Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the army symbol for the genestealer cult in WD was a curled tyranid like symbol. At first I thought this was the tyranid symbol as no symbol appears in the current tyranid dex. However it was then brought to my attention that a symbol does appear in the Leviathan supplement for the tyranid faction. It is similar, but it is not the same. It resembles a mirrored version of the symbol used by genestealers. So it appears the two are different factions?

In the WD it states to use Genestealer Cults in 40k;

"All units in the Ghosar Quintus Broodkin have the Genestealer Cult Faction. Genestealer Cults ally in exactly the same way as Tyranids, as described in the Allies section of Warhammer 40,000: The Rules."

So are they tyranids for the purpose of allying? Or like tyranids, do they as a faction ally with nobody?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whilst I hate that people tried to lawyer this as "Genestealers are their own individual faction and can only ally with themselves" (I'm referring to people who've never read the fluff, and have zero interest in RAI / the narrative) my angst in this particular case isn't directed at you Serpion5, as at the end of the day it is ambigious rule and makes for a valid question.

Fortunately GDubs jumped on top of the issue, with the form of a tiny statement tucked away in a white dwarf:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts