Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Get things going- First Fantasy Tactica Wars discussion thread!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Vaz 
#1 ·
So now that we have brought in a Fantasy Version of the Tactica Wars, and currently posted up the Rules and Intro threads, it is time to start thinking about the first Tactica War here!

Basically, this thread is to decided what kind of tourament we are going to have here. Right now, we're probably going to have a normal, average knock-out system tournament ("normal" meaning no special and funky rules and such). But, I would like to hear from everyone what points limits should the this tournament be? I'm not an expert on this game really, so I would like to hear from the Fantasy Players on which points level we should play? I would prefere a level that can buy a fair amount of units, but nothing too big either. Probably nothing over 2250 really.

So, post your opinion (and a reason please!) on what poinits level this should be. Also, any suggestions to how this first tournament should be run (after all, this is a discussion thread!) can be posted here also. :grin:

#2 ·
My vote is 1500. It's enough points for 3 reasonably geared heros and avoids lords. Any higher and it starts to become too many units to keep track of in a tactica posting such as this. Any lower, and there aren't enough points for a diverse army, so "cheese" lists such as dragon oger spam become problematic.

#7 · (Edited)
See, I was under the impression that games became more interesting at 2000 and up. But hey, I can see writing tactics for 1500 being easier.

Try a 1500 one, if it's too dull, maybe 2000-2250 would be more interesting!

As for 2000 and up allowing "cheese", surely that's the point of having these tactica things, finding ways you can think of to beat the more powerful lists and convincing people it would work.

#8 · (Edited)
I have always tried to get 2000pts on the field, but if everyone votes 1500 im happy with that(just means i cant take a black orc warboss on wyvern, or an uber dwarf lord, or a greater deamon or a skaven warlord(which do i choose?)-damm).:p

#11 ·
2000pt Games are good, 2500 pt games are fantastic... And Cheese? There's less cheese than there is in 40K, and 40K 'cheese' is easy enough to deal with.

Cheese? Because somebody spams an effective unit? Cheese is when Archaon is a Core unit choice and costs 10pts.

Learn to play, and don't complain about cheese, basically.

Not that my vote would make a difference, but 2000pts.

#13 ·
:laugh: Spoken like a true powergamer. As far as I'm concerned, "cheese" is defined as anything that can wipe its arse with any and all units worth a similar number of points which haven't been specifically designed to counter the "cheesy" unit in question.

That said, it's not really an argument I'm keen on taking part in. And for the record, 1500 works for me. I'd normally say 2,000 or 2,250, but then Vaz'd bring Kholek and it'd all go downhill in a storm of metagaming from there :p.

#17 ·
Great Cannons aren't cheese, because they are designed specifically to take out things like 400 point dragons. Fire 'em at anything else, and they're hard-pressed to make back their points. You don't get "Look out, sir!" against Archaon or Kholek.

But I'm biased against Special Characters in general, so take everything I say on the subject with a grain of salt. They just annoy me, is all.

Also, your point about metagaming is true, but only up to a point. One can reasonably surmise that, given the opportunity, you'd take one or both of the above mentioned characters, in light of your widely expressed views on them. Also, your WoC list would have to go through me - and if I decided to compete, and saw Kholek on the roster, it might take more willpower than I've got* not to build specific countermeasures into my own list! :p

*Judges are people too, after all - I can't help it if I've got only slightly more self-control than a rabbit on LSD.

#18 ·
I thought Cannons were just to rip into Castles and big Infantry blocks... Bah...

I might not be taking Warriors of Chaos either. Just to let you know ;). =P

Why doesn't Archaon get Look Out Sir? He's a Cavalry model, after all.

Metagame away. I'll still beat you =P. It's game on, homey. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.