will be getting the bigger stuff like a soulgrinder eventually (eyeing up the FW one) it's just I'm looking at the units for the mini campaign at my store, so stuff I can get in store which has multiple models.

My next purchase will be slaanesh daemonettes, I do want an offensive list but I still want the ability to hold my sides objectives, so then was going to get a box of horrors and plague bearers. Then I was going to get a skull cannon and a tzeentch chariot, then the soulgrinder and perhaps the nurgle daemon prince from forgeworld

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
about the skull cannon if you like the model go get it, but from a gaming perspective...i've never senn nor heard of a daemon player fielding one. it's just bad. the burning chariot is usable in 7th.a about daemon princes, nurgle all the life, with wings please, for a nice 2+ cover! (thanks to jink)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I thought the cannon was pretty good on it especially with the whole grenades thing. I play eldar a lot, and so the ap and ignore cover coupled with the strength is pretty good at taking them out imo.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mh...AV12, Vp5 no cc capabilities, no AA capabilities and just 20 pts less than a Soulgrinder... nope. not for me. :)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has hammer of the wraith and Gorefeast, it has to be hit on it's front armour in combat due to being a chariot. Lets units strike at Initiative when charging into combat, seems like a decent support vehicle. They either shoot at it or shoot at the soulgrinder or the tzeentch chariot and it has an invulnerable save. I think I'll give it a try, I think it suits my style and I love ignorant cover against eldar.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
ignorant cover
lol this just made my day :D

of course you should give it a try! You must play the way you feel more adequate to you, plus it's a good model, imo.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I have used the Skullcannon to great success actually; Against Orks and Tyranids it's awesome due to it's AP and ignore cover. It completely thrashes Ork Boyz with Kustom Force Field and Nid armies with the Zoanthrope cover bubble.

I usually bring one of those and one Soulgrinder when I play against these armies, for that reason alone. Did I mention that if it hits a Zoanthrope, and it fails it's invulnerable save, it also instant kills it, due to being STR8?

It might not be the top of the line, but against horde armies with a lot of cover in their armies, it can be absolutely devastating and (not to mention) a lot of fun!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
if you seek ignore cover goodies, try to ally with some noise marines (Slaanesh lord, aura dark glory, brand of skhalatrax, power maul -130, 10 cultists, flamer -55, 5 noise marines with blastmaster -125)
for 310 pts you can have a piece of ignore cove nastiness to complete your daemonic army!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I use a Skull Cannon on occasion if I'm running, say, 3 blocks of 20 daemonettes, plus flesh hounds and/or seekers, for the ability to strike first when charging into cover. Add Skarbrand giving Rage and Hatred, and you're in for some nifty alpha strike...

My top units for Daemons:

HQ: Lord of Change, Karanak (if in Bloodletters with, say, an icon to keep Skarbrand from scattering, since he gives the unit Scout and +2 to DTW), Skarbrand

Troops: Daemonettes. Horrors/Plaguebearers have their uses, but I only take Bloodletters as a icon delivery system for Skarbrand and Karanak

Elites: -

Fast Attack: Flesh Hounds. Cheap, fast, and tough for a Daemons unit (T4, 2W). Tie up enemy units so they aren't shooting at you. Second place: Seekers are basically Daemonettes that are twice as fast and have more attacks, but lose super-scoring--well worth the 3 more points per model I say. Maybe Screamers for some anti-tank capability, or Plague Drones to DS in Nurgle units without scatter.

HS: Soul Grinder is great, especially with Phlegm and Nurgle. Not super competitive but fun are the Skull Cannon, and the Burning Chariot might well be playable now that 7e treats the rider as not having moved. Also Daemon Princes as super-expensive glass cannons...

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Daemons have good potential unless you are going mono god list. Nurgle and to some extent Khorne cannot build lists that will be able to to take on many armies. Although the Nurgle Herald can give a nice FNP buff to any unit it joins with the right locus, the amount of cover save ignoring weapons means the slow plod across the board for Plague bearers will result in too few getting into combat. And even then having only a single WS 3 attack is hardly a scary prospect.

Bloodletters are slightly better being able to run and having very powerful HtH ability, the bloodletters are going to attract massive amounts of fire power serverly reducing the number that can get into combat.

You certainly need to mix god types for a chance to win with a Deamon army, but mono lists can be fun.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I'd argue mono-god can work. Nurgle can DS in GUOs using Plague Drone icons, has excellent 2+ jink save DPs, and has solid objective holders in plaguebearers. Sure, Slow and Purposeful means no running if you DS in a block of plaguebearers, so enemy template heaven, but... all that Biomancy On FMCS and MCs. Plus all that poison and touch-of-rust means that practically nothing can avoid getting rotted.

Khorne is a lot tougher than Nurgle with the FMC nerf, but if you're willing to stretch the limits of "mono-god" to include Be'lakor, you can still bring a DP or Thirster. Meanwhile, Skarbrand and Karanak complement a block of 'letters with an icon well: Karanak scouts them forward and gives awesome anti-psychic buffs, and they can DS Skarbrand in to unleash some serious pain. Bloodletters are a bit lackluster for being the most expensive troops choice, but... Flesh Hounds swamping the board make up for that a bit.

Slaanesh is happy with mono-god, spamming telepathy, outflanking perhaps. Mobile, vicious, and frailty counterbalanced by Invisibility, Shrouding, and possibly Grimoire. Maybe a shot at Cursed Earth or two, too.

Tzeentch can always just daemonfactory.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my first taste of using daemons the other day albeit a squad of blood letters and a herald, shooting of the dark eldar hurt, he threw a unit of wracks, some trueborn and character, the herald cut them down down as did the three remaining bloodletters.

On the whole I can see how devastating they can be, but I think I was to reckless with them, I'm not used to aggressive forces, especially those that could be considered glass cannons. Thinking of picking up some plague bearers next.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The big prob with Plague Bearers is that they end up being VERY slow as they cant run. So frequently need to make sure you can deep strike them in. Having Plague Drones with Icon to allow them to strike in without scatter, or have some other unit with icon to strike on to with a limited scatter.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The big prob with Plague Bearers is that they end up being VERY slow as they cant run. So frequently need to make sure you can deep strike them in
...aaand being unable to run, they are kinda template fodder the turn you bring them in--especially against templates, which ignore their cover boosts. Still, they are certainly the toughest Daemons troops choice!

Ways to buff survivability of fragile units: using Grimoire of True Names on them (Fateweaver is a very expensive way of making Grimoire a lot more reliable, along with his other benefits); bring a lot of Daemonology to try to get Cursed Earth; bring a lot of Biomancy on your Nurgle/DP big monsters for Iron Arm; bring a lot of Telepathy on your Slaaneshi/DP/Be'lakor for Invisibility and Shrouded; bring a lot of Tzeentchi stuff for Forewarning.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've said this in other threads but you can take mono-god lists that aren't really mono-god lists. You just get similar looking models to take their place. For example you could take some space wolf Thunderwolves and with a bit of conversion work you can make them into what would be essentially chunky Flesh hounds. Now you could run these as Seekers of Slaanesh or perhaps Beasts of Nurgle.

I've seen kit-bashed Bloodletters with some Tyranid Gargoyle wings run as counts-as Screamers. There's plenty of opportunity here; daemons are a bit like orks in that you can make anything look daemony with enough patience and green-stuff. Tzeentch is especially good for this, being the god of change and mutant-ness... I also see Nurgle doing good with making other armies' stuff look like Nurgle stuff. Heck, add a few boils, some pus and paint it like a vegan's bowel movements and you're good to go. Tzeentch? Throw in a relevant colour scheme and just add an extra limb here, a few eyes there and obligatory tentacles and you'll be laughing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts