Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shamelessly stolen from Bell of Lost Souls!

The trial is underway in Chicago in open court.

Trial Location and Schedule

U. S. District Court
219 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, IL 60604
Tel: 312-435-5684

Judge Matthew F. Kennelly - Courtroom 2103

The Court sets aside the following dates for trial in this case:
June 3, 2013 (a.m. session - jury selection; p.m. session - trial),
June 4-7, 2013, June 10-11, 2013, and, if needed for closing arguments, the morning of June 12, 2013.

The trial day typically will extend from 9:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 or 1:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., with morning and afternoon breaks. The Court notes that this is longer than its typical trial day. The Court reserves the right to extend any given trial day to 5:30 if warranted in order to complete the trial within the dates set aside.

Trial Summary

Jury selection is completed, and the trial is underway. Both sides have completed Opening Statements, and the first witness is on the stand:

Alan Merrett - Head of Games Workshop IP

Mr. Merrett's testimony was hours in length, initially focused on explaining Games Workshop's business to the jury. Some highlights from his testimony:

-A Realm of Battle board was pulled out to show the jury to help explain what wargaming is.

-Games Workshop was described as being producers of "Toy Soldiers" and their game systems as being "infinitely customizable".

-Mr. Merrett described Games Day to the jury as a Games Workshop event that allowed customers to perform their "favorite hobby activity; buying things from Games Workshop".

-It was explained that Games workshop uses no traditional advertising outside of word of mouth and social media based online communications. Customers could simply google for their products and find thriving communities of eager fans on websites such as "Dakka Dakka and Bell of Lost Souls".

-Warhammer 40,000 was described to the jury as "Warhammer Fantasy in space", along with describing the Eldar as "Space Elfs", along with other "space" factions such as "Space Orcs".

-The Dark Eldar were described as "spikey, evil, and every other evil cliche".

-The Tau were described as "modern sci-fi; more traditional sci-fi" in appearance, as opposed to the archaic aesthetic of the other ranges.

Testimony is ongoing.
I'm really not sure how in touch Alan Merret is with his customers but buying GW products rates pretty low on my list of favourite parts of the hobby, my wallet screaming in pain and wife threatening to leave me for wasting money takes the shine off things.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Shamelessly stolen from Bell of Lost Souls!

I'm really not sure how in touch Alan Merret is with his customers but buying GW products rates pretty low on my list of favourite parts of the hobby, my wallet screaming in pain and wife threatening to leave me for wasting money takes the shine off things.
Oooo...I wonder what today will net us.

In Merrett's defense he's trying to he's trying to simplify everything for a jury who may not know anything about GW, wargaming or the kind of impact this could have on the company.

And from what I've heard buying things seems to be largely what Games Day is about. :laugh:

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Yeah Zion is right, lets be honest we would be lucky if even one of the jury members even knows what Wargaming is let alone actually plays any. So it needs to be heavily simplified what GW is and what they do.

So while buying may not be the highlight, to a few it is, all I see it as is honest lies. - yes I know it's an oxymoron but I couldn't think of a technical term if there is one -. So it's not a matter of being out of touch it's just simplifying beyond layman's terms :p

But this will be interesting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, would be really interesting.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
-Mr. Merrett described Games Day to the jury as a Games Workshop event that allowed customers to perform their "favorite hobby activity; buying things from Games Workshop".
He has a funny way of looking at things.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In Merrett's defense he's trying to he's trying to simplify everything for a jury who may not know anything about GW, wargaming or the kind of impact this could have on the company.
This is absolutely what Merrett was doing. Anybody who takes some form of offence to his simplifications is being stupid and naive, this is a court case not an introductory game.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is absolutely what Merrett was doing. Anybody who takes some form of offence to his simplifications is being stupid and naive, this is a court case not an introductory game.
I don't take offence at the statement, I just think he could have put his point across in a better way. Buying things is rarely people's favourite part of anything, unless they are addicted to shopping of course. I have to do food shopping from time to time and the queues in the supermarket are often very long indeed, it doesn't mean people are enjoying themselves, I'm certainly not.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
This shit still going on? Christ how long has it been?
That was all summary judgement stuff. This is now in front of a Jury and should have a verdict by next week.

I'm keen to see how this plays out as if GW loses this it could hurt their IP if they aren't poised to do a rapid re-branding to secure their IP in a better fashion.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
-Games Workshop was described as being producers of "Toy Soldiers" and their game systems as being infinitely customizable".
I can see Chapter House using this line right here to their advantage. There is no way GW has the proper patents / legal rights to cover every type of model etc. in an "Infinitely customizable" game.

Uhhhh..... Lying in a court room is a criminal offense
This case will be interesting. I strongly feel there is a lot of "Grey Area" in this case. Unless the judge and jury can really pick through everything with a "fine tooth comb" I don't see this ending soon.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Sorry to sound out of touch, which I usually am, but what is this trial about?
Well a little company called chapterhouse studios decided to produce low quality after market parts that are compatible with gw kits, then proceeded to use gws own terminology to sell them , then they got bolder and produced conversion kits for some codex entries tjat GW had yet to release, so GW sued them,GW pretty much expected them to cave in as tjey were tiny and had no money for a legal defence, but some bright spark at a huge law firm gave them probono defence so this shit has taken two years and a shit ton of money to get to trial.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
They're actually under a hard deadline with a jury result due by the end of next week.
Really? uh oh... I see this ending poorly for GW then. I think the jury will not see the entire issue as the models chapterhouse are producing are not exactly the same they are parts to add to the ones GW has produced. I could be wrong but I think Chapterhouse may squeak by in this case.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Sorry to sound out of touch, which I usually am, but what is this trial about?
Loooooong story as short as I can:

Chapterhouse Studios is a 3rd party company that makes after market stuff specifically for use with GW products. They also have made things specifically to replace GW models or to act as replacements for models GW didn't have out (namely the Spore Pod and Tervigon for Tyranids).

GW took issue with this, as they are legally required to when concerning anything IP related, and sent a C&D. Chapterhouse told GW to basically go fuck themselves. They have spent the last year or so in a legal battle and are now past the summary judgement phase and at trial by jury.

This trial will affect what GW can defend as IP. If they lose it badly it could cripple the company forcing a re-branding to more protectable terms, images and design elements. It could result in a major shift in 40k as a whole, or not at all as protecting this IP is how GW protects its bottom line and can continue to bring us the games we play.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Considering the "summary" nature of the original post, I wouldn't be surprised if the "buying things" comment was snipped from a larger comment of activities at Games Day. More fun to just clip out that one "sound-bite" though.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Loooooong story as short as I can:

Chapterhouse Studios is a 3rd party company that makes after market stuff specifically for use with GW products. They also have made things specifically to replace GW models or to act as replacements for models GW didn't have out (namely the Spore Pod and Tervigon for Tyranids).

GW took issue with this, as they are legally required to when concerning anything IP related, and sent a C&D. Chapterhouse told GW to basically go fuck themselves. They have spent the last year or so in a legal battle and are now past the summary judgement phase and at trial by jury.

This trial will affect what GW can defend as IP. If they lose it badly it could cripple the company forcing a re-branding to more protectable terms, images and design elements. It could result in a major shift in 40k as a whole, or not at all as protecting this IP is how GW protects its bottom line and can continue to bring us the games we play.
EDIT:
Really? uh oh... I see this ending poorly for GW then. I think the jury will not see the entire issue as the models chapterhouse are producing are not exactly the same they are parts to add to the ones GW has produced. I could be wrong but I think Chapterhouse may squeak by in this case.
There is still an appeal process in which case it'd go to a higher court and so on, which I expect both side to use, but really if GW loses anything it'll be the ability to protect certain things without changes. So if they lose I see them changing them fast and locking down the new Trademarks as needed to keep their IP solid.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Should also be noted GW may also win and its chaptethouse that gets shafted into the dirt and have to pay GW a shit ton of damages and be forced to close, and to be honest this needed to happen, even if GW loose some of its IP it will mean they know how and what to do in the future to protect stuff correctly, personally i think chapterhouse fighting the case has done them a ton of damage in the community and forced GW to re think how they and what they release.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Should also be noted GW may also win and its chaptethouse that gets shafted into the dirt and have to pay GW a shit ton of damages and be forced to close, and to be honest this needed to happen, even if GW loose some of its IP it will mean they know how and what to do in the future to protect stuff correctly, personally i think chapterhouse fighting the case has done them a ton of damage in the community and forced GW to re think how they and what they release.
+1

It will be very interesting to see what happens "out the other side" which ever way the case goes.

Does Chapterhouse enjoy popular support as the "Dragon Slayers" ?

1 - 20 of 384 Posts