Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not played since 5th edition due to work, but now I have the time again to get back into the hobby but don't want to buy anything until I have a playable list in place.
Here is what I think is the best list I have came up with. Let me know what you think ppl.

HQ-Sanguinary P w/VE,BP
Chaplain w/ JP

TROOPS-Tac squad w/ VtSgt,handflamer,flamer,HvyFlmr,RHINO
Tac squad w/ VtSgt,Combo.elta,melta,HvyFlmr. RHINO
5 Scouts w/CC,4xSR,HvyBltr(hfs)

ELITES- 8 Death Co. w/JP's,PwrFst,PwrSrd,
5 Hammernators

FAST ATTACK-5 Assault marines w/ combimelta,2xMelts,RHINO
5 Assault marines w/ combimelta,2xMelts,RHINO
LandSpeeder w/ MM,HB

HEAVY- Vindicator w/ seigeshield,strmbltr,OCE
Vindicator w/ seigeshield,strmbltr,OCE
Stormraven w/ assltcnn,TLMM

Not sure if I should be taking more elites, but from what I've gathered by reading the forums watching youtube batreps etc is that its alot more shooty nowadays. Plus there are all these new formations and allies stuff that make it quite daunting to get back into the hobby which also brings me the question "are blood angels competative"?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I think I got the gist of your list, though a few spaces and a decision on short form or initials might help that wargear be a bit more legible. I assume those are 10 man Tactical squads based off their weapon selections.

HQ-Sanguinary P w/VE,BP
Chaplain w/ JP
Put Valour's Edge on your Chaplain. I assume the Priest is running with the Hammernators in the Stormraven, your DC need all the at-Initiative AP2 they can get. Trust me on this one, 2+ armour in CC is definitely their weakness even with dozens of wounds in CC.

TROOPS-Tac squad w/ VtSgt,handflamer,flamer,HvyFlmr,RHINO
Tac squad w/ VtSgt,Combo.elta,melta,HvyFlmr. RHINO
I'd ditch the veteran sergeant upgrades as well as the combi-melta and hand flamer. Personally I prefer to play them meltagun/heavy flamer because there's literally been dozens of times that lone melta shot has paid off out of the back hatch of a Rhino. Dual flamer templates is pretty fun too.

ELITES- 8 Death Co. w/JP's,PwrFst,PwrSrd,
5 Hammernators
Personally I'm not a fan of Hammernators (or really Terminators at all) in BA lists because they're so damn slow and can't Sweeping Advance. I'm still assuming the Priest and Hammernators are in the Stormraven together, and this will work for you so long as your opponent has no anti-air to speak of. If they do and they get to blow up your Flier you're only gunna be putting a couple Terminators on the board based on those 3+ invulnerable saves. I advise caution there.

DC I just want to see get up some more bodies, anything I suggest to drop put the points toward them.

FAST ATTACK-5 Assault marines w/ combimelta,2xMelts,RHINO
5 Assault marines w/ combimelta,2xMelts,RHINO
LandSpeeder w/ MM,HB
Those combi-meltas are going to get used once, maybe, so long as your Rhinos don't get flat-tired and you end up walking the rest of the way. I'd leave it with the two weapons you know you're going to be firing unless you're putting them in a Drop Pod for an alpha strike against armoured targets. Landspeeders I pretty much only play with typhoon missile launchers and heavy bolters to keep them at range because AV10 worries me. First Blood can win games.

I think we're up to 60 points shaved if you like my ideas so far, plenty to put another two DC into the squad and swap that sword out for a power fist. Walkers are the other weakness of the Death Company, specifically AV13 ones or Walkers with It Will Not Die and/or invulnerable saves.

HEAVY- Vindicator w/ seigeshield,strmbltr,OCE
Vindicator w/ seigeshield,strmbltr,OCE
Stormraven w/ assltcnn,TLMM
Beauty. I'd be tempted to play the Stormraven with twin-linked lascannons for more secure airspace and to reach backfield armour since you aren't playing Drop Pods and don't seem to be Deep Striking anything.

That being said:

Not sure if I should be taking more elites, but from what I've gathered by reading the forums watching youtube batreps etc is that its alot more shooty nowadays.
40k has always favoured shooting in my opinion, or at least in the opponent's armies that I have faced over the years and various editions of the rules (I've always been playing BA basically). I recently listened to a podcast of the three things BA need changed in a Codex and I thought it was an utter joke. Take the internet with a heapload of salt, there's decent advice out there but you gotta know when to just play your own matches.

Plus there are all these new formations and allies stuff that make it quite daunting to get back into the hobby which also brings me the question "are blood angels competative"?
There are a lot of Formations these days. Even rumours that 40k will switch to an entirely Formation-based list making system (which I personally wouldn't be looking forward to). Most if not all of the BA ones are utter tripe, with the sole exception of the Archangels Detachment from the Shield of Baal: Exterminatus book. Some people like the Flesh Tearers Detachment because it can offer a lot of Battle Brother Drop Pods to other armies, but I'm in this to play BA not proxy models for rules. As for the second half of your statement: BA are not very competitive in a Tournament setting unless you face people that aren't bringing the latest power builds. I've beaten a lot of heavy hitting stuff with my army because I know it really well, but I still lose to a bunch of Pod'd Centurions with Librarians casting Invisibility on them.

Hope this gets some thoughts churning pal! It's good to see another BA player emerge on the boards :drinks:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice ntaw, excellent breakdown, after reading your reply and going over my list I realised I f****d up the math it was 1952 but taking your advice on board I have dropped the veteren sergeants and their weapons, the land speeder and the terminators and given the priest a jump pack, and added 5 sanguinary guard with chapter banner and 2 infernus pistols, now the stormraven can stay empty and be a gunship only. Its going to take a while to get this army together and painted which I plan on doing a project log to keep me motivated. Again thanks for the input, the basic plan of the army is throw all but my troop choices at the enemy while my troops go about there business. Attack!Attack!Attack! Thats the overall plan.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
priest a jump pack, and added 5 sanguinary guard with chapter banner and 2 infernus pistols
This unit will make you much happier I think. Way more in the vein of BA play (until we get the same Super-Formation treatment that other armies have gotten maybe) as far as I'm concerned. Again though, these models have the same weakness as the DC but cost more points. Walkers screw them over (5/6 krak grenades is not gunna get you anywhere if you get in combat with one) and also Terminator squads/2+ armour squads ruin their day. Personally I tend to play either the DC or SG with attached HQ using Valour's Edge to assist with at-Initiative AP2 and I always sneak one of those gloriously cheap power fists into the squad. If the inferno pistols are in there as a melta strike, Assault squads do it better out of Pods for -way- less.

....and let's not forget about Dante. That dude wrecks face in combat.

the basic plan of the army is throw all but my troop choices at the enemy while my troops go about there business
I play 20 Tactical marines in every game I get involved with and they're always following up the combat elements I have. Rhinos are mobile cover for tables with sparse terrain, and 20 marines is a great way to support combat squads in a game that favours shooting.

Feel free to toss up any plans, I love me a good BA list. Glad to see you're not just rolling with Red Marines and using all teh best Formations from the Space Marine Codex. Stay strong!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The infernus pistols were to use up points only, but s'pose I could drop one for a fist. Personally for me I think all the formation carry on should be kept for apocalypse games. And finally I believe it to be a better challenge trying to come up with a winning list from the one codex without allies etc than mashing together say 3 different codexes into the one army. Oh who should I make the Warlord? Priest or Chappy?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Wow. Sorry for the late response, Heresy likes the taste of my posts and noms them from time to time.

Chappy as Warlord, that invuln save being the deciding factor.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
:laugh: no worries man. I don't even know how I find the time to get on Heresy with two jobs and a baby to take care of.

Hope you're able to find the time for some games! That's where the real fun is at anyway :eek:k:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts