Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im just curious to see what everyone thinks of loken. As you can see by my name i love loken. Its so refreshing to see an astartes who somewhat cares for the people he fights for. From the very first line in horus rising i have been loyal to loken.

Now, i understand some people were not to fond on loken surviving istvaan(to each there own), but i really like this decision because, to me, loken captures every part of the luna wolves, every part of what it means to be a space marine, and, i feel, it all has to end with loken. What i mean is, the story shoud come full circle. Where loken started the series off, he should also end it.

I also have one juicy prediction, tho i could be completly wrong. I feel loken will play a major part in Aximands death. It could be loken defeating him in combat during the seige, but i think......loken will be dueling abaddon on the VS during the seige, Aximand will finally see what has become of his legion, turn loyal once more,charge abaddon, then get crushed to a pulp. Just a threory.

So, what do you guys think of Garviel Loken?

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I believe we see that beauty in Loken's character much predominately before Istvaan. I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for. That was the most beautiful ending I think any hero could have ever gotten. Granted, I think another author would have highlighted it more, however, that almost godlike image about what the astartes are to humanity from Horus Rising vanishes. His death really showed that part of the Imperium that is devoted to loyalty and the Imperium. Even in the face of sure defeat and actual defeat, it gave the character something that was really taken away from him with his revival.

The most awesome characters die man, its how it is. I just wonder how people would feel if the characters from the Night Lords trilogy came back to life, simply because someone thought it would make Abaddon's Great Crusade a lot more interesting. Or worse... Horus is back to life... because he is what really makes the Chaos Legions what they are.

So I mean, not a big fan of Loken coming back to life. Granted the ending was left to interpretation, but I think thats Ben Counter's bad writing trying to cram in.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe we see that beauty in Loken's character much predominately before Istvaan. I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for. That was the most beautiful ending I think any hero could have ever gotten. Granted, I think another author would have highlighted it more, however, that almost godlike image about what the astartes are to humanity from Horus Rising vanishes. His death really showed that part of the Imperium that is devoted to loyalty and the Imperium. Even in the face of sure defeat and actual defeat, it gave the character something that was really taken away from him with his revival.

The most awesome characters die man, its how it is. I just wonder how people would feel if the characters from the Night Lords trilogy came back to life, simply because someone thought it would make Abaddon's Great Crusade a lot more interesting. Or worse... Horus is back to life... because he is what really makes the Chaos Legions what they are.

So I mean, not a big fan of Loken coming back to life. Granted the ending was left to interpretation, but I think thats Ben Counter's bad writing trying to cram in.
I totally agree that a dead character should stay dead....except loken. To me it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for.
This. It has made a mockery of what he stood for, a man who fought against what he believed was wrong, even as he knew it was a hopeless fight. His revival, and then how he was portrayed in VS, is just plain ridiculous, and I really think he was only brought back to sell more audio dramas.

To me it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.
That's what Garro's character was all about. He was doing a pretty good job of it too, without having to bring back what was best left dead.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I loved Loken as a character in the opening trilogy. However, I wish he had died in Galaxy in Flames to represent the death of the Great Crusade (and the Luna Wolves) and to add emotional resonance to Horus's betrayal.

My views have only been reinforced since he has returned to the series and his portrayals have been annoying and sub-par. Especially in Vengeful Spirit where he and his plot bored the life out of me.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.
But that to me, goes against everything that is 40k. There is no happy ending, there's no version of this story where the good guys come out on top, to paraphrase old Tony Stark slightly. Loken, Tarvitz, Demeter and others all show that end of the golden era that was the Great Crusade, and the start of the decline into the hell that 40k now is.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
But that to me, goes against everything that is 40k. There is no happy ending, there's no version of this story where the good guys come out on top, to paraphrase old Tony Stark slightly. Loken, Tarvitz, Demeter and others all show that end of the golden era that was the Great Crusade, and the start of the decline into the hell that 40k now is.
An utter shite hole... much like modern day glasgow.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
think i preferred it when Loken was dead, at least his death, the final battle between the mournival, Abbaddon and Aximand against Torgaddon and Loken, signified the end of the golden era for the Luna Wolves. It also set up Aximands guilt at the deaths of his brothers and the meloncoly over wether they did the right thing, and Abbaddons ruthlessness becoming more than it already was.

When they brought him back it did defile everything that he as a character had achieved and to resurect him in such a marval comics fashion was just wrong. If i want that i'll go re read the many resurections of Jean Grey or Elektra.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
think i preferred it when Loken was dead, at least his death, the final battle between the mournival, Abbaddon and Aximand against Torgaddon and Loken, signified the end of the golden era for the Luna Wolves. It also set up Aximands guilt at the deaths of his brothers and the meloncoly over wether they did the right thing, and Abbaddons ruthlessness becoming more than it already was.

When they brought him back it did defile everything that he as a character had achieved and to resurect him in such a marval comics fashion was just wrong. If i want that i'll go re read the many resurections of Jean Grey or Elektra.
Your post has one big flaw. Loken wasnt resurrected and infact was never even written as being killed. This is the first positive thing for the loyalists in the heresy.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Because he SURVIVED. i suspect his part will be far greater than you could even imagine
"The ground shuddered as though in the grip of an earthquake and loken felt his prison of debris shift. Hard spikes of pain buffeted him as flames burst across the remains of the parliament building. Then darkness fell at last, and loken felt nothing else"

Pg 403-404, Galaxy in flames, Ben Counter.

I'm pretty sure that this describes lokens final moments before he dies.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"The ground shuddered as though in the grip of an earthquake and loken felt his prison of debris shift. Hard spikes of pain buffeted him as flames burst across the remains of the parliament building. Then darkness fell at last, and loken felt nothing else"

Pg 403-404, Galaxy in flames, Ben Counter.

I'm pretty sure that this describes lokens final moments before he dies.
To me it looks like he just blacked out. I mean yes,the writer ment for it to seem like loken was dead, but only for shock value when we find out he is alive

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.