Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope everyone that who made it had a good time on the day.

It was my first time at the NEC (really great venue) and wasn't sure what to expect... Went with my local shop (Bournemouth) which is an excellent way to get in the 'spirit' en route, I would defo recommend (despite the getting up at 3 o'clock!).

I found the event well organised, and although congested in certain areas, everyone I met or bumped into was polite and good natured and there was a general good atmosphere and camaraderie throughout the day. Highlights for me include the meeting of my child hood heroes; John Blanche and Rick Priestly (both didn't seem to stop talking/ signing or take a break all day!) and seeing the miniature sculptors and 'eavy metal staff revealing mysteries of their craft.

There was a lot to see and do and the time flew past... I'd spent over an hour just going round the GD entry cabinets marveling at the standard and skill on display, a few models really caught my eye (a mounted high elf bsb in the open category kept me coming back), some painting not so great of course but they were at least in the running and I respect anyone who had more bottle than me and entered something...

... Before we knew it the Golden Demon presentation ceremony had started. I felt the prize giving was a bit rushed through, it felt like we were running out of time and had to go soon, rather than being the main event we'd been building towards all day. There were pictures of the main category 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winning entries on the big screen which was cool and as the artists came forward to claim their prizes... Not exactly silence but for the few thousand standing and the hundreds more seated all around there was the merest whimper of applause - a bit weird, and then the worst thing of all, a well known and respected painter from Spain won a gold and from somewhere behind us I heard booing :angry:. Of course this is unacceptable behavior at any event and even though the booing was just a few twats probably still miffed about the world cup, I still felt there was a general lack of respect for all the artists - even the demon slayer sword didn't get much ovation although you could see in the winners face how much it meant to him... It was the most awesome diorama I'd ever seen (my favorite category and rarely a slayer sword winner) truly amazing work and deserving of a bit more recognition...
Does anyone agree? Or am I just expecting too much from people?
How did you find it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rather ironically I was chatting with Nick Kyme while the slayer sword was being awarded...

I think I would have been tempted to thump the booers, but sadly there will always be a few morons without a shred of human decency at any large event.

I had an awesome time, the details of which can be found here.

I'll definitely be going next year but will be trying to buy stuff before so that on the day I have more time to look around and chat with people. I missed the Heresy Online get together because I only just discovered the thread, D'OH! I also found people to be really friendly and I loved the fact that I was surrounded by people who are as excited by GW's stuff as I am. A rare opportunity for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read your review of the day Phil and shall defo revisit your blog. I know what you mean about the queues, a companion of mine spent most of the day shopping (I had to lend him a tenner just so he could get his third Rhinox!) meanwhile I just soaked up the atmos and made a nuisance of myself taking pictures and hero worshipping! There is a knack to getting the most from these things by getting stuck in to the areas you love (I avoided the whole THQ/ Ultra marines film stuff).
Here are a few pics of the day:-

Warren from BOW; what a thoroughly nice chap!

John Blanche was so generous with his timeand energy all day

One of my faves

smile please Andy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since when do i ever smile!!!

As for the lack of applause and the booing... yes very disappointing. Clear winners in my opinion! How are you as a kid supposed to be inspired to become a great artist when there is little or no appreciation which unless i am very much mistaken... is half the joy of entering and winning.

Oh well... At least i got my Rhinox! Took a while though!

·
Registered
196 Posts
while I do agree thatthere was a lack of enthusiasum for the winners and the slayer sword was definitly deserved by Darren Lantham, there was a bit of displeasure at the judges choices. Personally I still say Mark Lifton should have won the Duel catagory, I've held that piece in my hand and its just some of the most incredible painting I've ever seen.

GW really needed to work on the general hype for Games Day, while I was quite into it at the end of the day it took a while to get excited about the whole thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.